Bead rolled aluminium door trims

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Harv

Bead rolled aluminium door trims

Post by Harv »

Looking for some advice please.

I'd like to make a set of bead-rolled door trims for an early Holden, similar to this:
Bead rolled aluminium door trims.JPG
I'm not sure whether to try and find a local shop (Sydney) to do the bead rolling, or have a go myself. Some questions please:
a) What gauge/type of ally sheet would suit?
b) I've never bead rolled before... is this a skill I could learn by practicing on say one door trims worth of ally (like learning to use a drill for the first time), or a skill that needs many, many hours of practice (like welding)?
c) I don't do much sheet metal work. If I bought a bead roller, it might get used perhaps once a year for similar, low tech projects. Not much chance of me using it more than that given the projects I do. Any suggestions on a suitable roller?

Cheers,
Harv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Meeksie

Re: Bead rolled aluminium door trims

Post by Meeksie »

b) I've never bead rolled before... is this a skill I could learn by practicing on say one door trims worth of ally (like learning to use a drill for the first time), or a skill that needs many, many hours of practice (like welding)?

Yep it's not too difficult, you should be able to pick it up easily. If you have a powered roller it can be a one person job. But if you use a manual one it will be easier with 2 people as it's difficult to wind the handle and maintain control of the panel as well. I'd suggest getting on you tube and watching a few videos.

c) I don't do much sheet metal work. If I bought a bead roller, it might get used perhaps once a year for similar, low tech projects. Not much chance of me using it more than that given the projects I do. Any suggestions on a suitable roller?

Where do you live? If you are in Perth you can borrow mine, it's a manual one. Not fancy but will easily roll door panels.
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

As Meeksie has commented, it isn't too hard - I encourage you to have a go.

For material I suggest 5005 aluminium 1.6mm BMT.

In Sydney, I mostly purchase from Edcon steel however I use this company for different metals https://www.australwright.com.au/

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks gents, appreciated. I live in Sydney, so a bit far to borrow one (Thankyou for the offer though).

Looks like I’ll buy one and have a crack.

Cheer,
Harv
hewey
Old Hand

Post by hewey »

Hey Harv, have you looked at MotorRRetro? They do full metal work restos, but also offer classes where you get tuition on using the tools in their shop. Might be a good way to kick off by having a pro look over your shoulder while you door your door trims. https://www.motorretro.com.au/
Pariahs C.C.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks Hewey. I ended up biting the bullet and buying a beadroller, so will give them a call.

Their project list looks pretty flash though... wonder what they will think when I roll up in a cloud of blowby fumes in the FB and leave oil stains on their driveway :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Harv wrote:Thanks Hewey. I ended up biting the bullet and buying a beadroller, so will give them a call.

Their project list looks pretty flash though... wonder what they will think when I roll up in a cloud of blowby fumes in the FB and leave oil stains on their driveway :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
I reckon they'd get a buzz from that.
I mean, how retro do you want? An aprentice tin basher turning up in an FB all oily and smokey? :oops:
Straight outa the 60's
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
Harv

Post by Harv »

I bit the bullet and bought a Kang bead roller, the type that sits in a vice. It's nothing flash, but should do what I need it to.

Had a quick play with some scrap painted steel sheet (the weird stuff in the photo is where the paint is spalling off). Fairly easy to use, but will need some more practice before doing the door trims. Straight lines are simple, as you can sight the texta mark in the "u" of the die. Following a tight curve is harder as if you line it up to the "u" at the edge of the die then the place you want to bend (under the centre of the die) can be offset.

Cheers,
Harv
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Mark parallel lines the width of the U in the bead die. That way you can sight off either side and help you through your turns and even your straights will be more accurate. Either that or draw your line half the width off centre. I never just follow a line down the middle.
Also be aware that the single plate type rollers twist when going around tight corners and will not give a good bead because of it. They need to be reinforced like I show here.

http://willyshotrod.com/tools/24inchBeadRoller.htm
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thankyou :) That double-line idea is clever.

Cheers,
Harv