Carter carb problem

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
T1916

Re: Carter carb problem

Post by T1916 »

Hi, Monte

I have the same problem, I a Holley 390 4 barrel carby on my T, if I leave it for a week or more I have to pump the pedal and crank it over quite a bit to start. After that, all I have to do is just turn the key and it starts straight away. Been the same for years, I thought maybe evaporation because I couldn't work out where the fuel goes from the bowl.

Cheers GT.
Harv

Post by Harv »

T1916 wrote:Hi, Monte

I have the same problem, I a Holley 390 4 barrel carby on my T, if I leave it for a week or more I have to pump the pedal and crank it over quite a bit to start. After that, all I have to do is just turn the key and it starts straight away. Been the same for years, I thought maybe evaporation because I couldn't work out where the fuel goes from the bowl.

Cheers GT.
The high-speed air bleeds on the 390 act as a siphon breaker, similar to the Strommies.

Cheers,
Harv
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

Well it seems I have fixed the problem but I have no idea why or how ,I took the top off the carb the other morning and fuel was still in the bowls so that eliminated the theory of reverse fuel feedback I didn't see how that could happen anyway as I put a non return valve in the suction line unless it was leaking into the engine which it wasn't , I put it all back together turned it over without touching the throttle and away it went ,did the same this morning like just turned it over and away it went so no touchy touchy on throttle and it starts fine .I looked up the model number of this carb and its aftermarket carb made by carter with no choke ,model number is 95028,thanks all for your ideas and replies
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Good news Monte. How long were the engine runs before lay off and next morning start?.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

FRANK BASILE wrote:Good news Monte. How long were the engine runs before lay off and next morning start?.
I guess you are thinking evaporation of fuel Frank after the engine gets hot so I will give it a good run today and in the morning will start it to see how we go :D :D :D
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Yes Monte, the theory of some normal evaporation, dropping the bowl level down enough to cause drain back from the accelerator pump. Thinking that the carby has this high
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

FRANK BASILE wrote:Yes Monte, the theory of some normal evaporation, dropping the bowl level down enough to cause drain back from the accelerator pump. Thinking that the carby has this high
All good this morning Frank looks like I fixed it but no idea what i did anyway just took it for another drive and all is good with the world again :D :D :D
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

"All's well that ends well" :D