Prefect - 1st build

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
SimonG

Prefect - 1st build

Post by SimonG »

Well i have been looking on here for about 18 months to get ideas and information on starting my first build, a Ford Prefect. I have been working away with my brother in law, lucky for me he is a boiler maker, for a few months now and saw someones post that more people need to show what they are doing to help inspire others so i hope my build is of interest?

Initially i thought i couldn't build it as a street rod as it is a 49 model but due to the chassis and body being the same as the earlier models i got some good advice and took the plunge. I was able to get the car as trade for and old chev V8 I was given when an uncle was cleaning out a rental property so i thought it was a good deal.
2015-12-16 15.04.46.jpg
After doing a lot of research i found that the best option is to make a new inner frame, similar to a T- Bucket and then to use the old chassis as a mounting frame for the body. I also chose to use a Torana front end and to mount this as original, so the new chassis has to be stepped up. Then the fun began, bracing the body and removing it from the original chassis, who knew there was so many spot welds and rivets holding these together?
20160501_142726.jpg
20160501_142941.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SimonG

Re: Prefect - 1st build

Post by SimonG »

I am still getting used to posting so working on loading photos properly
20160522_100506.jpg
2016-12-20 07.13.29.jpg
20160522_100533.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Nice one Simon great to see another British rocket on the forum. 8) 8) Remember with you build we LOVE pictures and lots of 'em :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
V8Anglia

Post by V8Anglia »

Like the look of this one. Good to see something different getting done. Keep the updates coming.
SimonG

Post by SimonG »

I was lucky to find a complete torana front end in reasonable condition

Start of Chassis build
ImageRear Mock up
ImageFront mock up
Image how good is it to have a brother in law that knows how to weld

After welding together and trying to work out fish plates I ran into an old boss of mine who now works at a truck body fab shop and he said he could laser cut them, so I made some ply templates and he made the magic.
Time to weld them in

Testing the fitment of the front end

I think i have worked out the photos now so i will try and keep the pics coming as i know when i was planning there wasn't a lot of info around, so i hope i am headed in the right direction and some of this can help others.
SimonG

Post by SimonG »

It was your first build pics that got me inspired V8Anglia and i did talk to Pete about using his chassis plans but my brother in law wasn't happy about welding so much and trying to keep it all straight with what we have to work with, so hence this direction.
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

Welcome and thanks for sharing Simon.

Looks like you've taken the dive into the deep end and making good progress.
What else have you got planned for this little ride?
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
SimonG

Post by SimonG »

Thanks slyfox,

My initial idea was to use a Nissan SR20 but looking into it further the costs are too high when compared to picking up a donor V8, so at this stage it will be an injected 302 from a late model Fairlane/Falcon. I was given an AU Falcon diff which i have had narrowed and for the body i am considering a 2 door conversion. For now it is just one task at a time to not overwhelm myself with how much needs doing and trying to find ways of making it affordable with kids and a mortgage.
Artboy

Post by Artboy »

Ah, I was going to ask if you were going to make a 2 door. I reckon that is the way to go - just makes it look a lot less clunky and sleeker. I am currently building a 36 chev master and will be making it a 2 door from a 4 door - also looking to section it a few inches to make it look longer and sleeker. Also full fendered which is a look I really like. You have got a lot further than me - I am still replacing rusted metal with new metal around wheel arches etc. looking forward to watching your build.
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Great to see some more pics and a new project.
Look forward to more progress.
Thanks.

Tassie Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders

Post by 666 »

I am interested to see how the new chassis fits inside the original.
[color=#400040][i][b][list][size=85]-1923 T-bucket
SimonG

Post by SimonG »

Artboy wrote:Ah, I was going to ask if you were going to make a 2 door. I reckon that is the way to go - just makes it look a lot less clunky and sleeker. I am currently building a 36 chev master and will be making it a 2 door from a 4 door - also looking to section it a few inches to make it look longer and sleeker. Also full fendered which is a look I really like. You have got a lot further than me - I am still replacing rusted metal with new metal around wheel arches etc. looking forward to watching your build.
I am hoping to find a couple of anglia doors to save me cutting up the originals as i think they would make great garage art with the original sign writing. My body is still in pretty sad shape and haven't touched the rust in it yet as i didn't want to be doing things twice if it had to be cut away to fit the chassis.
SimonG

Post by SimonG »

I hope this gives you some answers 666

First we started with this

and after a lot of measuring, thinking and measuring again we removed all of this.....

and ended up with.....

If you look in the wheelbarrow pic you will see the chassis on the ground and the top of the rail has been left complete but the bottom of the rail has been cut on an angle to slip over the new chassis.

I then fitted the rails back inside the body to ensure it all fitted and all it needed was a small cut on the bottom of the front wing, and folding it out to clear the new chassis

You can see in this pic that on this model the chassis actually formed the sills for the car and the floor was just plywood that sat in the recess on top of the chassis rail

You can see in these photos that the chassis rails are almost a perfect fit for the guards and will only require a little trimming and extra bracing to fit up the front sheet metal

Well that is close to where we are up to for now and the next job is working out some brackets to mount the old chassis to the new so that the body can be bolted down in the end, but also easily removed.
47chevyvan

Post by 47chevyvan »

can you cut the front of your tube just in front of the torana front end and take it down to where the original chassic linedup to the bumper ? that will give you clearance for radiator . good build . i like the little pommy cars

Post by 666 »

Thanks for such a detailed explanation, that explains a lot. I was thinking a a similar idea for my bucket but in reverse. A original chassis for legal reasons to go with the rhs chassis. Unfortunately I couldn't find a chassis close enough. I wondered what you was doing with the front with the step up in the rhs, not sure if cutting the front of the original off would pass in NSW. I like the idea of a bolt in front, not a big fan of weld in.
[color=#400040][i][b][list][size=85]-1923 T-bucket