rack to suit hk front end

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Sudsy

Re: rack to suit hk front end

Post by Sudsy »

I thought the Cortinas were forward steer

[/quote]

Yeah I wish we had those in Perth , going to Adelaide in June and plan on visiting a couple with a tape measure while we are there 👍 I have a TE Cortina power rack at home , will offer that up and see how it looks as well.
[/quote]
Regards Bob
blacky

Post by blacky »

Sudsy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:42 am I thought the Cortinas were forward steer

Yeah they are mate, I have one in my FB on a HR front end. HKTG being wider I am not sure if they will be any good but it will cost nothing to try.
Member of Cranksters Rod and Kustom Club.
I dont care what the question is , the answer is more power !
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

blacky wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:30 pm
Sudsy wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:42 am I thought the Cortinas were forward steer

Yeah they are mate, I have one in my FB on a HR front end. HKTG being wider I am not sure if they will be any good but it will cost nothing to try.
You will need to use the HQ,J,X steering arms to get correct ackerman angle with front steer
Regards Bob
blacky

Post by blacky »

Sudsy wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:36 am
You will need to use the HQ,J,X steering arms to get correct ackerman angle with front steer
Correct. I used to race speedway and did a lot of reading up on suspension design and setup , got a reasonably good idea of what is required.
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Chrisso wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:14 pm I got onre from V6 conversions in Moree the mounting kit and a non powered rack and pinion to suit and it wasn't expensive. :wink:
I bought a kit from Rodtech. Only problem was, it had about 5 turns lock to lock (commodore manual rack).
I had originally had a shortened Austin 1800/MG rack that I fitted to my Essex years ago (which I still had at that stage).
So the rodtech kit went into the Essex (now sold) and the MG rack went into my Chev roadster. (Essex and Chev both had HG front ends).
That rack has only 2.5 turns lock to lock, and is light enough without power steering, to turn the wheel, lock to lock, with the car stopped.

Finding such a rack now would be difficult, but might be worth advertising (in say, Restored Cars etc).
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
blacky

Post by blacky »

jeffa wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:05 pm I bought a kit from Rodtech. Only problem was, it had about 5 turns lock to lock (commodore manual rack).
That is my main gripe about mine , it’s not direct enough.
Naturally the more direct the higher the steering effort which is why I am exploring power rack options.
Jeffa, What model MG was the rack out of and are they front mount or rear ?
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

I am pretty sure MGB? Might have been MGA. BMC 1800 were similar.
I bought it off a guy here in Canberra. Had it shortened here.
That was many years ago.
It is set up for rear steer.
I had a lead for two more up Lithgow way. I'll see if I can find the number.
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

The TAC blokes up here told me to fit HQ steering arms to reduce the turns but I dont like the idea at all ,I have about 4.5 turns from lock to lock ,HK front end with shortened commodore rack with the standard HK steering arms .I looked ar electric steering column but they only assist what you already have so same turns from lock to lock
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Monte,

I think youré right in not wanting to fit the HQ arms.

This would alter bump steer as outer end of the steering arms would be out of sinc with the inner ends as the arms would now go further forward rather than the straighter path to the shorter arms.

The real answer is in the getting the correct length rack in the right place.

Easier said than done.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Someone mentioned earlier about an Astra rack.
I don't know the rack dimensions etc, but they are hydraulic powered, with an electric hydraulic pump mounted on the front cross member.
I think they did it that way so the steering assembly (rack, pump and hoses) could be assembled by the supplier ( ie, offsite), then fitted to the car as an assembly. Saves mucking around with hydraulics when putting the car together.
Much the same way throttles don't use a cable, and automatic gearboxes don't have kickdown or TV cables, nor gearshift linkages. All replaced by a plug and socket. That means no adjustment of cables, linkages etc is required when the car is assembled. And that saves time, and you don't need to pay someone who can adjust stuff on the assembly line. Just plug in the sub-assemblies.
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

monte wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:08 am The TAC blokes up here told me to fit HQ steering arms to reduce the turns but I dont like the idea at all ,I have about 4.5 turns from lock to lock ,HK front end with shortened commodore rack with the standard HK steering arms .I looked ar electric steering column but they only assist what you already have so same turns from lock to lock
Monte the HQ arms are for forward steer so throws the akerman angle out totally. If you can find someone to bend them out AND certify them they would work. Not sure if anyone makes shorter arms for these.

Jeffa, the Astra rack is centre steer like a Camira so can be made to work. Not sure about the travel though
Regards Bob
spanners

Post by spanners »

I had a manual Commodore rack narrowed by Stewie Campbell, Edgeworth for the HG crossmember I put in a '39 Chev pickup that I was building. I think the arms I used were HQ 6 cylinder drum brake. Unfortunately I sold it unfinished but it had been passed by the engineer as good to go with only blowing apart for painting and trimming needed to be done. I only ever drove around my backyard and up and down the long driveway but steered good and was not many turns lock to lock. I never felt it needed power steering.
Shirley you must be joking? I'm not, and don't call me Shirley.