OLD TIN Section – Post it here! *NEW - TIN HUNT PICS*

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
Pig (OINKS)

OLD TIN Section – Post it here! *NEW - TIN HUNT PICS*

Post by Pig (OINKS) »

As discussed in the topic; "Selling to the enemy - Sims?" in the 'The Pub (Off Topic)' section; http://www.ozrodders.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5505 I suggested starting a Post for Old Tin...

I am going to kick this off with a few pics from Andrew Clatworthy's OldHolden.com Album which can be found here along with his contact details for his Business, Streetneat Panels Rod and Custom... Ph (07) 3206 0340 here in SE QLD; http://gallery.oldholden.com/Streetneat

The following pictures are from his "Roaming for Wrecks" Album which can be found in his main Album area, there are loads of pictures of old Holden’s from his travels, but there is also many interesting items in the background shots, these were taken on a Farm out the back of Ipswich, I am sure if someone contacted Andrew in relation to an old wreck they saw in his Album, he would endeavor to find out more for them given the time to look when he goes out there or negotiate a price for you with the property owner... :?

I wouldn't mind the Bonnet/ Bonnet sides and Grille from this one to use as the basis for the Boat Tail Roadster rear on my Singer... :lol:

The basic idea I have here regarding this Post section is this; as I find anything or anyone else finds anything that maybe of use to someone else, if you aren't going to make use of it, if it is beyond you or your budget to tote a trailer out into the Bush, if you think the asking price from the property owner is too rich for your likings, if you think the old wreck is too far gone for your abilities or wallet, then you can post a picture of what you have found and the location or contact details of where they are here in this Post so that others may find themselves a project and save another old Gal from the Crushers... :lol:

The way I see things, I am just a plain out and out car nut who if I can find something for someone and pass it on and it kicks off a new Rod, Kustom or Rodder, then power to the Sport of Hot Rodding! :wink:

So many old cars go to waste because they just don't measure up to the Restorer’s expectations so they leave it to rot into the ground, where as someone with the time and abilities to slice and dice it into a Kustom without ruining a perfectly good example could make use of what another deems worthless... :P

It isn't always about the almighty dollar, looking at the investment most make when building a Rod, as an entry to the world of Rodding, why not grab something cheap (OR FREE!) for your first Rod or Kustom?
At least this way you have not taken a perfect example off of the road and destroyed it... :wink:

I hope this works for some, I know for others it is about the almighty dollar, but when helping a fellow Rodder, for me it is about the comradery that Rodding brings... :D

I have the time, and if I find anything that maybe of interest, then my time will be passed onto someone else who is looking for a break free of charge, after all we can't all afford that elusive '32/'34 Five Window Ford Coupe can we, I have already passed up way too many Odd-Rod Fodder projects over the years whilst holding out for my dream Rod, but 30 years on I now realise that any Rod is a good Rod compared to something late model and tinny, for me, time for something different, hence my Singer that was found behind a Barn picked clean by the Restorers and left to rot, hopefully it will live again through my hands… :roll:

Ok so I am a Pisces and a Dreamer, isn’t that what it says in the Horoscopes all the time? :lol:

So come on fella's, I am sure there are those of you who know where there is an old wreck sitting right this minute knowing full well you aren't going to make use of it, but feel compelled to stay Mum in case you change your mind in the next decade or two... :roll:

Cheers, Pig (OINKS)
Last edited by Pig (OINKS) on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
klassik

Post by klassik »

Great idea Pig,

This could be a busy little area of the forum if it kicks off.

Craig
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will

www.klassikkartoonz.com
Pig (OINKS)

Post by Pig (OINKS) »

klassik wrote:Great idea Pig,

This could be a busy little area of the forum if it kicks off.

Craig
Well I am hoping so mate, all this talk and squabling over Scrap Metal Merchants, Crushing bodies, Old Tin drying up and rotting into the ground because no one wants it, I am sure if a few more people found out about what is out there sitting in peoples backyards, old sheds or in the Bush, then hopefully we will see more old Wrecks resurrected instead of wrecked beyond any hope of salvage...
It is ok to tell a few buddies, but post it here and we have a shyte load of like minded people looking for a project, we have young blokes looking for Old Tin to piece together a Rat-Bucket all in steel, talking about it isn't going to get the ball rolling so I bit the bullet.
IF I can weed out anything via any means necessary, then instead of complaining I am actually doing something to try and reverse this vile trend of crushing suitable tin, if I had the space (which I will after I rid a few cars from my backyard :lol: lol) I would love to grab odds and ends for a maybe future project, a toof from this, a cowl from that, guards from one of those and doors from a bitza then chop, weld and shape it all into something that, well isn't a belly button :lol:

SO, start posting guys, I am sure some of you have photos tucked away from your tin hunts, share, pleassssse, it is all for a very good cause :wink:

I keep hearing all about the old Brotherhood of Rodders who all lobbed at one blokes house on a weekend to help him piece his new Rod together and get it mocked, then he would return the favour, and so on and so on, hell if anyone local to me needs some pointers in panel beating, a little wiring, painting their mechanicals etc, I would be more than pleased to sit down and discuss or type out a how to etc to help someone, who knows, maybe the favour might be repayed and someone help me where I fall down with building my Rod?
If I am up to it and not physically rooted that weekend (a broken leg has its limitations at times) they could pick me up and I could crack out their oxy and do some rust repairs or modifying, I'd love to get my hands dirty again or just plain throw some advice for someone who is lacking in an area I can help in...
The one thing I detested most about getting into Panel Beating was the secrecy involved, no mongrel wanted to share any trade secrets, in the end I took time out and did 2 1/2 years in a Custom Panel Shop working for peanuts to teach myself a trade and never looked back until my accident caught up with me.
I would like to see a section here where sort of like some of the stuff I have seen on the HAMB (only been there a couple of times) "How To's" are posted for future reference, like I think it was JimBob's Windscreen Post How To, Belly's Grill Shell, the Low Buck heater and the Radiator Shroud with Thermo Fans etc (Sorry guys forgot names and be blowed if I can find that Shroud How to, bloody brilliant! Who's was it again?)

I don't know, maybe as I said, I am a bit of a Dreamer and maybe I expect too much from life in general sometimes, but I do like the idea of a Brother/Sisterhood of Guys'n Gals all helping each other because we love what we do and we love our cars... :roll:

Damn, another mini novel! :lol:
But does anyone else get where I am coming from? :?
I'll stop there... For now! :wink:

Cheers, Pig (OINKS)
36kemp

Post by 36kemp »

Great stuff Pig,the more that know about the old tin ,the better the chance of saving it,again great stuff,cheers mick
uıɐƃɐ ʎɐqǝ ɟɟo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ןן,ı
Cromag

Post by Cromag »

Well said Pig.

saw these November 05, from the highway at Carcoar NSW.

hotrodmatt

Post by hotrodmatt »

Cromag wrote: saw these November 05, from the highway at Carcoar NSW.
Now does that scream family rod or what? Wonder if it is still there....
Dirty Harry

Post by Dirty Harry »

Yeah Pig, I know what you mean. Having been around the scene's edges for a lot of years I finally came to the conclusion that rather than trying to match the big dollar guys, it was more to the point to get on the road. Hence I "lowered my expectations" and finished up with my 65 Belair _yeah, I know , late model and chev to boot. But, and I suppose I'm eventually getting to the point I hope to make, it's paid for, on the road, just manages to sqeak in to an ASRF class and is what I am happy with even though it isn't what I rooly want (swmbo please take careful note :( ) a 27 T roadster (dream). So, to the point, if it wasn't for an ad for a 53 Chev, in VERY poor shape, 99% rust 1% paint, and quite possibly beyond help, I wouldnt have found my money sponge and had all the fun I've had since. :wink:
Gee, that's the most I've written ever, my old english teacher would be proud - if she was still alive that is :twisted:
Cromag

Post by Cromag »

I dont know if the Vanguard is still there, but in the pic with the ute you can see the guard rail and traffic of the highway, so it wont be too hard to spot. Ive got other pics of the engine bay and inside if wanted, (just climbed the fence and snapped away). Because Ive got no reputation (except one of low expectations) Ive got to say- 4 cyls are looking better everyday..........not as good as a Flatty 8 ....but acheivable.
Pig (OINKS)

Post by Pig (OINKS) »

THAT Vanguard! :lol:
That is soooooo much like the one that my Dad bought back in '69 when we moved from outback Chinchilla to the Sunshine Coast after Mum put her foot down over Dad throwing us kids into the back of his beloved FJ Ute :lol:
We went everywhere in that Ute, once we even drove from Chinchilla to Recliffe and back after visiting the Uncle and Aunty and go to the beach, a big thrill for country kids who were in the middle of an 8 year drought at the time...
BUT, THAT Vanguard! Dad's was Cream in colour and the interior smelt like, well the only cars I have ever owned or come across since that old Wagon are Morris Minors, sit inside an original old Morrie and it instantly reminds me of that old Vanguard, it was like brand new inside and out apart from that old four cylinder motor which I think was a flat head four, that sucker was like old faithful and a mere five minute drive home from town (Nambour) up Hospital Hill would see the radiator doing its best imitation of a geezer that is still as fresh in my memory as if it was yesterday! :lol:
It was almost a ritual to have all us kids stand back clear while Mum would fetch the hose for Dad to try and cool it down :lol:
Personally (today) if it were me I would have looked at the Radiator first, then the Thermostat, then the Water Pump to see which was faulty and what it needed to be fixed it. :?

I do wonder how many are sitting quiet here whilst they know of grave yards and old jiggers sitting in decay begging to be saved but would rather stay Mum "Just in case".... :?

Thanks for sharing mate, that old Vanguard has bought back a flood of memories for me, Cheers, Pig (OINKS)
Pig (OINKS)

Post by Pig (OINKS) »

Dirty Harry wrote:Yeah Pig, I know what you mean. Having been around the scene's edges for a lot of years I finally came to the conclusion that rather than trying to match the big dollar guys, it was more to the point to get on the road. Hence I "lowered my expectations" and finished up with my 65 Belair _yeah, I know , late model and chev to boot. But, and I suppose I'm eventually getting to the point I hope to make, it's paid for, on the road, just manages to sqeak in to an ASRF class and is what I am happy with even though it isn't what I rooly want (swmbo please take careful note :( ) a 27 T roadster (dream). So, to the point, if it wasn't for an ad for a 53 Chev, in VERY poor shape, 99% rust 1% paint, and quite possibly beyond help, I wouldnt have found my money sponge and had all the fun I've had since. :wink:
Gee, that's the most I've written ever, my old english teacher would be proud - if she was still alive that is :twisted:
Looking back, I wish I had started my 'Econo-Rod' when I wanted to instead of listening to the guys who I worked with at a local Rod business and the TAC guy that was there at the time, my plan was to take a Daihatsu Handi Van chassis that had the original 3cylinder engine in it backed by a 4 speed box, it had wide wheels and a chequer plate floor on the back with a big thick Ute Rollbar, it looked pretty horny as a Bush Basher, but I had it for a mere $50.00! :lol:
I wanted to unbolt all the crap from it and bolt up a T Roadster body, fit Model A Guards and a Track T front and Duval style Windscreen, everything would have been covered, I wanted to paint it bright Yellow with full Flames in Red/ Orange to white tips like I did on my FX Sedan, paint the Rims Red with Baby Moon Caps and trims and throw in a Red and Yellow Tuck'n'Roll interior done from Diving Suit material...
To me it was a plan, a Handi Van can pull 60mph easily on the Hiway and return 30 to 40mpg, now fitted with a small lowslung streamlined T Body I reckon it could have easily exceed the legal limits and returned 40 to 50mpg...
But it didn't matter which way I went my plans were crushed and ridiculed, to these guys it was NOT a Hotrod, I tried to explain that no it wasn't, it was an "Econo-Rod" and that maybe if I built it it might set a new trend for young guys and gals to get into a really cheap Rod, even if it wasn't 'Hot' and only looked the part... In their way of thinking it HAD ro be a Ford and it HAD to be Hemi powered, I didn't want that tho, so let it go and gave up.
BUT, today that Econo-Rod is still rattling around in my head and I really do think that it COULD be done! :lol: 'Cept now I am locked into doing my Singer so will have to leave that to someone else orrrr I do have a 6week old Grand Daughter, maybe by the time she turns 17 she could have a Econo-Rod that hovers and runs on Magnets? :lol: hehehe
I reckon if you really want to do it and it is cheap and FUN FUN FUN! Then DO IT! :lol: hehehe

Cheers, Pig (OINKS)
Cromag

Post by Cromag »

Pig, I havent loaded the other photos of the Vanguard on photobucket yet, but the inside of this little beuty smells like hay-or mice, all the guages etc are still there and I think a seat. under the hood its got a overhead valve 4cyl, and it looked all OK I suspect it is/was driveable. If the missus wasnt down on me for having too many projects (and ignoring the gardening) it wouldve come back with me. Oh bye the way- cheers for the ebay updates on whats out there, it saves a lot of time knowing someone has done a good search on everyones behalf. Thanks.

Wheres the rest - You know they need to be on the road
hotrodmatt

Post by hotrodmatt »

I think I am going to buy flowers on the way home and cook a nice dinner and ask the Minister for War and Finances ever so politely "Can we go to Carcoar? I thought it might be a nice drive and I'm sure the kids would enjoy it as much as the family trip we were planning to Canberra"

Once she sees that car, we'll be working out how to get it home...
Cromag

Post by Cromag »

PM'd you with other pics HRMatt, suggest to save yourself a trip out there phone the local pub and see if they know if its still there- (Id say its the Royal), QAlternativly SRV's old man has a pub in Blayney about 10minutes away maybe he knows.
hotrodmatt

Post by hotrodmatt »

Thanks... Will follow this one up.
hotrodmatt

Post by hotrodmatt »

Well, well... SWMBO has demanded that we chase it up!

Anyone reckon we'd shoe horn a V engine in there?