The Genesis of HAMBsters... (last before the drags 2/12)

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
rx4ord
Old Hand

Re: The Genesis of HAMBsters... (last before the drags 2/12)

Post by rx4ord »

Bloody brilliant read.
So funny and informative.
The site was a mad place to be back then. Political correctorinivenessss is a bit of
shit really.
Really enjoyed those days of yore. Even those days of mineyore :shock: :lol: :lol:

Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
Squiggs

Post by Squiggs »

Does anyone in WA run one of these? Looking to get back in to racing and like the idea of these, are the rules still as posted on the hotrod.com pages?
BS!

Post by BS! »

Is this class still current or is It too late to join the party?

I saw a few guys racing these in qld on the the weekend and they looked like a ton of fun but it is hard to find any current info on the class and what is happening with it.
Drewfus
Old Hand

Post by Drewfus »

Howdy, glad to hear there's still inerest up there, both new and old.

I'll send you a PM, an try to assist where I can, and will try to get you in touch with a couple of guys up there who will have a better handle on the who, what, and where questions should you decide that these are what you want to be a part of, and take further.

The class still exists as such, and whilst there has been people come and go for a multitude of reasons, I'm sure the other guys up there would love to hear from you, and welcome some competition, and participation.

There's no sheep stations to race for, or fancy trophies, and any reward is the result of you achieving your goals, hopefully with friends and like minded people. The primary 'rules' are still the same, with the class bundled under the Altered' rules, with your licence falling under the super street class, although im yet to renew my Andra licence to the IHRA, so not sure myself, but believe it to be basically the same, just cheaper. Again, probably best I get you in contact with one of the guys up there, as they can point you through the nitty gritty, as im a little out of touch now, since ive been distracted in other areas of life in the last period of time.

Will Pm you a name or two, and assist where I can, should you have any building questions or concerns you wish to discuss.

Cheers,
Drewfus
"actions speak louder than words....." & "you can only get an expert opinion from an expert.."

http://www.dayofthedrags.net/
tex013

Post by tex013 »

ANDRA has released an online supplementary rule book listing Hambster with class regs . But if you are racing at Willowbank that won't help. As for IHRA rules - good luck . They have released an incomplete rulebook that may not even be fully up to date .

Tex
My fuel pump is louder than your Prius
spanners

Post by spanners »

I've just travelled up from Newcastle to race at Willowbank. I did it back in February as well and luckily won both times, last week unfortunately due to the Queensland blokes both breaking their motors. The Queensland blokes are really nice and would help out tremendously if asked.
The IHRA rules are pretty much the same as ANDRA and the licence a bit cheaper. Unfortunately because I race at several tracks I've got both. I'll be racing at the Six Banger nats at Warwick in September so if you're down that way come and say hello.
Shirley you must be joking? I'm not, and don't call me Shirley.
BS!

Post by BS! »

Thanks for the reply guys.

I'll try dget hold of the andra rule book and supplements. I was able to visit one of the qld guys yesterday and he showed me over his car. Will see what progresses.
tex013

Post by tex013 »

[quote="spanners"]I've just travelled up from Newcastle to race at Willowbank. I did it back in February as well and luckily won both times, last week unfortunately due to the Queensland blokes both breaking their motors. The Queensland blokes are really nice and would help out tremendously if asked.
The IHRA rules are pretty much the same as ANDRA and the licence a bit cheaper. Unfortunately because I race at several tracks I've got both. I'll be racing at the Six Banger nats at Warwick in September so if you're down that way come and say hello.

another licence for Warwick - or at least a day licence

Tex
My fuel pump is louder than your Prius
spanners

Post by spanners »

Yes Tex. I'm not sure what's going to happen there as I've already entered. My car is ANDRA certified as are a lot of others so could be a long line if everyone has to go through scrutineering.
32V8

Post by 32V8 »

So whats happened since August 2016?
spanners

Post by spanners »

The bracket is still going with Cruzin magazine giving us our own bracket at the Nostalgias which I won 3 out of 3 in 2016. We have a stand alone bracket at Sydney for the championship series which I won in 2014 and was runner up in 2017. Unfortunately the numbers at Sydney are down a bit at the moment with 1 car being sold to Victoria and 2 others moving to Queensland. If the people who say "I could build one of those but my wife won't let me" did build and race we would have more than enough.
I've done over 500 runs in mine in the last 4 or 5 years and have just had my first slightly expensive engine failure. I broke the crankshaft in half requiring another one to be ground. I've done 6 race meetings in a row without opening the toolbox so this bracket doesn't require big money outlays.
Get out there and race I say.
Harv

Post by Harv »

spanners wrote:I've done over 500 runs in mine in the last 4 or 5 years and have just had my first slightly expensive engine failure. I broke the crankshaft in half requiring another one to be ground..
G'day Spanners,

Were you running a set of main bearing bridges (or a girdle)? What redline is the grey running at (anything over the dreaded 6200rpm)?

Cheers,
Harv
spanners

Post by spanners »

No girdle was used and I really think the reason the crank broke is the years of stepping off the clutch at 3000 to 4000 rpm. I don't know if you can see the tacho in the video I posted but it's redlined at 6500 and I regularly pass that.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks spanners, appreciated.

Cheers,
Harv
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

For the politically correct I do not advise reading this.

For people who love a funny,clever story written by many skilled people
I recommend this post.
The pics that are used are great and give you the feeling of being there.

Some of the maddest funny people I know have contributed.

Tassie Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders