ANZAC Day

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
Chrisso
Old Hand

ANZAC Day

Post by Chrisso »

To all who have served and those who enjoy our great country I hope your commemorations are filled with good memories a fair few laughs and not too many drinks.

Lest We Forget.
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Re: ANZAC Day

Post by Mopar Mick »

Same to you Chrisso. :wink:

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
36 dodge

Post by 36 dodge »

could not agree more chrisso , hope you all have a great day. I have not missed a dawn service and don't intend to. my way of thanking all that have served and ,or are serving for making this the lucky country--- THANK YOU , lest we forget
FX Panelvan

Post by FX Panelvan »

Yes I agree lest we forget.

I am lucky enough this year to be at Villers Brettoneux in France for the centennial celebrations. We have seen a lot of Aussies here already. A big new commemoration centre just opened here last week. Named after Sir John Monash.
Great to see the way the French appreciate our mens sacrifice all those years ago.
Hope to have a few decent photos to post.
regards

Brian
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Lucky man Brian, I hope to see those pictures. :wink: :wink:
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

FX Panelvan wrote:Yes I agree lest we forget.

I am lucky enough this year to be at Villers Brettoneux in France for the centennial celebrations. We have seen a lot of Aussies here already. A big new commemoration centre just opened here last week. Named after Sir John Monash.
Great to see the way the French appreciate our mens sacrifice all those years ago.
Hope to have a few decent photos to post.
I saw that center on TV ,looks great ,very life like ,Lest we forget
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Looks like the occasion here has been marred by one of the usual ratbags that crawl out from under rocks each year . This time "comedian" Catherine Deveney has lashed out at ANZAC day . She has copped a lot of flack from ex service personnel . Total disrespect . I think of my own dad who was suffering from diagnosed PTSD . He kept this to himself ,we never had one clue. Only idea I got later in his life was that although serving in two places ,New Guinea and Bougainville , he never mentioned Bougainville or would talk about it . The other was when he was around 89 years old ,following surgery I visited him in hospital ,fellow patient told me that dad "had a bad night" . I grilled him and he blurted out about screaming and yelling Japanese soldiers falling on him from all over the place , this was a recollection of a Banzai charge ,he then also started talking about his experience of stepping on a land mine ,where the primer just went off . Dad was an infantry Sergeant , two days before that event he saw one of his forward scouts blown into the air in front of him as the result of a mine . Everything came back .Only in recent times have I appreciated what those guys endured by reading the historical accounts of what was a brutal campaign . 18 months in New Guinea where his brigade [15th ] had trekked over more of the place than any other unit . The brigade consisted of 24th battalion [dad] and 58/59battalion 57/60 battalion . Yet 5 months on Bougainville cost the 24th the same number of KIA and 4 times the wounded compared to 18months NG . I did find one amusing bit . When his battalion encountered their first yanks in New Guinea ,the Yanks told them to their surprise that they were known as the 'the butchers of Boana" and the "Red and White Diamond" [ because of their colour patch] killers" . Apparently the Yanks got this from "Tokyo Rose" in one of her propaganda broadcasts , obviously referring to what was not a fair fight . All I could find is that around Boana the battalion had killed some 265 Japanese for only 2 of their own wounded :roll: . Taking some 30 days to advance 6.5 miles being shelled day and night along the Buin road in Bougainville also would affect you . Some young reinforcements barely out of their teens new to combat on Bougainville were reported to have had to be awakened at night due to some screaming ,having nightmares within their first weeks . When our veterans are denigrated by so called progressives today ,my blood boils.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
47chevyvan

Post by 47chevyvan »

i spent 6 years in the army reserves got close to going to the first gulf war . even though we didn't go you still have a lot to think about what it meant to be Australian the freedoms that we a meant to get from going to war a protecting what we have . my personal opinion is that there should be national service . it might give some people a bit of self es-teen and pride in Australia and not want to give everything we have in the lucky country away . my grand father was in the 13 light horse { canon fodder } he died when mum was 7 years old and mum's little brother was 7 months old they were the youngest of 9 . 3 of my uncles and aunt's was in the second world war . we all had a great respect for Australia and the people
Twin Spinner

Post by Twin Spinner »

I'm 72 and have been on the two way shooting range and no way would I want any of todays candy ass hipsters, yuppys, limpys and dopers in uniform around me if the shit hits the fan.
If it has tits or wheels, you can expect trouble.
steve the ford guy

Post by steve the ford guy »

The British army is moving that way
deuce32

Post by deuce32 »

Anzac Day should be a day of national pride and rememberance.
Now all the more significant with my own son choosing to serve.
Lest we forget.

FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

deuce32 wrote:Anzac Day should be a day of national pride and rememberance.
Now all the more significant with my own son choosing to serve.
Lest we forget.

We are all still in safe hands with the men and women today, like your son who follow in the tradition . You are no doubt proud of him .
Time marches on ..........45 years ago last month I was discharged ...seems like yesterday :roll: .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

I missed the last Draft in 1970.

I also missed both my Grandfathers thanks to the Western Front.

My Mother's Mum lived all the way to 1983 without a man in her life and 6 kids to raise.

She lost 2 husbands on the Western Front.

The Soldier makes the ultimate sacrifice and the families have to live with it for the rest of their days.

More than happy neither I nor my boys have had to go to war.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Twin Spinner

Post by Twin Spinner »

steve the ford guy wrote:

The British army is moving that way
Oh' For the days of Rum, Sodomy and the Lash. Winston Churchill :lol: :lol:
If it has tits or wheels, you can expect trouble.
wandiharry

Post by wandiharry »

fuckwit agitators and those desperate for fame know they can raise their profile via a simple derogatory post from the comfort of their fucking lounge chair.
They have no idea what the day is about