1970's Magnum mags

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
Rebel

Re: 1970's Magnum mags

Post by Rebel »

Just took a Break from project,I have 2x 14 x6 Sampson South Australia smooth side Mags {Falcon / Valiant} pattern ,1x14 x6 stepside dont know Brand,all three were given to Me for Project now Dust collectors,Cheers Rebel Koolsville.
Proud member of
[img]http://www.ozerodders.com/images/oer-member.gif[/img]
spanners

Post by spanners »

Yes, it looks from the photo that the fronts are Magnum Eliminator but the rear ones have got a Jelly-bean hole with sharper edges.
Shirley you must be joking? I'm not, and don't call me Shirley.
Bacca

Post by Bacca »

Love that style of mags & have some to go on the Chev if I ever get the chassis rebuilt
1930 Chev Tourer & my others here
http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34879&start=0
Bodgy Bros. If we can't fix it no one else will once we have a go!
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Chappo, next thing someone will want me to polish the 'ol turd..........lol.........I've had to whisper sweet nothings up its exhaust pipe as it is........it got quite partial to its vinyl top............lol...........andyd
Cool 32

Post by Cool 32 »

Andy, have you still got the' Eastern States Street Rod Association' sticker on the rear quarter window, I still have my jacket patch floating around somewhere.
[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/TUB32/WestcoastEmblema.jpg[/img]
"Absurdity is my Reality"
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Cool32, yep still has the Eastern States decal, occaisonally get asked about it, lol.........I have some better pics of the 'ol brown turd that show the wheels better.......but I can't post pics here........I would be happy to email the pics as an attachment to anyone if you want to send an email to me then I'll send the pics back to you .my email addy is .......... scaleautomobilia@hotkey.net.au .....apologies for the roundabout way of doing things....... Rebel & 42Inter....I would be interested in purchasing a pair of rims if they are the right style, etc.......include a contact phone number & I'll call.......thanks, andyd
Retro Boy

Post by Retro Boy »

The 15x10 wheel was the only wheel with the sharp lip Sampson made and was a copy of a yank wheel - I don't recall but I bought a second hand pair one that were actually US Indy (?) maybe? There was 2 styles of 15x8's one like Slightly Dangerous posted and an earlier one with the curved lips not unlike your 14x6 fronts. I've been looking out for a pair of the early smooth style 15x8's for a few years. They seem to be non existent. Unfortunately you won't be able to match your rears and fronts so just use the 14x6's as you would have done in the '70's. I have a pair of 6's here that I've been going to get entire wheel media blasted and the then polish the lips for a too groovy as cast old school look.
Cheers
Tony
https://www.facebook.com/OldRaceCarsHotRodsInSheds
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

RETRO, thats interesting re the 15x10 being a one off design....when I bought the wheels originally I got a pair of 14x8 for the front, am almost certain they were the same style as the backs.......I could be wrong tho'............the original tyres were Gates Renegades.......whoopi do!!!!!!lol.....G60's on the front and L60's on the back.......the fronts lasted about 1 block, impossible to steer so they were swapped for F60's which were there for couple of yrs then after a particularly graceful 360 degree swaparound in the wet the wankmaster skideasys were replaced with T/A radials.......then some time in the distant past the front wheels ended up being the Valiant(?) style 14x6's.....................it would be interesting to be able to get some definative answers regarding these rims........lol........for what its worth when I went to get the rims my original intention was to get a set of 15x6 and 15 x10 Globe 5 spoke Bathurst rims, a phone call during the week assured me they were available & in stock..........when I got there that Sat morning, only to be told they only had 15x 8 Globes............"buggar!, I've travelled an hr to get here and have all this cash in my pocket!"........"Well Sonny, we'll see what we can do for you"..........and 37 yrs later here we are.........lol.........andyd
Retro Boy

Post by Retro Boy »

Aunger jelly bean 14x8 had a double lip. Ya just never see 'em any more.. When I was in 3rd year high school Sampson Engineering wasn't far from school so influenced buy the shiny ad's in Australian Hot Rodding Review I figured that would be a better option than school and I could get a job there. Luckily smarter heads than mine prevailed and I never got that glamorous job in a foundry!
Cheers
Tony
slightlydangerous
Location: The Dusty Adelaide Plains Home of the Mighty Crows & A Slightly Dangerous Dragster

Post by slightlydangerous »

slightlydangerous wrote:These are Magnum mk 11 ... 15 x 8 , Magnum is the name Sampson engineering gave their wheel range

i had deep dish mags many years ago ... deep dish from the wheel bead with no step up , ( may have been eliminators )

we bought direct from the factory at Frederick Rd Royal Park

cant find the pic of them but ill keep looking

im after another pair of these Ford 15 x 8

This is the style i had on my HQ in the 70's these are on eBay @ the moment and are 13 x 7

Below are 14 inch on eBay

I live life in the fast lane but my hair just couldn't keep up!!

I'm not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings. I'm a drunk, I go to parties
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Slightly..........now I AM confused.........lol.........the 15x10's I have look basically the same as those 15x8's, Magnum Mk11s........now memory is a strange thing but I always thought that the front mags I originally had were the "smooth" sided magnums, ie, the style you had on your 1970's HQ............but comparing those HQ smoothie rims to those 14" rims on ebay and I am not sure now........lol........the plot thickens.......lol......wish there was a difinative listing of exactly what rims were available............andyd
Retro Boy

Post by Retro Boy »

This is a 15 x 10 Magnum Eliminator MKII on my old car. Sharper look than the 15x8 and I reckon the same as on the brown sedan.
Magnums had push in caps so the pic SD posted with the raised lip around the centre looks odd. Sankey Benson had that lip on the wheels they supplied Chrysler but they were different again.
Cheers
Tony
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Retro, that wheel on your car is exactly what I have, and am sure that when I originally bought the 4 wheels I had a matching set........now what that matching set was I cannot remember......lol.....also all my rims have had the caps that are held on with 4 screws, none were a push on cap...........so the 15x10's I have are Magnum Eliminator Mk11 wheels.......which, if any of the smaller rims pictured are the M/E Mk11's...if any?.............thanks, andyd
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Hi will get some pics over weekend and ask Freind to post what I have Cheers Rebel.
Proud member of
[img]http://www.ozerodders.com/images/oer-member.gif[/img]
zacs56

Post by zacs56 »

I have 14 x 7 , 14 x 6 and 15 x 8 and a 1/2 but sorry all chev or hq stud pattern .which have screw on caps 4 screw holes .
Yes i got heaps of them as i did have a yard full of holden one tonners at 1 stage
A HOTROD is chopped , droped , and in the weeds and driven .