HK Holden to ford stud pattern

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
chop_shop

HK Holden to ford stud pattern

Post by chop_shop »

G'day, may seem strange but i want to switch my HK panelvan from Holden (HK) stud pattern to Ford (mainly because i can't find the wheels i want and i have some differing sets in the ford pattern with tyres just sitting around)

the HK has the solid type discs up front (6 cyl), and the STD banjo diff.

does anyone know if i can fit up the maybe the XR/XT V8 discs hubs to solve the front end,
and a suitable diff maybe xr/xy ?
“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein
Big G
Old Hand

Re: HK Holden to ford stud pattern

Post by Big G »

A few years ago, I fitted XE falcon discs to HQ holden stub axles simply by finding the right bearings to fit.
Founding Oz E Rodder Member
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
chop_shop

Post by chop_shop »

Big G, what calipers did you run ?
“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Easiest solution is to get HQ onwards calipers and DBA 014U HQ undrilled vented rotors and have these studded to Ford pattern . All bolts up. Pretty sure the calipers bolt up to the HK stubs, someone can correct me if not . And if they do not, then the later stubs fit the ball joints anyway .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
stevenm

Post by stevenm »

Yeah what Frank said above /\

I know the HQ discs go straight onto the HK, T, G stubs.. I can't recall if the HQ calipers go on though.
I had HQ dics's on the HT f/e i put in the studebaker for a few weeks before I got my dropped stub axles. I just cant recall if i tried fitting the HQ calipers to the HT stubs before I got the dropped spindle back then or not. Too many years and beers ago to remeber :( :?

On our old chevy I just put the whole HQ stub, brakes and calipers on the HT f/e.
Cheers,
Steve

sometimes you blow your nose with a piece of toilet paper......... bet that piece of paper considers itself lucky

www.skmdesign.com.au
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

chop_shop wrote:Big G, what calipers did you run ?
If I remember correctly the alloy commodore ones.
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Big G wrote:
chop_shop wrote:Big G, what calipers did you run ?
If I remember correctly the alloy commodore ones.
Commodore caliper mounting bolts should have a different spacing to HQ . They went metric for all measurements including the bolts themselves . Be surprised if they would bolt up .

The calipers themselves are compatible with the Ford rotors with regard to diameter and thickness being similar to the Commodore rotor dimensions . This combo works with custom caliper brackets for drum to disc conversions on early Mustangs .

For comparing if someone has Holden stubs and can measure the caliper bolt spacing . The Commodore caliper with a couple of bolts sitting in the mounting holes has some 87.5mm from across the outside of the bolt threads..
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

The Hk stubs are the same as HQ and everything will fit .
The easiest way is to buy blank HQ rotors ,get them drilled to suit ford wheels and fit the later Aloy calipers on ,even up to WB will fit ok .You will find the ford wheels fit neatly over the rotors,like they were made for them ,however you will have to go to 15 or 16 in wheels or the wheel will hit the calipers
35coupe

Post by 35coupe »

FRANK BASILE wrote: For comparing if someone has Holden stubs and can measure the caliper bolt spacing . The Commodore caliper with a couple of bolts sitting in the mounting holes has some 87.5mm from across the outside of the bolt threads..

The H-series stubs have a caliper bolt pitch of about 3-1/2" centre to centre.
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

the commodore calipers will not fit without an adapter
Last edited by monte on Tue May 10, 2016 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
chop_shop

Post by chop_shop »

Thanks Monte

What about the rear is there a ford 5 stud diff about the right width prefer to not have to shorten one and dont really need a nine inch
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Hi-lux or hi-ace diffs are very strong and Fraud pattern. Only problem is decent ratio availability, Most are 4.1-4.3 but if you look around you can get 3.7. Or just buy a gear set for whatever ratio you want but price starts getting up there then
Regards Bob
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

monte wrote:The Hk stubs are the same as HQ and everything will fit .
The easiest way is to buy blank HQ rotors ,get them drilled to suit ford wheels and fit the later Aloy calipers on ,even up to WB will fit ok .You will find the ford wheels fit neatly over the rotors,like they were made for them ,however you will have to go to 15 or 16 in wheels or the wheel will hit the calipers
Should be no probs with 14" rims . I had Ford 12 slotters on a HK front end with re drilled HQ rotors and cast iron calipers . . HQ Holdens did use 14" rims .
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

Thanks Frank & others, it was quite a few years ago, I do remember using Girlock alluminium calipers if that helps.
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
Dave
Old Hand

Post by Dave »

As a few others have said go undrilled HQ discs and have them done in Ford pattern (pretty sure Hoppers Stoppers do them) and simply bolt the HQ calipers straight up. They are a direct bolt on. Don't mess with Commodore calipers, HQ are fine, just kit them. XR-XY Falcon are pretty much the same width and will just need the leaf spring saddles removed and Holden ones fitted. You should have bought the 8" XR/XT Falcon diff OldCol had for sale recently, would have been perfect!
Dave Petrusma