Genuinely *HAD IT* with Aussie retailers

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
thatold.chevy

Genuinely *HAD IT* with Aussie retailers

Post by thatold.chevy »

Most of you know I'm building my 29 Chev on a pretty serious budget, in Members Rides.

I'll admit, as an ex TAVO (tight arse valiant owner) I'll willingly scrimp and save where possible, but I'll pay money for the right stuff when I have to, though - brake lines, tailshaft manufacture, lowered springs etc.

Which brings me to my most recent escapade - steering.

The stock Chevy steering shaft is 3/4in. So I'm running new 3/4in bar for the remainder of my setup. To avoid having my chest speared in the event of an accident (and per the NCOP) I'm also running a universal in the shaft, right where it passes through the cowl.

Originally, I was looking at torana unis. Simple, easy and plentiful - nope, rare as hens' teeth and expensive to boot.

So I looked at the custom "double D" shaft style automotive universal joint. I did think about the weld-on type, but mechanical fixing for me please.

A well known WA retailer of this kind of product wants $175 and $19 shipping. Product is "on back order" and can expect approx 2 week delay. Full payment to order in. I ask to see the brand, told it's generic steel with needle bearings.

I don't know who falls for this any more, but I know a drop-shipping scenario when I see it. I ask around locally and someone has just bought one, so I ask to see the box.

Generic. Made overseas. City of origin and manufacture date on box.

It's an eBay uni, all of $40 and change with free delivery within 4 days.

zuffen

Re: Genuinely *HAD IT* with Aussie retailers

Post by zuffen »

I get your grief.

So many parts sold at the well known stores (REPCO, Autobahn, Auto One, Bursons are the same stuff you can get on line but more expensive.

I use REPCO as they are local but if I order a part in I get charged a fee. I could order the part on line and get it cheaper, delivered to my door and it's quicker.

The trouble is so many parts are just total crap. It's really hard to sort the good from the bad.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

If your still after Torana uni's i think i may have some .
scott
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I think you'll find that the NAME brand unis and the cheap unis probably all come out of the same chinese factories. The engineer i use for all my stuff asked if i wanted to go halves in a bulk buy and i told him yes if he signed off on them. He contacted a few manufacturers and got some samples and also tested some name brands. Nothing complied with whatever tests he had to do so you might as well buy the cheaper staff and save some dollars
Regards Bob
thatold.chevy

Post by thatold.chevy »

Sudsy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:12 am I think you'll find that the NAME brand unis and the cheap unis probably all come out of the same chinese factories. The engineer i use for all my stuff asked if i wanted to go halves in a bulk buy and i told him yes if he signed off on them. He contacted a few manufacturers and got some samples and also tested some name brands. Nothing complied with whatever tests he had to do so you might as well buy the cheaper staff and save some dollars
It's funny you say that because comparing this uni with the name brands, I see no difference in metal, machining or finish.
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

A while ago my the crank angle sensor on my VX went intermittent (heat sensistive - common fault)
I ordered a replacement from ebay not sure of the brand.
Installed it. Result was really wierd symptoms/faults.
Went to Ripco and bought a new one sealed in a plastic bag (break the seal, can't return it unless it's faulty).
Went to install it, opened the box - same brand as the ebay one! Too late to return it, box is open. And I wasn't about to install it just to see it it's as faulty as the ebay one. And what about down the track? Having a sus crank angle sensor makes one reluctant to go very far away.
So off to Holden.
Got a real one. Much more expensive, but after about 20,000 k's, still ok.

Repco...
Ripping
Every
Poor
C%@T
Off.
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
Harv

Post by Harv »

jeffa wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:26 pm A while ago my the crank angle sensor on my VX went intermittent (heat sensistive - common fault)
I had a VP Commodore ute that had the same intermittent CAS fault. You know you have delayed the repair too long when you start carrying a bottle of water to douse it and cool it off at the side of the road :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
deuce32

Post by deuce32 »

Oldworks may be able to assist wit a Torana uni. Not always the cheapest but reliable service for Torana and big Holdens. https://www.facebook.com/oldworksau/