Holden front end

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
monte
Old Hand

Holden front end

Post by monte »

I have been offered a HK front end ,it is the one with the greaseable bushes in the control arms ,has anybody used one of these and is the ride more harsh than the rubber ones ,also can they be converted to rubber ones ,thanks :D :D :D :D
Oldcol
Old Hand

Re: Holden front end

Post by Oldcol »

They are the pick of the series,grab it with both hands....!,the ride difference is not noticeable but the stability is better than the rubber bushed front ends,plus they can handle wheels with a bit of outside offset without getting jumpy....and you can pull them apart without having to beat the arms to death,simply unscrew the pivots and it's done. The other consideration is the lack of quality on the rubber bushes,repro stuff is junk,especially the plastic nolathane things. When these front ends (HT)came out,we were given a service bulletin detailing the way the bushes were designed to move in motion and that they were supposed to be set up with negative Caster angles to compensate for this. All well and good when you could get the right bushes with the correct compound, but even then they didn't last all that long in service and we were replacing them under warranty within the first year, especially the V8 Cars....So HK is a much better front end to have...no question.
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

Thanks Col ,I will grab it ,seems a little trip to Bundy is on the cards :D :D :D :D :D Will call in to see our TAC man while I am there and have a cuppa
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

I am going to Bundy in the morning to pick up the front end ,it is a drum brake one so will have to pick up some disc brake stubs ,now to find a BA IRS ,been offered one in Maryborough out of a XR6 Turbo and I have read they are a bit stronger than the normal one $400 seems reasonable for it ,so will have to suck up to the minister of finance . :D :D :D :D :D
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Monte ,for disc stubs if you are unaware. HQ onwards fit . And for bolt pattern issues . HQ on rotors have a part number DBA 14 . There is a blank version "DBA 14U" . Undrilled for your convenience to go and configure .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

I have the set up on my car now Frank the HK disc brake stubs are the same as the later ones and I used Blank rotors drilled to suit FORD wheels ,All good :D :D :D :D :D and thanks for the numbers
:D :D :D
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

monte wrote:I have the set up on my car now Frank the HK disc brake stubs are the same as the later ones and I used Blank rotors drilled to suit FORD wheels ,All good :D :D :D :D :D and thanks for the numbers
:D :D :D
Sorry mate. Had a "seniors moment" when looked at your post :oops: . I now understand you wanting to compare :D Col is right about them being better than the latter . I had one also. One draw back is that they screw into a not too deep thread area in the control arm . I had one become disengaged from a lower control arm whilst driving [luckily near home] . Pulled up in the drive and one side of the vehicle dropped ,as a result a replacement bush was a dicey fit into the damaged thread . Played safe and replaced the control arm . This was most likely an isolated event possibly caused by someone in the past cross threading an install .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

All good Frank ,I will be doing a full reco on the front end as per TAC guidelines ,they want them to be as new and they are a pretty easy thing to work on :D :D :D :D
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

What are you gunna do with the turbo IRS Monte ?
scott
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

46 deluxe wrote:What are you gunna do with the turbo IRS Monte ?
Thinking about putting it in the next build mate ,they seem easy to mount and look ok but the width might be a problem ,They can take the HP as these things go like the clappers :D :D :D :D
Angry

Post by Angry »

Wondering what the ratio is in these Falcon IRS rear ends.....

Im thinking about one for my F100 if the Explorer diff doesnt behave mounted to the original F100 leaf springs...

Tossing up fitting long lower arms like lower 4 Bar links to add a bit extra control....the F100 diffs are mounted under the leaves,.....theres not enough room to mount them above the springs because the 3.5" diff tubes take up most of the suspension travel

Al.

64 Ford F100 SWB Patina Pickup
69 Camaro Z28 Clone....
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

Angry wrote:Wondering what the ratio is in these Falcon IRS rear ends.....

Im thinking about one for my F100 if the Explorer diff doesnt behave mounted to the original F100 leaf springs...

Tossing up fitting long lower arms like lower 4 Bar links to add a bit extra control....the F100 diffs are mounted under the leaves,.....theres not enough room to mount them above the springs because the 3.5" diff tubes take up most of the suspension travel

Look at Caltracs http://www.jegs.com/i/Danny-Bee/294/230 ... vgEALw_wcB

They are fairly easy to fabricate, and are great for reducing axle tramp They are adjustable so under normal circumstances they just float but under acceleration they come into effect.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
YellowUte

Post by YellowUte »

Btt