Changing language

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
User avatar
Carps
Old Hand
Posts: 14098
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:50 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Changing language

Post by Carps »

k7oaks wrote:Gees Carp, as I said "I'm not having a bitch, just a rambling observation".
I think I got that bit, but you gave me an opportunity to join in and that's not always good. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
k7oaks wrote: I did a lot of work on Toyota Stouts in PNG in the 1960's, & they were always referred to as "utes", even though they may have had the qualifications to be a little bitty truck.
If pedantics are to come into it, you are right, but to the casual observer, they were just a ute.(Albeit a heavier version of the "coupe" type ute).
Which is kinda my point, not unlike the what is a hot rod question. It's whatever you want it to be. Or it's what the rulebook says it is.
k7oaks wrote:Just the ramblings of an old fart . :roll: :wink:
And that's a whole other story.
Did you know that the company that is now Toyota Australia, when they imported the first Toyota cars, also assembled and distributed Ramblings here in Australia? :lol: :lol: :lol:
And Just for Dave, they also did Nuffield and Zetor tractors! :shock:
rx4ord wrote:So mister correct and the pedantic one, I suppose we should call those
big things that pull trailers as in semi or B double TRACTORS just like the yanks!!
Well if you think about it and what you say below confirms it, they do both perform one and the same task, which is pulling things.
And despite what you may think I'm doing right now, that is exactly how the dictionary defines them! Tractor: A motor vehicle used to draw farm implements or heavy loads. The word draw, has many meanings and top of the list is this one; To cause to come as by a pulling force Pull, Drag, Lead. Which is exactly what the machines that haul the trucks (see previous definition for items used to move heavy stuff) that make up when combined what is known as a Tractor Trailer Rig, or more commonly a Semi Trailer. The coloquial term used in the US to describe such a rig, 18 Wheeler, is also correct. However, in Australia that would only define one variant of the tractor trailer rigs in use here. There would also have to be 22 wheelers and 34 wheelers (How does the term B Double describe a tractor hauling two trailers?) and ….. Road Trains, which by the Dave definition might in reality be Semi, Semi, Semi Trailers and not trains at all, because everybody knows trains run on iron rails. :lol: :lol: :lol:
rx4ord wrote:So what the fuck are those things that pull ploughs and harrows ???
However, contrary to my comment above, the things that pull ploughs and harrows could also be horses.
Which is why tractors are more popular because the engines they use deliver more power than one or two horses and considering how much room the four legged critters take up, there would be no room in a paddockk if one used the 450 plus horses required to generate the power to pul said implement with the same energy as offered by a tractor.

Oh, while I think of it, as anybody who knows about aeroplanes will tell you, a tractor is also a type of propellor used to pull aircraft at high speed so it may fly. :D

Told ya the English language is fun. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
User avatar
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand
Posts: 13894
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 3:14 pm

Re: Changing language

Post by FRANK BASILE »

"Wagons " "Station Wagons" in Britain "Estates" ....
And language change ,I get really piffled every time I hear the word "absolutely" that some how has crept into the vocab of every interview I hear on air . This has now taken on the meaning of agreeing with a statement or opinion that someone else makes :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
User avatar
Carps
Old Hand
Posts: 14098
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:50 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Changing language

Post by Carps »

Absolutely not! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
mr imp
Senior Member
Posts: 1515
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:41 pm
Location: Kanwal, NSW Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Changing language

Post by mr imp »

FRANK BASILE wrote:"Wagons " "Station Wagons" in Britain "Estates" ....
And language change ,I get really piffled every time I hear the word "absolutely" that some how has crept into the vocab of every interview I hear on air . This has now taken on the meaning of agreeing with a statement or opinion that someone else makes :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
The word I hate that has crept into our language is "getgo", usually used in a sentence saying "from the getgo". :x :x :x :x
Graham


Aspire to inspire before you expire.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it
User avatar
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand
Posts: 13894
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 3:14 pm

Re: Changing language

Post by FRANK BASILE »

"Yeh No" is another weird utterance :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Mudgy
Old Hand
Posts: 3249
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:36 am
Location: Gosford, NSW

Re: Changing language

Post by Mudgy »

How Aussie are these blokes??????



Cheers Mudgy
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
User avatar
35coupe
Member
Posts: 837
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:45 pm
Location: Ringwood North

Re: Changing language

Post by 35coupe »

Mudgy wrote:How Aussie are these blokes?????? Cheers Mudgy


"The only gym I go to is Jim Beam" :lol:
jdaley
Senior Member
Posts: 1552
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:15 pm
Location: Bendigo, Victoria, Australia

Re: Changing language

Post by jdaley »

Horses
John Daley, Member # 43, 1946 Chev Ute, 1926 Trackster boat-tail, sidecar racer, Engineers Coupe.
monte
Old Hand
Posts: 5242
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: Maryborough Qld

Re: Changing language

Post by monte »

How is all this hot rod related i wonder :?: :?: :?: :) :) :)
enjenjo
Senior Member
Posts: 1037
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2002 10:45 am
Location: swanton ohio
Contact:

Re: Changing language

Post by enjenjo »

rx4ord wrote:So mister correc,t and the pedantic one, I suppose we should call those
big things that pull trailers as in semi or B double TRACTORS just like the yanks!!
So what the fuck are those things that pull ploughs and harrows ???

Dave the pedant chaser.

What else would you call it? Just like the ones that pull a plow, they are "tractors". The new ones to pull a plow have climate controlled cabs with built in Wifi and air suspension seats, just like the ones on the highway that pull doubles.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
User avatar
Nailhead Bucket
Senior Member
Posts: 1429
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 9:06 pm
Location: Canberra, ACT. Australia.

Re: Changing language

Post by Nailhead Bucket »

All the above notwithstanding, I wholly agree with you ken. Our language has become international, influenced by popular culture like TV, sports and music. Sometimes I feel like I'm living on another planet. (Ie anything non- factory is now a hot rod).
What really bothers me is that grammar and the ability to be articulate has disappeared. If someone else starts a sentence to me with " I'm like......." I'll be moved to violence. :wink:
The older I get, the more everyone else can bite my arse.
User avatar
Carps
Old Hand
Posts: 14098
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2002 10:50 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Changing language

Post by Carps »

Nailhead Bucket wrote:All the above notwithstanding, I wholly agree with you ken. Our language has become international, influenced by popular culture like TV, sports and music. Sometimes I feel like I'm living on another planet. (Ie anything non- factory is now a hot rod).
I'm like thinking this is a great opportunity to make another observation (or you may prefer to consider it a correction) based on the facts as recorded in history at the time of certain events. :D

Back in the day (another of those wonderful yet aggravating new age terms :wink: ) when the words Hot and Rod were first joined and used to descibe a motor vehicle, the newly created term was actually applied to any and every automobile that was modified from it's factory stock condition, regardless of body style or year of manufacture. The only reason it could not at that time be applied to vehicles built after 1948 is because those machines had not yet rolled from the car facttories. The pre 1948 restriction/rule as some of us like to apply so strictly wasn't not introduced until 1970 when it was introduced to limit potential overcrowding of the Rod and Custom Magazine Street Rod Nationals (now the NSRA Street Rod Nationals) and by virtue of that, it was only applied to Street Rods, not what many consider to be the more 'pure' or true to the definition hot rods. Yup I am pedantic but only because what I have written is a provable fact! Thus the use iof this term to describve ANY automobile modified from its original condition is indeed correct. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nailhead Bucket wrote:What really bothers me is that grammar and the ability to be articulate has disappeared.
I'm sure Bill Shakespeare and his cronies would be thinking the same thing of our generation and how we've totally screwed his English language. Fact is, just as everything else has done over time, from the extinction of the dinosaurs and taking over of the world by humans, so too has language evolved. And the best part of this is that despite the multitude of variations (we even have a word for this - dialect) in our English language it has become the common platform for global communication. This in turn has opened the world to all, making it relatively easy for everybody to travel and communicate with others no matter where on the planet thay live or what is their native tongue. For all it's flaws, the English language is a wonderful and flexuible thing. That's my view and I'm like stickoin to it man! :lol: :lol: :lol:

And for the record, my daughter's biggest complaint about us older people (the generations before hers) is that she wishes we would learn to enunciate. If you ever hear her speak, you will understand why!
monte wrote:How is all this hot rod related i wonder :?: :?: :?:
Monte, Monte Monte, whilst I appreciate the smileys indicate you're only joking, if I were the person adjudicating on whether to grant or not your wish for a 'Shed', this comment could have rather severe negative consequences. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
monte
Old Hand
Posts: 5242
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:58 pm
Location: Maryborough Qld

Re: Changing language

Post by monte »

Should I have put these after it :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: instead of :D :D :D :D :D :D .What I wanted to know is how the whole thread was hot rod related after Dave telling us he was cracking down on these sort of threads at that time and it has nothing to do with the SHED mate :D :D :D :D
User avatar
zuffen
Senior Member
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Changing language

Post by zuffen »

Just so everyone remembers there's no "K" in Schedule.

That one really pisses me off.

Hyundai have an ad saying how smart their car is then say "skeduled" servicing. I think the car is smarter than them.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
LIFESTYLZ
Member
Posts: 821
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Mangakino New Zealand

Re: Changing language

Post by LIFESTYLZ »

k7oaks wrote:pick ups were utes
I have NEVER had any illusions about the "difference" between a Ute and a Pickup.
Post Reply