Engineering cost

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Sudsy

Re: Engineering cost

Post by Sudsy »

Mat42 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:41 pm Have talked more with the engineer he wants to class it as a icv because I was want to remove the gearbox cross and centre bearing cross to replace it with a tube X cross member setup if I keep the centre bearing cross member its stays as a Rebody and brings the engineering costs thats all
I can get out of him for now until I pay it a $2000 retainer so he can guide me through the build
I think i would be talking to another engineer. Fairly sure that in SA at least modifying x members on a chassis would deem it an ICV. ICV's here are things like Cobras where they have full custom chassis etc. Always pays to shop around for engineers as that piece of paper they have doesn't mean they know what the rules are. Thats why engineering certificates a lot of the time will not be accepted from state to state except by engineers accepted in that state.
Regards Bob
Jacksbits

Post by Jacksbits »

This might help

What is an Individually Constructed Vehicle?

An Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV) is any vehicle that is not a production vehicle and will be used only for personal use; a production vehicle is defined as a vehicle manufactured or marketed in volume for normal road use.

Individual Constructed Vehicles always need a new Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).

If you want to construct more than three vehicles per year, you need to seek advice from us and the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications, and the Arts.

Such vehicles must be certified by the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications, and the Arts prior to manufacture.

Do kit cars qualify as ICVs?

Yes. A kit car is a form of Individually Constructed Vehicle, usually built from a partial or complete kit provided by a manufacturer or supplier. Owners are free to assemble the vehicle in a personally customised form, providing they comply with the ICV guidelines and the National code of practice for light vehicle construction and modification.

If you want to construct more than three (3) vehicles per year, you need to seek advice from us and the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications, and the Arts.

Such vehicles must be certified by the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications, and the Arts prior to manufacture.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

I think I would be posing a question to the Department of Infrastructure as to what impact moving a crossmember has on classification of a vehicle.

Plenty of vehicles have crossmembers removed/added/altered and don't end up as ICV's.

My Range Rover is missing one crossmember and and has another modified but due to having a fibreglass body fitted is classified as a rebodied vehicle.

Yes I'm in NSW but the rules are quite similar from State to State.

I'd certainly be asking questions.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mat42

Post by Mat42 »

zuffen wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:06 pm I think I would be posing a question to the Department of Infrastructure as to what impact moving a crossmember has on classification of a vehicle.

Plenty of vehicles have crossmembers removed/added/altered and don't end up as ICV's.

My Range Rover is missing one crossmember and and has another modified but due to having a fibreglass body fitted is classified as a rebodied vehicle.

Yes I'm in NSW but the rules are quite similar from State to State.

I'd certainly be asking questions.
I’m in nsw also.

Seeing that I’m relocating the gearbox mount i can’t remove or replace the centre bearing cross to keep it as a Rebody I’m being told.

I’m very limited for engineering as I’m 3 hrs from my closest and the next is 8Hr but I’m looking at other options
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

If you relocated the crossmember and didn't tell them they most likely wouldn't know.

Out of curiosity where in NSW are you?
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

I’m in nsw also.

Seeing that I’m relocating the gearbox mount i can’t remove or replace the centre bearing cross to keep it as a Rebody I’m being told.

I’m very limited for engineering as I’m 3 hrs from my closest and the next is 8Hr but I’m looking at other options
[/quote]

I would be ringing other engineers. Doesn't matter how far they are. You can take the vehicle to them to save a bit of $$ as long as they're doing the right thing with the right information. Prefferably someone with plenty of experience with what you want to do and not someone straight out of uni. They need to know the grey areas. Not just what is written in black and white in front of them. The black and white ones will make it difficult
Regards Bob
Mat42

Post by Mat42 »

zuffen wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:17 am If you relocated the crossmember and didn't tell them they most likely wouldn't know.

Out of curiosity where in NSW are you?
I think this bloke would pickup on it I’m 3 hrs west of Griffith nsw
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

I'm pretty sure there's a guy in Bathurst that used to do ICV's. Mostly Lotus 7 style Clubmans.

Sorry I don't know his name but a bit of Googling would find him. Much closer than 8 hours.

What's 3 hours west of Griffith, Mildura?
Mat42

Post by Mat42 »

zuffen wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:38 pm I'm pretty sure there's a guy in Bathurst that used to do ICV's. Mostly Lotus 7 style Clubmans.

Sorry I don't know his name but a bit of Googling would find him. Much closer than 8 hours.

What's 3 hours west of Griffith, Mildura?
Half way between Griffith and Mildura