1970's Magnum mags

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
Andyd

1970's Magnum mags

Post by Andyd »

When I built my 1940 Dodge in the early/mid 70's I had a set of Magnum mags on it, made by Sampson Engineering , Sth Australia. I still have the 15x10" rear mags on the car but sold the original 14x8 front wheels yrs ago, they were too wide so I ended up getting some 14x6" mags, no idea who made them tho' I have been told they are ROH Valiant style......anyway does anyone know if there were more than one style of 14x6 Magnum mags in the mid 70's........I would like to replace the front mags that are on it with Magnum ones that match to backones, yeh, I know, like its only 35 odd yrs ago........lol.......I have found one 14x6 Sampson Eng mag but am unsure whether its a "Magnum", it has a "curved" rim rather than a stepped rim like the rear 15x10's.........does anyone know of a website, car pic whatever,etc that might have pics of 1970's magnum mags.......oh........and I've given up trying to post a pic on here.....BUT there is a few pics of the car on the About Us page at http://www.scaleautomobilia.com.au ........any help greatfully rec'd....also its Ford bolt pattern.........thanks, andy douglas
spanners

Re: 1970's Magnum mags

Post by spanners »

Don't panic, I'm one who loves the old style 'Mags'. The Magnum Eliminator was a deep dish smooth type of rim but if your 10s have a step the best bet is to find Aunger 6" to match but hate to say it these are short on the ground these days. The closest you might get is a 7".
Shirley you must be joking? I'm not, and don't call me Shirley.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

May have a couple here , could You please post pic front on and I will check out for You. Cheers Rebel .Koolsville. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Proud member of
[img]http://www.ozerodders.com/images/oer-member.gif[/img]
truck

Post by truck »

Post a pic as I think I have a set of 4 in ford pattern.
I like reading poetry, long walks on the beach...and poking dead things with sticks.
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Thanks for the quick replies.BUT I cannot work out how to post a pic on here.......I can attach pics to an email or you can see some pics of what I have on the shop "About Us" page as indicated above.......Spanners, the Magnum "Eliminator" name rings a bell........whats on the front at the moment is what I'd call a "kidney bean or slotted mag style hole", these front rims use a nut made from a hex bar with a taper that fits into a machined taper in the nut hole, NO flat or any washer is used. The rear Magnums on the other hand use a flat washer that locates in a machined recess around the stud hole...............if anyone wants to email ME at scaleautomobilia@hotkey.net.au then I can attach a couple of pics showing whats on the car thats o/k with me........thanks, Andy Douglas
compact
Old Hand

Post by compact »

i have some 14x7 samson engineering magnums.....will get a pic if i remember at the shop next time
[img]http://www.ozerodders.com/images/oer-member.gif[/img]
http://www.ozerodders.com/

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
HOT ROD FRED
Old Hand

Post by HOT ROD FRED »

In the 1970's I used Magnum mags on my 37 sedan.The rears were 14 x 8" & the fronts 14 x 7".The rears had the flat lip,but the fronts only came in a smooth dished style.They turn up at swap meets occasionally,or keep an eye out on Ebay if you don't succeed here :)
slightlydangerous
Location: The Dusty Adelaide Plains Home of the Mighty Crows & A Slightly Dangerous Dragster

Post by slightlydangerous »

These are Magnum mk 11 ... 15 x 8 , Magnum is the name Sampson engineering gave their wheel range

i had deep dish mags many years ago ... deep dish from the wheel bead with no step up , ( may have been eliminators )

we bought direct from the factory at Frederick Rd Royal Park

cant find the pic of them but ill keep looking

im after another pair of these Ford 15 x 8

I live life in the fast lane but my hair just couldn't keep up!!

I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I'm a drunk, I go to parties
46INTER

Post by 46INTER »

I have magnum mags on my a modeel rear are 15x10 fronts are 15x7 Ihad never seen 15x7 before i got mine on ebay the front are the same design as rear Ihave 14X7 on my hotrod trailor which look the same sorry i can't post photos either Graeme
42inter

Post by 42inter »

Hi Andyd I've got a few pairs, 14's and 15's ford, early holden and HQ pattern, some are the 5 hole angular like like slightly dangerous's picture sone pair with 5 oval holes and another with 6 oval holes. not sure which width stud pattern and style each is, all are up for grabs!

Photo's are easy once you know how, try Barnsey's threadhttp://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopi ... +photo%27s
cause a pic or two would make it easier!

Cheers, Scotty.
It is true you cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
.......... However most days I try to take a pigs arse and turn it into a hand crafted leather wallet!
Mr Cool
Old Hand

Post by Mr Cool »

Is this the car and wheels youre talking about?
Regards
Chris Stork.
Founding Member of Oz E Rodders Rod and Kustom Club.
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

Chris, yes that's it. :D

Andy, just be very wary when checking out Magnums. :?

Mustangs had a mag wheel called a Magnum.

So did Chrysler, the Mustang ones had the pony on the centre cap and the Chrysler ones had a target on the centre cap.

So if anyone comes up with some make sure you ask for a pic.

Could be confusing. :wink:

The two I have mentioned are nothing like what you are after. :(

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
Mr Cool
Old Hand

Post by Mr Cool »

Thanks Mick. I dont know these late model things very well :lol:
Ive got a few of these wheels, but only in HQ pattern.
Regards
Chris Stork.
Founding Member of Oz E Rodders Rod and Kustom Club.
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Yep, thats the ol' brown turd........lol.......tho' its in the process of getting a painted roof instead of the vinyl top, after 37 yrs........but I digress, yeh, Mick I knew about the US "magnum" styled steel wheels, but had not mentioned them so as to try & keep it to Oz Sampson Eng. rims.........Mr Cool, thanks for posting the pic, its hard to see clearly but the rear wheels are a different style opening to the front, anyway if anyone has any good clear pics of the 1970's Magnum 14x6 or 7 rim it would be good..............42Inter, you mention the angular style, which appears to be what I am looking for and you have some?........any chance you could post a pic either here or as an email direct to me?.........thanks andyd
wchappo

Post by wchappo »

Hey Andy,get with the times & bring the old turd up to date with a set of 20"/ 22" billets with rubber bands :P Chappo :twisted: