Ozrodders Forum Future

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
Mudgy
Old Hand

Re: Ozrodders Forum Future

Post by Mudgy »

Good job Rod !
Cheers, Mudgy
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
Newbee

Post by Newbee »

Thanks for your efforts Rod, I look forward to things getting better.

When the forum started having issues, I did a little research and looked at the phpBB (the software developer for this forum), if you look at the bottom of each page it shows the version of the software. This version is quite old in software terms, I looked at features of the latest version and they include photo hosting with an add-on (if my reading of the info is correct).

I think a version update would fix issues and at the same time simplify photo hosting (a bug bare for many users).

I for one would be happy to contribute to this financially to achieve a new better OzRodders.

Happy to discuss with my limited IT knowledge if you want.

Regards Newbee
Harv

Post by Harv »

Many thanks Rod.

If you ever do decide to build the FB/EK COE, give me a yell. 8)

Cheers,
Harv
exaussie

Post by exaussie »

Thanks Guys.

My IT knowledge could written in the head of a pin!

I have a geek son who will be doing the IT side and I'll try and keep the rest running with the assistance of the Moderators.

Phots are an interesting issue as hosting them on the Site is capacity hungry and that just costs more.

I agree the photos are an issue as it drove me mad when I was on the Forum.

Lots to learn and potential improvements to come.
chris spokes

Post by chris spokes »

thanks Rod /Zuffen
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

It's so good to see lots of old members jumping back on here again, welcome back.

What have you all been up to, hopefully you've all got lots of great stuff to share.
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
Newbee

Post by Newbee »

Rod, please see the link below, it’s from the phpBB bulletin board site (for your son as well), it shows a newer version
with a photo image loading extension. The photos are then stored on the Forum, not a third party hosting site.

When you are writing a new post, as well as having the “Preview” and “Submit” buttons there is an image upload button
as well.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... #p14645101

Regards Newbee
exaussie

Post by exaussie »

Thanks Newbee,

I'll follow it up.

Not sure what the capacity consequences are of hosting photos on the Forum. I know Dave never went down that route due to number of photos posted multiple times due to people quoting a Post and the photos follow and that forcing up hosting costs.

We're working with the Forum host at the moment to fix a few broken links we can't get access to. They don't need to do this and they aren't paid to fix problems but they have generously said they will do it, but not as their number 1 priority.

As to whether we bring the hosting one shore or leave it in the States hasn't been decided yet.

The first thing I would like to see is the ability for Members to log in who have lost/forgotten their passwords as that function isn't working. Once working we need to spread the word and I'm sure a lot of the old faces will reappear.

Been fun so far and most satisfying seeing it move forward again.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

So awesome of you Rod.
One request I was asked from people wanting to become members, but couldn't, if they had a gmail account.
I remember when I joined with mine and had to ask Dave to let me because of my gmail. If I remember correctly, he said there were a lot of spammer back then using gmail and why he had put an exception in.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
exaussie

Post by exaussie »

Marcus,

Gmail and Hotmail accounts and similar were the source of lots of spam in the past.

One of the reasons I can't get back in with my old Username is my Gmail account!

This is one thing I would like to address as an awful lot of people don't use a traditional Bigpond and Optus type address.

I'm looking for feedback and I've heard this a few times so something to look into. My son who will be Webmaster was surprised at the situation but when you think about it the Forum has been left to run itself for a few years and things get out of hand.

Dave did an excellent job of giving us all an outlet for our builds but I think life and health caught up with him and it all got a bit much.

Hopefully we can get it sorted in the short term and get it rolling as Facebook just doesn't cut it when following a build. I couldn't imagine trying to follow your build on Facebook. You would miss more than you caught.
Newbee

Post by Newbee »

Excellent Rod, as you correctly point out, the additional storage capacity required for storing photos is an issue.

Before I post a photo I run it through a free program that reduces the file size, so a 2 Mb photo can be reduced by
say 90 %, this is still enough resolution to display on the forum. I have done this to save space on Google Drive
(which I use to host my photos and don’t run out of free storage). I store the reduced size photos in a seperate file on my PC.

The add on software may already have this ability to automatically reduce file sizes, which I would imagine a platform like FB
would do this automatically with the volume of photos uploaded there.

The site Webmaster can control the size of the photo uploads as well I believe.

Regards Newbee
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Just read this wonderful news!

Wonderful in that the forum is not just running, but has a future!, And of course Rod did the work!

Really appreciate your effort Rod, we all owe you big time! Certainly my shout next time!

And, I too am willing to finacially contribute. Too many people come to assume because a computer thingy is free, it doesn't take any effort.
How wrong they are. The free stuff is only there to hook you in and sell something.

I think we will need a new thread entitled: " What ever happened to..?" Where are all the Covid Cars? Did not having a public forum help or hinder builds?

Anyway Rod, thanks again. This is gunna make retirement worth while!

Jeff.

PS: I have always had a gmail account and had no problems?
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
robtus

Post by robtus »

Thanks Rod, I have both gmail ànd my own domIan as email, and have my own website where I post my photos before linking to here. That way I never lose my story. Happy to contribute.
I never make the same mistake twice, I do it 5 or 6 times just to be sure !!!

Making progress, https://www.muston.com/public_html/34%2 ... _Limo.html
chris spokes

Post by chris spokes »

i noticed that PM's look to be working, i sent one to gojeep to test
chris spokes

Post by chris spokes »

chris spokes wrote:i noticed that PM's look to be working, i sent one to gojeep to test
yep it's working he replied 8) 8) 8) 8)