Changing language

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Dave
Old Hand

Re: Changing language

Post by Dave »

Carps wrote:
The very first Hilux was based off the Stout, which shared it's chassis and drivetrain with the ToyoAce light truck. Stout was built with a conventional two box body on a ladder tyrpe chassis, and ToyoAce, a cab over engine one box body on the same chassis. ToyoAce is still in the line-up alongside the not so heavy duty LiteAce truck, which is a HiAce based forward control Cab Chassis model. All of these trucks are mebers of the Toyota Dyna/Hino Dutro light to meduim duty Truck family.
Ohh Carpy I hate to take you up on Toyota info, BUT, you are leaving some of the history out here. The Hilux started as the Hino Briska in 1961. Hino did actually call it a 'light duty truck' right from the outset. The Briska was a serious competitor to the Toyota Stout until Toyota and Hino hooked up in 1966 to work together and in 1967 the Briska started to be rebadged as a Toyota Briska and even Toyota called it a truck. There is an official picture and some details here. http://www.toyota-global.com/company/hi ... index.html.

In 1968 the little truck was fitted with Toyota engines (not sure if they were from the Lite Stout or passenger cars but Carps will know) and then renamed Hilux, the first model being an RN10 and the very early ones were still being built in the Hino factory, later switching to Toyota! (I have a later RN10) The next model, the RN20, was pretty much an all Toyota design. The Hilux name has remained to this day and I am pretty sure is still the world's best selling Light Commercial. But it started as a Hino!
Dave Petrusma
fatboy48

Post by fatboy48 »

Hi Guy. What really pisses me off, is how a lot of people refer to modified vehicles as "Hopped up". Cars etc are "Hotted up", as they quite often run hot when the motor is worked over, NOT "Hopped up", as I have not seen any car that has jumped up onto any thing yet. !! Got now idea how they came up with "Hopping Up" a car
The other phrase that gets under my skin, is "the vehicle was speeding at 100 k annower instead of an hour.
Listen to the weather report on TV tonight, the Weather Reporters also run the two words together....
I FEEL BETTER NOW...Cheers Rob
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

me either, but when I was playing with R/C cars, upgrades were called hop up parts...... must be a history there somewhere in terminology.

Cheers Mudgy
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
Twin Spinner

Post by Twin Spinner »

Hopped up, souped up yada yada we got from watching yank movies way back before TV arrived.
If it has tits or wheels, you can expect trouble.
LIFESTYLZ

Post by LIFESTYLZ »

fatboy48 wrote:Hi Guy. What really pisses me off, is how a lot of people refer to modified vehicles as "Hopped up".
Try and tell these guys that they are wrong then.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=hop+u ... kQ_AUIBigB

fatboy48

Post by fatboy48 »

not saying they are wrong..... I just don't understand why we dont "HOT UP" our cars, maybe "Hop Up" comes from them having to "Hop Up" into their cars.
It just dosn't make sense to me. Maybe it's a language thing.....OH SHIT, WAS'NT THAT WHAT THE SUBJECT WAS. ??
Maybe we should changed our country to "AMERISTALIA"
NOW DONT GET THE SOOKS WITH ME .... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Cheers Rob..
Twin Spinner

Post by Twin Spinner »

''Hop Up'' into there cars :lol: you need to get out more often young'un :lol:
LIFESTYLZ

Post by LIFESTYLZ »

Hop up definition

Verb 1. hop up - make more powerful; "he souped up the old cars"
soup up, hot up, modify
fatboy48

Post by fatboy48 »

Thanks "Lifestyle", now I know where it comes from.
Oh by the way "spinspinner" it's their car not there, maybe I'm an old youngun that knows how to spell.
Any now I can go & have a sook :lol: :lol:
Cheers Rob
Twin Spinner

Post by Twin Spinner »

Well their ya go, too much Hops in my home brew :lol:
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

A hopped up car is when the driver is hieght disadvantaged and has to "Hop UP" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Founding Oz E Rodder Member
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
tub

Post by tub »

Why does the [station wagon] we used to buy up until the 80s that's now on steroids , now get called an SUV. I thought an SUV was 4x4 f100 or chevy and driven buy a famous killer on a fwy rampage in the US many years ago.
Most of the things sold here as SUV's could not transverse the nature strip of the average street never mine be a Sports Utility Vehicle.
I'm older too and not so much of a sheep as the young are today
We have lost most of our language as Aussies , even the differences from state to state have all but gone. I blame the TV for our lost accent , its all coming from the states.
The world knows and loves us by our accent and terminology, I would like to keep it !
Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

The Mrs and I had a little chuckle tonight. I had a visitor today from overseas.... I was late for the meeting.
Said, "there was a prang on the M1, Ambo's were there, ended up chockers"
I got the blankest look.....

So I said after the meeting, "I'm ducking out for a durrie... you know, a dart."

Same blank look.

Then we were just talking, waiting for a cab to come pick him up.... Said, "won a tray o' snags n' chops at the 'Arrie last Friday. Took it to the cheese & kisses, did a barby with spuds in the jacket... ended up full as a goog" .

Mate, he just said to me, "can I have that again, in English?"
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
LIFESTYLZ

Post by LIFESTYLZ »

tub wrote:Why does the [station wagon]
The world knows and loves us by our accent and terminology,
Steady up on the love bit mate. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

LIFESTYLZ wrote:
tub wrote:Why does the [station wagon]
The world knows and loves us by our accent and terminology,
Steady up on the love bit mate. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Looks like we have established some universal language in the world of Hot Rodding understood by all. Another two languages that are universal is the "language of love" as portrayed in the sixties hit of that name by John Delaudermilk or similar spelling . And currency . I remember my High school days and the local Italian fruiterer ,I cannot recall what actually bought it on, but in response to someone in an in store conversation he rubbed his thumb and first finger together on an outstretched hand and in a philosophical manner was saying that "money speaks all languages"
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31