Old Sydney Speedway

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
QuadCam

Re: Old Sydney Speedway

Post by QuadCam »

Grazza wrote:
Nailhead Bucket wrote:
28 fordave wrote:Here's a coupla more from the McGee workshop:

Notice there - it's got brake handles BOTH sides - never saw that elsewhere!

Maybe the one on the left was for the weight jacker (?)
Built on a rachet system (hence the button in the middle of the nob). Very rough system at the best from what I remember, but they did work OK for the longer races, which were popular back in the day. But as I said before, who the hell had time to play with weights in a midget?? :lol: :lol:
That's Doug Hodson detailing the car. The weight jacker was the one on the right that had a rod connected to an arm pulling on a Bendix on the front spring hanger.
Nailhead Bucket

Post by Nailhead Bucket »

I'm guessing that is a home design sway bar across the radiator (?)
The older I get, the more everyone else can bite my arse.
QuadCam

Post by QuadCam »

Nailhead Bucket wrote:I'm guessing that is a home design sway bar across the radiator (?)
I had to look twice. It's an air hose!
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

I just noticed (or it might be my eyes going!) - Chris, I can't see any shockies on the front, and I don't have a photo showing otherwise - did it have any?
No signature yet, still working on it. Bit like the Roadster, really!
OzeRodders Member
Historic Speedway Assoc. Australia Secretary
QuadCam

Post by QuadCam »

28 fordave wrote:I just noticed (or it might be my eyes going!) - Chris, I can't see any shockies on the front, and I don't have a photo showing otherwise - did it have any?
The were bolted to the front roll bar after it was installed.
Chris.

Phil's boy Luke raced at the Tulsa Shootout last weekend in Tulsa. Leading up to Chili Bowl. Watch Yellow 13.
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

QuadCam wrote:
28 fordave wrote:I just noticed (or it might be my eyes going!) - Chris, I can't see any shockies on the front, and I don't have a photo showing otherwise - did it have any?
The were bolted to the front roll bar after it was installed.
Chris.

Phil's boy Luke raced at the Tulsa Shootout last weekend in Tulsa. Leading up to Chili Bowl. Watch Yellow 13.
Cool vid - how old is he?

The front roll bar - was that bolted to the horizontal plate with the 4 small and 1 large central hole; that's fixed to the main rail?
No signature yet, still working on it. Bit like the Roadster, really!
OzeRodders Member
Historic Speedway Assoc. Australia Secretary
QuadCam

Post by QuadCam »

Luke is Phil's youngest and is 20. He also has Briar 22 who is building a sprintcar and Justin who must be close to 30 and is a member of John Force's Championship team out of Indianapolis. I have one daughter Kaitlyn who is 21 and has been racing since she was eight. http://www.kaitlynmcgeeracing.com

Yes the front roll bar was bolted to the pad with 4 bolts. Later it was changed to a slip in hoop over the radiator and under the nose.
Nailhead Bucket

Here's an interesting one - check out the familiar sprinter at 1.03 and 1.23. Ring any bells ? Do the names Anderson and Rush give you a hint. :wink:

Post by 666 »

Hi, Does any-one know anything about a stock car driver Neil Moxon who raced at the old Westmeade track? I am after info on his car and the motor that powered it.
[color=#400040][i][b][list][size=85]-1923 T-bucket
Nailhead Bucket

38Fargo wrote:Hi, Does any-one know anything about a stock car driver Neil Moxon who raced at the old Westmeade track? I am after info on his car and the motor that powered it.
Try Westmead Speedway on FaceBook.
k7oaks

Post by k7oaks »

38Fargo wrote:Hi, Does any-one know anything about a stock car driver Neil Moxon who raced at the old Westmeade track? I am after info on his car and the motor that powered it.
Neil Moxom had a beautifully prepared car, good duco & signwriting & pin striping, I think (if my old grey matter serves me OK) it was a 1937 Ford Club Coupe. I don't know what the exact engine was, but I'm pretty sure that it was a V8 side valve.
This is the only photo I have of Neil's car.
We used to race on Friday nights at Westmead at times, & this is when this altercation (??) happened.
Neil wasn't driving at the time as Bill Booth Senior had conned Neil into letting him have a drive in #59. Neil agreed as long as Bill took it easy & looked after it. Well, Bill being Bill, he decided to mix it a bit & ended up almost on top of Fred Dickerson #32 & Brian Flood #14 Joined in.
Neil wasn't impressed & let Bill know it !Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken 7
k7oaks

Post by k7oaks »

Whoops, sorry about the duplication of my pic :oops: Don't know how that happened !
Ken 7

Post by 666 »

Thanks for the info. I picked up a tri-powered Y block from a guy who told me he worked for Neil and it was the back-up motor for stock car.
[color=#400040][i][b][list][size=85]-1923 T-bucket
Nailhead Bucket

Wow, Ken ! have that pic amongst my Westmead collection purchased at the track when I was a kid. It's interesting to hear the story behind it.
I should post the others to see if you can fill in the details. I'd be very interested.
k7oaks

Post by k7oaks »

Nailhead Bucket wrote:Wow, Ken ! have that pic amongst my Westmead collection purchased at the track when I was a kid. It's interesting to hear the story behind it.
I should post the others to see if you can fill in the details. I'd be very interested.
I'll see what I can do.
I'd love to see any old pics of Westmead. Especially of the stockcars.
Ken 7