FJ Holden's

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
hotrodaccountant1929

FJ Holden's

Post by hotrodaccountant1929 »

who ever said that FJ Holden's do not play a part in Australia's Hot Rod history -

look at the covers of these magazines...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Custom-Rodde ... f23&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Custom-Rodde ... 030&_uhb=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Custom-Rodde ... 2f2&_uhb=1
spoggie

Re: FJ Holden's

Post by spoggie »

Holdens dominated hot rod culture. BTW, I'm sure Eddie Ford himself could cut a better deal for you on C.R back issues than E-Pay.
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

hotrodaccountant1929 wrote:who ever said that FJ Holden's do not play a part in Australia's Hot Rod history -
'twuzn't me! :D
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
vintford

Post by vintford »

Please see the extract from the minutes of the NSW DC meeting held last week, it now means that mono constructed cars can be entered at the Street Rod Nationals. The way I read it, it means that Holdens, Valiants and Ford Falcons up to 65/66 are now accepted as entrants to the Street Rod Nationals.

Mono constructed vehicles:.
At the phone hookup of the NCC on Wed 27th, a vote was taken by all the Directors on behalf of the respective states re the acceptance of a class covering mono constructed vehicles.
The vote was 5 for, 2 against (NSW/Tas).
Previously mono constructed vehicles were classified ASRF class if they met the points level in Radical Custom. Custom Classic class has not been an option. Now, mono-constructed must meet the minimum level as set out in Custom Classic. Requirements are:
a) Street registration as recognised by the relevant State Registration Authorities.
b) Hydraulic brakes on all four wheels.
c) A paint finish of an acceptable standard.
d) A wheel change of significance.
e) Upholstery of an acceptable standard.
f) Detailing of the following areas: engine compartment, underside, trunk or pick-up bed interior.
These minimum requirements must be met to be ASRF class vehicle, (1949 to ‘65/’66 )American origin or mono constructed. The most visible part being a significant wheel change; if it looks like a stock vehicle, then it cannot be classified as an ASRF class vehicle and would be denied entry into the ASRF numbered Nationals.
Mark Saunders
Old Hand

Post by Mark Saunders »

Hi Ray

Sort of, but four corrections

This change puts chassiless 49 to 65 classics on the same footing as chassied ones .....so it's not just about entry to the Nationals....... it's about owners of chassisless vehicles being made welcome by our organisation, and all the stuff we do. But yes, Nationals entry will be one obvious change, since it is one of the few things we were actively excluding chassisless cars from

and, the NSW minutes have three errors:
the 'minimum requirements' a to f listed apply to all Customs, not just custom classic class
the chassisless vehicles haven't been added to Custom Classic, a new class has been created in parallel to custom classic
the ASRF does not specify anywhere in either the Handbook or the Constitution that customs must be of American Origin .......it is just an often repeated myth

On the "standard looking" part ...... the rules there haven't changed at all, and the same rules should be applied to customs regardless of their degree of chassiness
So if 'standard' looking vehicles get turned way from a Nats it should be applied equally to ones with chassis as well as those without :D

As has been said elsewhere, I think November 27th 2013 will become a Historic day for the ASRF as it's the day we FINALLY got rid of the devisive and unproductive descrimination against chassis deficient customs. I am proud to have been involved in drafting the wording for the new class and playing a role in the long campaign for this change.
cripple-pete

Post by cripple-pete »

Thank you to all involved, a great advance..
I hope all get behind this and encourage owners to join up.
Pete..
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

....our FJ,circa about 1970...

....also had a 39 Ford as well as a 36 Sedan at the time,but this one was one the road....running a 272 and auto.....
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

Oldcol wrote:....our FJ,circa about 1970...

....also had a 39 Ford as well as a 36 Sedan at the time,but this one was one the road....running a 272 and auto.....
Shit col you put a bloody ford engine in an old holden ,its a wonder that all the text screws didnt fall out ,ok yer i had one too ,must say i was never impressed with the engineering on the dear old things ,but they were basic and did the job i guess :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maffra
Old Hand

Post by Maffra »

Has your old FJ with the Y Block survived Col :?: . . . would be an interesting car to have around these days :D 8)

Thanks and regards :)
Maffra

. . . . Living and Learning . . . .

Member of Oz E Rodders Street Rod and Kustom Club
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Nope,'tis deceased....I beaned a near new HG Taxi with it ( never should fiddle with the radio when you're supposed to be pointing the car in the right direction :wink: )......however the engine lived on in the sectioned '34 Coupe we had ( same one I'm trying to find now).....cheers....
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Mark Saunders wrote:As has been said elsewhere, I think November 27th 2013 will become a Historic day for the ASRF as it's the day we FINALLY got rid of the devisive and unproductive descrimination against chassis deficient customs. I am proud to have been involved in drafting the wording for the new class and playing a role in the long campaign for this change.
Despite your pride, your prejudice is also showing in this statement.

The vehicles in question are not "Chassis deficient" or in any other way "deficient" they simply have the chassis integrated into the body structure to make them lighter and in many cases stronger!

Thus, the correct non prejudicial term remains 'unibody', or 'monocoque' construction and it seems tho the rules have changed, there's still a ways to go before everybody accepts them as equals.
Young Carps

Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

Carps, well picked up and "very relevant". :shock:

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Here's more evidence from a handful of local magazines I just pulled from the bottom of a long unused wardrobe.
Not all are Humpies but then all that proves is that early Holdens in general were a staple during Australian hot rodding's formative years.

Of the two Fords on these pages one was powered by Holden sicks, which pretty much sums up the drag strip brand balance..

And a couple of later models.

One of my favourites, I count five Humpies plus an FC in this ASRF Nat's cover image…..

Young Carps

FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

There is no doubt from those of us who started tinkering in the 60,s that these vehicles were the most modified by youth of all vehicles plying our roads .
You only had to look at the car parks of a Sat nite in the various church / rec/town halls that were hired out for dances . They definitely had their place in our history.
Pretty common theme though. front/rear roll pans international quad lights custom grilles and the obligatory Wolsely "mini grilles" fitted to the lower rear of the front guards. EJ tail lights up back..
After market gauges fitted to the under dash bracket and floor shift.
Shave the head ,fit twin carbs/extractors ,lighten the fly wheel and fit cams that went in conversation to various fractions of "race".
Immediately these things would out perform the vast majority of common family vehicles at the time.
Some of us found that with less work you could jump into an OHV Customline and get the same excitement :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Frank.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
StreetRodBob

Post by StreetRodBob »

yeah, back in the 60's I had FJ's and an FX - but they were only used as drivers while I worked on my 34 Fordor

lets face it there's a huge difference between a hotted up holden and a real hotrod. :mrgreen:

hmmm, whose gunna bite? :lol: :lol:
Regards

Bob Thomas
As for "greener" vehicles... when i were young when somebody said you were green they meant you were naive. Actually, its still the go me-thinks