V6 fitting?

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems

V6 fitting?

Post by 666 »

I'm thinking of using a VR V6 and auto in a small body with parts and economy in mind for a everyday user. I am new to later motors so have some questions. I need a rear sump, plus what do I need as far as wiring and computer? Also a ballpark on costs involved. Cheers Peter.
[color=#400040][i][b][list][size=85]-1923 T-bucket
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Re: V6 fitting?

Post by pilot Dave »

Peter there is a guy who advertised in one of my old mags unfortunately I gave them all away
someone on here may remember he had kits for heaps of vehicles hoping this will jolt someones mind come to think of it it was just parts and just cars mate good luck Dave :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-DNj8eSf0
SimonG

Post by SimonG »

pilot Dave wrote:Peter there is a guy who advertised in one of my old mags unfortunately I gave them all away
someone on here may remember he had kits for heaps of vehicles hoping this will jolt someones mind come to think of it it was just parts and just cars mate good luck Dave :D

There is a place called v6 conversions if that is the one that you are thinking about?
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

yes that's the one he seems to have everything needed for a conversion :D
Twin Spinner

Post by Twin Spinner »

Bloke in Moree NSW used to do V6 conversion stuff, haven't seen his add for awhile though.
If it has tits or wheels, you can expect trouble.
ramp

Post by ramp »

Cruzin for the SON
Member Chrysler Restorers Club of Aust. (Vic)
steve the ford guy

Post by steve the ford guy »

There's also the Ford Capri v6
https://www.google.com/search?client=ms ... dTO-PYYEjM
Also used in Transit vans, much easier/cheaper to figure out than the EFI VR v6 Holden engine
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

I think capri mtrs would be hard to source these days
we dynoed Laurie Nelsons I think from memory a few times for Bathurst etc before he went to the mustang

he owned capri components I think he was in Thomastown may be worth a try if you wish to go that way
my old mate Steve Wherrett was fitting a v6 buick into his w/shop gemini van when he passed away it had a Mercedes grille and was owned by garry barker before him some here will know garry im sure owns car shine oops sorry went off on another tangent again :oops: :roll: :lol:

Post by 666 »

Thanks, I have found the website in Moree and it has most of what I was looking for.
I did think of the Capri engine but there hard to find and very heavy. Trying to keep the weight down without making it to complex.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Hi Peter.
You are fortunate with the VR. It is the last of the VN/VP/VR conventional steel oil pan Commodore V6,s so pan mods are somewhat easier . Easier to pull one from a donor vehicle complete with engine harness and computer . The VR trans is the electronic 4L60E. that has a computer control no doubt with interconnect to the engine controller. To make things simpler , grab a 4L60 and converter from a VP . it is the 4L60 that uses the throttle cable control similar to the T700 and T350 etc. I tried shoehorning one of those V6,s into an E36 BMW. Modded the pan and pick up tube.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
37fordpu

Post by 37fordpu »

I fitted Vn v6 into a FJ .I used the original Vn harness and cut and shut the sump which was easy enough due to the steel sump.In the Vn They use one number of pulses to run the speedo and a different number to run the ECU.There is signal splitter in the speedo to allow this.To get around this I got a second pulse generator with the correct numbers of pulses from CAE and piggybacked it to give the 2 different signals.From memory it was 10 pulses for the speedo and 2 pulses for the ECU.
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Twin Spinner wrote:Bloke in Moree NSW used to do V6 conversion stuff, haven't seen his add for awhile though.
I have dealt with the guy in Moree and I can say a real pleasure to deal with and extremely helpful. :wink: :wink:

Post by 666 »

Thanks for the input thus far, makes life easier when you know the tricks.
van460

Post by van460 »

I have a complete VT V6/auto with a conversion kit to suit a gemini with rear sump pas and ac delete, extractors, conversion harness and ecu with pats disarmed and a performance chip

*Full V6 Conversions mounting kit including Idler kit/acc belt, wiring harness and rubber mounts
*Castle Headers extractors and collector, gaskets, flanges etc
*Tail shaft
*VT Engine and 4 speed auto trans, Engine was pulled down, cleaned checked, bores honed
*New rings
*New timing set
*New Mace head bolts
*New gaskets
*New oil filter

Ecu with performance chip and security deleted

selling for what the conversion kit and extractors cost, engine and ecu are basically free
$3500

Post by 666 »

That would make a sleeper out of a Gemini.