Engineering cost

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Mat42

Engineering cost

Post by Mat42 »

Looking for some information for engineering cost I’ve been given a qoute but seems to be a bit out there

My buildi 37 ford pickup

Rebodied certified modified hilux chassis but want to do a few more modifications

don’t need the comments about the chassis that all I have and never had a original

I’ve been given a qoute of 15k for nsw engineer to certify with the other mods I want to do he’s telling me it will be a Icv with these modifications which is fine but it the fee that’s the killer
zuffen

Re: Engineering cost

Post by zuffen »

I had an ICV Certified in 2012/3 and it cost around $9,000 in NSW.

I would think $15,000 is a good number for 2023.

Getting any ICV through is hard so expect lots of work.

What engine are you running?

The list of things to comply with are never ending.

Sorry to be so positive???
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mat42

Post by Mat42 »

Was looking at a efi Windsor out of a falcon

Might have to change might modification plans
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Where are you based.

The State you're in can make a huge difference.

The problem is the chassis requires you to meet a lot of ADR's to register it.

If you used a pre 1948 chassis (or part of it) you could perhaps get it through as a Rod or just a modified car.

I would never recommend anyone go down the ICV route.

If you have a browse through this Thread viewtopic.php?t=47832 you will see how I got my car engineered. The Engineer I used was pragmatic and creative to solve issues.

You need one who is on your side.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

Wow , engineers have gone through the roof with their fees .
Last time i used one here in Vic it cost around $3500 - 4k .
But i suppose the amount of mods can have an impact on price ?
scott
Harv

Post by Harv »

Depends very heavily on what code you are asking the engineer to certify against.

By the sounds of it, your choice of parts/configuration is steering the engineer down the road of the NCOP ICV standards. As Zuffen has pointed out, that is an arduous (and expensive) route.

It would be worth discussing with your engineer what changes would be needed to move away from NCOP ICV and instead comply with the remaining NCOP standards. My V8 EK Holden wagon is NCOP compliant, with the NSW engineering fees less than a third of what you are being quoted for NCOP ICV.

The $10,000 you would save in moving away from ICV would probably pay for a new chassis.

Cheers,
Harv
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

The main problem with ICV is the Engineer has to show the vehicle meets and passes the appropriate standard.

With a modified vehicle the Engineer only has to show the vehicle meets the intention of the Code.

So in one case the Engineer can show a vehicle meets the standard for braking, whilst with ICV he has to test and produce documentation that shows the testing was done and written results.

As Harv rightly points out you could cut the Engineering cost and tip it into to a new/different chassis and go NCOP. Also you may find the car is worth more at the end of the day with a different chassis.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

August 2022 in Vic, mine was $500 for the first inspection,and $1800 for the final fitting of mod plate and certificate. 49 Ford pickup with 350/350 and Jag f/e. Got bounced at first inspection. The stock grille mounted parkers were more than 400mm inboard of the body. Although I had fitted a new laminated screen with app stamping and one door glass as the original had chips. The rest of the glass was required to swap. Rear indicators,although I had cut amber lenses from a later model vehicle, there was no adr or any visible compliance markings, and my crossover linkages for the column auto was at risk of jumping out of gear with engine twist. All simple stuff.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
toprodz
Old Hand

Post by toprodz »

I have recently been talking with my engineer about my Jailbar Bus build, I have a C30 Chev chassis to go under it, I had to send the chassis number to him first so he could check it, it is a July 1979 build,which helps, as he told me early on, that if I was going to use a late model C30 or C3500 it would make it very hard and expensive to engineer and suggested either using the original chassis with the C30 components or an early version which is what I now have, he said to expect the cost to be around $2500 to $3000, which is not that far away from my A Model Tourer that he signed off in November 2022 that ended up being around $2300, which I thought was quite reasonable
Regards
Peter Gough
FOUNDING MEMBER #24 OZ-E-RODDERS ROD & KUSTOM CLUB
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Same cost as mine Pete $2300 all up. I had to box the original chassis. But pretty uncomplicated in the end, considering I just did everything and then just presented the vehicle. The only planning or consult was done a year before when I dropped in to simply ask about the boxing requirement.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Mine was based on per hour spent, so providing as much information as possible helped the cost.
Having website full of information didn't hurt either. ;)
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

By the hour is one method. Mine was simply an upfront quote for first inspection $500 and and then $1800 for the final check and paperwork.And of course the mod plate.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Why is it classed as an ICV. It should be a rebodied vehicle. Then you only need to comply with the ADR's of the year of the chassis as i understand it. In SA anyway
Regards Bob
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Sudsy, not sure it is actually being done as an ICV but the Engineer may be just ripping him off.

Mat42 hasn't clarified how it's being done.
Mat42

Post by Mat42 »

Have talked more with the engineer he wants to class it as a icv because I was want to remove the gearbox cross and centre bearing cross to replace it with a tube X cross member setup if I keep the centre bearing cross member its stays as a Rebody and brings the engineering costs thats all
I can get out of him for now until I pay it a $2000 retainer so he can guide me through the build