Looking Back, A History of New Zealand Hot Rodding

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Andyd

Looking Back, A History of New Zealand Hot Rodding

Post by Andyd »

I have a copy of this book, obtained it from a guy in NZ who is/was a member of the East Bay Rods Inc who published it about 10 yrs ago.......its 112 pages, about 200 black & white pics all pre 1970 and covers various facets of early hot rodding in NZ back to the early 50's if not before............has anybody here in Oz seen a copy or know if a follow up edition was made.....mines # 1010..........Andy Douglas
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Re: Looking Back, A History of New Zealand Hot Rodding

Post by Mr Model A »

it's a great book, mine is no 1439
never odd or even
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Mr Model A........where did you get your book from and do you know if there was ever another follow up edition ?...........thanks, andyd
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Post by Mr Model A »

Andyd wrote:Mr Model A........where did you get your book from and do you know if there was ever another follow up edition ?...........thanks, andyd
I bought it from a bloke selling from inside the big tent at Ballarat swap meet, can't remember who he is, but I think he is a Kiwi.
As far as I know there's been no follow up.
cheers
never odd or even
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Thanks.........its a great read......andyd
28rp

Post by 28rp »

Hello Andy,
I have issue no.1092.As for your question re a follow up edition, No, I do n,t think so...
There was a prequel to it though titled 30 Years of Hot Rodding in New Zealand-very tough to find even in N.Z. I am lucky enough to have a mate in the South Island who is a hot rod mag collector, he was able to get me an issue after a few years of searching.$$$$$$ I believe if you can find one.
Mine is issue no.0188.
It was published to celebrate 30 years of the East Bay Rods Club.
The ISBN No. is 0-473-05499-x is you want to try and dig a copy up.
It,s a fair bit smaller though-only about 63 pages.

Cheers

Ash
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Ash, thanks for the info...my copy came thru me owning the hobby shop, Scale Automobilia and it was in part payment for some model kits if memory serves me correct........its as good a publication as I've seen on early hot rodding although I must admit that the locations are all a bit lost on me but the cars shown are great especially as NZ got their vehicles mostly direct from the US or Canada so they had most if not all of the body styles that we never got such as proper coupes and 2dr sedans.............just a great read that doesn't appear to have been given any publicity or acknowledgement..........Andy Douglas
customfc

Post by customfc »

I have a copy of the book.
Not sure what # though as it is stored in a box.
I bought a couple from NZ, from the author.
There was an article or advert in NZ Hot Rod mag with contact info when it was released.
Regards
Alex
Dragferret

Post by Dragferret »

I attended Kumeu rod run this year, I bought Looking Back #1499 and Looking Back II at the swap meet. East Bay Rods had a tent set up and were really impressed that I'd bought them. Plus New Zealand Rodder magazine is now a thick perfect bound magazine like Rodders Journal and is a real quality magazine.
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Thanks guys........have been able to correspond with Paul Servanti from East Bay Rods who was able to send a copy of Looking Back Vol 2 as well as the 30th and 50th Anniversary titles that East Bay Rods published........fantastic and informative reads well worth obtaining..........Andyd
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

I should have updated this thread as I've just finished going thru all copies of Jammin Gears a really great "little pages" style hot rodding book that these guys have put out, its published quarterly and so far 70 issues have been published.......a really great read that a credit to these Kiwis..............andyd
Kiwipaul
Old Hand

Post by Kiwipaul »

Where is East Bay Rodders?
I have a 1942 Jail Bar Pick Up Being done (Two more years ) and a 1930-34 Continental ( In Storage)
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Kiwipaul wrote:Where is East Bay Rodders?
"Auckland - The Club is based on the North Shore"

https://hotrod.org.nz/club?id=3 Link gives you everything you need to know :wink:

https://m.facebook.com/East-Coast-Rodde ... 176607200/
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Jammin Gears is up to issue 72 which arrived a couple of weeks ago..........still a great read & these guys are happy to send to West Island.......I must admit that I had to check with the enzed representatives in Sydney's Bondi first........lol.......seriously tho' if you like hot rod history, great CAR articles no bimbos and great car pics then Jammin Gears is a must have.......andyd.