1964 Ford Ranchero - Daily Beater Build

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Chrisso
Old Hand

Re: 1964 Ford Ranchero - Daily Beater Build

Post by Chrisso »

Lovin your build Turns really going to be a great daily mate, you'll never be out of it. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Newbee

Post by Newbee »

Hi Turns, moving along nicely, I noticed your brake setup, is that an XB master cylinder you are using ? But a different booster ? Where did you get that MC ?

Regards Newbee
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

Chrisso wrote:Lovin your build Turns really going to be a great daily mate, you'll never be out of it. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Thanks Chrisso
Newbee wrote:Hi Turns, moving along nicely, I noticed your brake setup, is that an XB master cylinder you are using ? But a different booster ? Where did you get that MC ?

Regards Newbee
Cheers Newbee. Yes the master cylinder is an XB - an old favourite of many. I do hear rumours that certifiers and inspectors prefer a reservoir that is 'see though' so the fluid level can be seen at a glance. We will see if my ignorance to this notion pays off.

A big problem that I have had building this car is sourcing decent parts and I seem to have lost any skill I had in that area. I still get on the phone and even go to suppliers but find that online works just as well depending on the part of course. Poor service and supplier knowledge of what they sell seems on the decline from my past. Furthermore, sourcing parts that are of decent quality is much harder - most parts are now just garbage. e.g. In the 80/90s I used Holley Blue fuel pumps for many setups and thought I would use the same setup this time. When I opened the box the Holley stuff isn't the same as the older stuff (not that much older BTW). The regulator looks and feels to be made from aluminium cans and is just shitty quality compared to the old ones I used to use :shock: The casting looks dodgy and the fittings cheap. We'll see how it actually runs.......

This is the second Master Cylinder that I have purchased and approx the 5th or 6th that I have looked at. I sourced this one from Hoppers Stoppers in Victoria and the brand on the box is Bosch. Not sold on the box alone, I look at the part closely to see if it was manufactured properly with quality as a concern. This one looks beautifully made compared to the many shitty ones that I have looked at. The sticker that says 'Made In ......' isn't an indicator of quality nor is price in my opinion.

Sorry for a long reply to a simple question however I think it matters. We are talking about a brakes :mrgreen:

Cheers Turns

I stopped into a Repco on my way home to get a rotor button for the Windsor - the young parts guy didn't even know what type of part I was talking about :shock:
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
Theyeti
Old Hand

Post by Theyeti »

Hey turns, looking good

I rang your office last week but they said the boss don't work Friday, if I remember I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Otherwise return your freaken calls :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pariahs C.C.
What Could Possibly Go Wrong
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

I stopped into a Repco on my way home to get a rotor button for the Windsor - the young parts guy didn't even know what type of part I was talking about :shock:

Hey turns try asking for one for a Cleveland 302, this is the look you get..... :? :? :? :? :? :? any who a young girl and yes I said girl from Supercheap got me one and it only took 3 days and it was a genuine Bosch item. :o :o :o :o :wink: :wink:
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

Theyeti wrote:Hey turns, looking good

I rang your office last week but they said the boss don't work Friday, if I remember I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Otherwise return your freaken calls :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Yeti - good to catch up 8) Yes, I accept the grudge match! My Ranchero against The Pariah's Morrie Gasser at the Nostalgia Drags in March - stugots

Can you tell me who in my team called me 'Boss' please? Too mafioso for me :mrgreen:
Chrisso wrote:I stopped into a Repco on my way home to get a rotor button for the Windsor - the young parts guy didn't even know what type of part I was talking about :shock:

Hey turns try asking for one for a Cleveland 302, this is the look you get..... :? :? :? :? :? :? any who a young girl and yes I said girl from Supercheap got me one and it only took 3 days and it was a genuine Bosch item. :o :o :o :o :wink: :wink:
What is this Cleveland thing you speak of Chrisso? I am glad to hear I am not the only one who struggles with this stuff.

I am a martian, I am a martian, I am a martian.................

Cheers Turns
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

I have been a busy bee on this build but not much to show. The carpet and seatbelts are in, been painting a lot and chasing all the small endless details.

I went through the car with my daughter recently to acquaint her with what she needs to do get the trim complete on she commented "you are so close now, you may as well just finish it and start driving it!"..........................such a simple concept really :oops:

Last pics for 2018

Another year ticks over - Happy New Year Ozrodders 8)

Cheers Turns
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Looking good.

I always had a soft spot for the Ranchero. I love the exaggerated rear overhang compared to the Falcon.

Keep at it.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Lovely job Boss!
Will be a cool "beater" when done :wink:

Tassie Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
HOT ROD FRED
Old Hand

Post by HOT ROD FRED »

Daughter's right; getting close now! Think this has gone past the "beater" stage :D
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

Cheers guys 8)

It is a turning out a bit better than originally expected but I will still use it as a beater - I did paint it with a brush :oops:
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

Lookin good 8) 8) 8)
Founding Oz E Rodder Member
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

Nice work Turns, thanks for the update its going to be a great daily beater 8)
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Sweet job Turns, you'll be getting some good Smiles per gallon before you know it. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol:
jailbar joe
Old Hand

Post by jailbar joe »

turns wrote:It is a turning out a bit better than originally expected but I will still use it as a beater
sometimes we tend to forget that at the end of the day they are just a car...to be used :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

doing a great job turns....nothing less than i expected from you :lol: :lol:
cheers joe

if you do nothing then nothing happens