Home Plasma Cutters

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
perry

Re: Home Plasma Cutters

Post by perry »

ive had my Rossi plasma cutter for a few years now that i got of ebay ($329 at the time), works great for what i have done with it
Gman

Post by Gman »

I bought one of the Aldi units, and fired it up this afternoon for a little play. I had never used a plasma cutter before, so didn't really know what I was doing, but I got some pretty nice results without too much trouble. Only tried cutting some 1 and 1.6mm mild steel, and some aluminium checker plate.

So far, I am pretty impressed with it, might be worth checking your local Aldi to see if they have any left.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Yes ,a pile of them at Ringwood $299 . The other unit I have been looking at is $239 and they are sold on line or collect from a warehouse in Cranbourne
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

What about this Frank I have one of their welders and it has served me extremely well. :D :D

http://stores.ebay.com.au/edisons?_nkw= ... ubmit.y=16
KustomKulture62

Post by KustomKulture62 »

I've been researching the plasma cutters and I see theirs 35 amp 10 amp plug and 45 amp 15 amp plug units.
Wondering is the only difference the thickness of steel they can cut and the price.
Didn't know some also have the TIG and ARC welding capability so interested in the TIG ones, never used a TIG but would love to learn.
Would the 35 amp 12mm units be good enough for most body, chassis, mounts and bracket cutting or would just buying a 45 amp 16mm unit be best for my first and hopefully only unit.
steve the ford guy

Post by steve the ford guy »

bloody fire hazard if you ask me, I have formed a friendship with a local boilermaker, he's a very nice young guy (in his 40's) , I just take any small jobs to him and explain exactly what I want done, and most small stuff I bring him he does for free, why would you bother having one
GigglingMonkey

Post by GigglingMonkey »

steve the ford guy wrote:bloody fire hazard if you ask me, I have formed a friendship with a local boilermaker, he's a very nice young guy (in his 40's) , I just take any small jobs to him and explain exactly what I want done, and most small stuff I bring him he does for free, why would you bother having one
I NEEEDZ MORE TOOLZ

mick in glen innes
WORK the curse of the Rodding classes
1956 Mainline
KustomKulture62

Post by KustomKulture62 »

Why would you bother having one, RU OK.
How is a Plasma Cutter any different to a welder or any other tool in the shed.
I'd like to make my own brackets and it will be perfect for the Austins rebuild and with the costs being very reasonable why not have one.
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

Chrisso wrote:What about this Frank I have one of their welders and it has served me extremely well. :D :D

http://stores.ebay.com.au/edisons?_nkw= ... ubmit.y=16
I have the US version of that plasma cutter that has served me well for 6 years now.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

My Aldi purchased item can cut up to 10mm material. Used it to cut my boxing plates for the 49 F1 Chassis. Worked a treat. Only issue was the occasional trip out of the household circuit breaker. I kept my operation time under control.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

What are the consumable costs like?
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
steve the ford guy

Post by steve the ford guy »

KustomKulture62 wrote:Why would you bother having one, RU OK.
How is a Plasma Cutter any different to a welder or any other tool in the shed.
I'd like to make my own brackets and it will be perfect for the Austins rebuild and with the costs being very reasonable why not have one.
because the money for a new machine goes to china where Aldi sources their stuff from, plasma cutters although designed for cutting non ferrous metals leave an edge that needs linishing off for welding the same as oxy cutting, they create a lot of mess and can shoot sparks into places that catch fire, once youve cut all your brackets your left with a machine that takes up space and wont get used as much as a welder which this topic isnt about, and with all the small businesses suffering and closing here in Australia Im happier giving my money to the hard working people in this country thanks that have metal cutting guilotines that make a neater cleaner cut
Shabby T
Old Hand

Post by Shabby T »

I thought about getting one for myself when I lost access to the workshop I worked out of in a previous life.

I have recently required some flame cut items for the current project, only to find we have a Precision Metal Cutting business here in good old Dubbo.

Seems very reasonably priced, can Laser cut, Water jet, Plasma or oxy cut to any accurately drawn pattern, up to 50mm thick.

I will report back with the quality when I collect my parts next week.
Cheers,
Terry

That's going straight to the pool room!
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/tan60/images.jpg[/img]
ShedBoy

Post by ShedBoy »

I have a 40amp weldsmart machine. It has Toshiba circuit boards inside it, mine has pilot arc which is awesome, goes through paint, rust, skin (found out the hard way). Pilot arc will fire when nowhere near the steel, doesn’t need to earth but it still has an earth lead. Consumable cost are not very high if you treat it the right way, I think $25 for 10 nozzles and tips. The sparks do go along way always have a fire extinguisher or hose ready to go and I wear full leather jacket, gloves, hood if doing more than a small job. I use a welding helmet that has a low setting of about 5 to help see where I am going. If going a straight line I clamp on an edge to run it along. They are the best thing for removing rivets from an old chassis.

Brock
Don't Follow Me I'm Lost Too
Thomobro

Post by Thomobro »

@ $400 for a cheep plasma cutter
That's about 340 cutting discs, less cleanup and more space in the garage
:lol: