49 Hudson SRT8

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

Re: 49 Hudson SRT8

Post by choco »

jeffa wrote: Hi Choco:
Does the engine crank when you hit the starter? If it IS the shifter module, I would have thought it wouldn't even try to crank?
Yes, but it's a bit more complex than that. The Start/Neutral lockout is a switch in series with the transmission oil temperature sensor. The P/N signal is sent to the Trans Control Module via the CAN BUS. The PCM also reads the PN signal on the CAN BUS and sends a Ground signal to the START relay. I can't get a Start signal (it stays at 12v) so I bypassed the control signal so that it starts and cranks. However, without a PN signal, the PCM won't send any injector pulses. It fires a couple of cylinders before the PCM shuts it down, but that's it.

When I connect the TCM to the laptop, I can see the PNR5 signals just fine, so the TCM is reading the shift position on the CAN BUS, but it's not getting to the PCM. So that's where I'm at. I've been in touch with the guy who sold me the TCM and tone ring (to fudge the ABS signal) and he's been very helpful. It seems I need to get a hold of a proper Chrysler Scan tool, as mine won't read some of the "hidden" codes. I also have a guy with HP Tuners coming back to check some other stuff out but what I really need is a known, good PCM with the SKIM deleted so I can tell for sure if it's the PCM.
Choco Munday, Technical Author, Hot Rod Handbooks
Ph:0412 883 235
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

This scanner does more than most and what I have just bought.
https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/

I found this one too in my searches.
https://interequip.com.au/product/autel ... scan-tool/

Another well used one that needs more knowledge than I have to use is this.
Can really screw your PCM though if you just 'play' with the settings like some have done!
https://www.autoenginuity.com/products/ ... expansion/
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

I have the second one , the maxidas 708 , it's a great scanner .
These days if you want to look after your own modern car you absolutely need a scanner .
But not sure how deep you can actually get into some of the pcm's without a laptop and Really good software .
scott
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

choco wrote:
jeffa wrote: Hi Choco:
Does the engine crank when you hit the starter? If it IS the shifter module, I would have thought it wouldn't even try to crank?
Yes, but it's a bit more complex than that. The Start/Neutral lockout is a switch in series with the transmission oil temperature sensor. The P/N signal is sent to the Trans Control Module via the CAN BUS. The PCM also reads the PN signal on the CAN BUS and sends a Ground signal to the START relay. I can't get a Start signal (it stays at 12v) so I bypassed the control signal so that it starts and cranks. However, without a PN signal, the PCM won't send any injector pulses. It fires a couple of cylinders before the PCM shuts it down, but that's it.

When I connect the TCM to the laptop, I can see the PNR5 signals just fine, so the TCM is reading the shift position on the CAN BUS, but it's not getting to the PCM. So that's where I'm at. I've been in touch with the guy who sold me the TCM and tone ring (to fudge the ABS signal) and he's been very helpful. It seems I need to get a hold of a proper Chrysler Scan tool, as mine won't read some of the "hidden" codes. I also have a guy with HP Tuners coming back to check some other stuff out but what I really need is a known, good PCM with the SKIM deleted so I can tell for sure if it's the PCM.
Thanks for taking the time to explain it. As you say, without the right scanner (or equivalent) you really up the proverbial.
Following now with interest!
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
robtus

Post by robtus »

I have the diablosport predator, version 1. This is a link to the new one. Not cheap. https://www.diablosport.com/predator-2- ... rogrammer/
Mine came from HotwireAuto and is programmed to match the PCM they re-coded for me. It is from a 2005 Dodge Ram and was for a 5.7 with 5-45 RFE but they upgraded it to suit the 6.1. I have yet to use it, (soon I hope). Apparently if I hook it up to another car all of the program will be wiped out of it. It allows me to change gear shift points, diff ratio, tyre size, octane ratings and a whole lot of other stuff, and has a choice of 3 programs, economy, power and tow, and can be altered in a PC.
I never make the same mistake twice, I do it 5 or 6 times just to be sure !!!

Making progress, https://www.muston.com/public_html/34%2 ... _Limo.html
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

Post by choco »

Gojeep wrote:This scanner does more than most and what I have just bought.
https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/

I found this one too in my searches.
https://interequip.com.au/product/autel ... scan-tool/

Another well used one that needs more knowledge than I have to use is this.
Can really screw your PCM though if you just 'play' with the settings like some have done!
https://www.autoenginuity.com/products/ ... expansion/
Wow, thanks for that, I missed them completely when looking for a scanner. I need something that supports PID (Parameter ID) but they cost a couple of thousand dollars. I also got to speak with Russell from Sound German Auto (who supplied the NAG1 controller) and discovered a few things that I need to follow up. I'll get back with some results soon.
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

Well, after all this, I have finally got the engine running. In the end, I had to buy myself HP Tuners and do the job myself.
About a year ago, I sent the PCM to the USA to have the security removed. It was never done properly, if at all, which had me chasing my arse. I also discovered that the START signal that energises the Start relay was a product of two other modules. HP Tuners is a steep learning curve, but I disabled the SKIM, disabled the Start signal an it fired up straight away.
It runs great, idles properly, the drive by wire throttle works just fine and there are no leaks anywhere. Oil pressure good, and it goes backwards and forwards. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!
More soon.
HOT ROD FRED
Old Hand

Post by HOT ROD FRED »

Good stuff Choco.Progress! 8)
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

Good news, Choco !!

Cheers, Mudgy
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

The rest of the exhaust is booked in, should be done by Xmas. Heading to the upholsterers before my operation in 2 weeks. Paint should be done on the body by the end of next week.
mercury mitch

Post by mercury mitch »

Going great guns Choco,well done
Life is a learning curve, endevour to learn something new every day jees I hope I never get alz alz alz alz
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

That is awesome news. :)
Good for me to know too as don't know if mine will start yet even though it turns over on the starter. It might even run for a few seconds and then shut itself down, I have read in the manual, if all is not well with the security system.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

Great news Choco, exciting times ahead.
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
robtus

Post by robtus »

Gojeep wrote:That is awesome news. :)
Good for me to know too as don't know if mine will start yet even though it turns over on the starter. It might even run for a few seconds and then shut itself down, I have read in the manual, if all is not well with the security system.
Hi Marcus, I watched this video the other day on an easy method to prime the oil galleries before you fire it up. He uses a garden sprayer, worth a look as it seem these engines need oil to the valve train to avoid damage. He primes it two ways to make it easier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4ci-7shvnE

Sorry to hack your post here Chocko, good to see you are up and running and getting some paint on.
I never make the same mistake twice, I do it 5 or 6 times just to be sure !!!

Making progress, https://www.muston.com/public_html/34%2 ... _Limo.html
choco
Old Hand

Post by choco »

Gojeep wrote:That is awesome news. :)
It depends on the year/model of the engine and factory PCM. I have documented my entire journey with this engine, so I now have a fair bit of knowledge. So what engine/trans are you using and what PCM? If you haven't had SKIM removed and there is no SKIM module, the engine will start and run for a few seconds and shut off. You can do this 3 times, then it won't crank at all. But we can probably fix that, and I can do it remotely via Teamviewer, all it will cost is 2 HP Tuners credits (@$US50 per credit).