Old Sydney Speedway

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
324dor

Old Sydney Speedway

Post by 324dor »

A neighbour recently gave me some old Sydney speedway photos. I thought that they might be of interest to some of you. The majority are from the old Westmead speedway which was where the Westmead Childrens Hospital now stands. The photos are from around 1964. My neighbours brother raced Midgets but he was also a Hot Rodder. Firstly I'll show photos of his daily driver & then his 32 Roadster.

His first Midget was built in his home garage & was powered by a Holden grey motor.

He still owns this car & apparently wants to sell it. If anybody is interested they can P.M. me.

At different times he also drove 2 other Midgets, winning 2 N.S.W. state titles.

Ken.
Last edited by 324dor on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Re: Old Sydney Speedway

Post by Mr Model A »

thanks Ken for sharing those pix, very interesting, love the sloper with the added pieces on the bonnett, old col knows what they're called. and he'll know the van too
and the roadster with the 34? bonnett great stuff
Cheers, Phil
never odd or even
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

324dor wrote:....

His first Midget was built in his home garage & was powered by a Holden grey motor.

He still owns this car & apparently wants to sell it. If anybody is interested they can P.M. me.

At different times he also drove 2 other Midgets, winning 2 N.S.W. state titles.

Ken.
Brian Myers 1963 & 1965
No signature yet, still working on it. Bit like the Roadster, really!
OzeRodders Member
Historic Speedway Assoc. Australia Secretary
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

....magic Ken..... 8) 8) ....THIS is traditional hotrodding , Aussie style......thanks for sharing the photos with us here......

.....would it be OK to lift the van and '32 pic and post it on the Vintage caravan forum? ,cheers......
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
324dor

Post by 324dor »

Dave.
Yes you are correct. Brian never got to defend his title in 1964 because he got t-boned the week before & copped a broken leg.
Col.
Yes you can post the pics on the Van forum.

Brian Myers drove 3 different Midgets & in this photo he is at the wheel of No.87 which is his own car. He also drove No.77 that is at the front & No.97 that is alongside him. The great John Harvey also drove No.97
.Image

This photo is of Kevin Parks. Kevin lived just a few streets away from me in Iluka before we built our new house at Woombah which is about 15 Klms away. He passed away last year.

Here are a couple of photos of Brian taken at the last night of racing at the Sydney Showground. These cars are the fully restored versions of 97 & 77.
Image .

Ken.
Last edited by 324dor on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Mr Model A wrote:thanks Ken for sharing those pix, very interesting, love the sloper with the added pieces on the bonnett, old col knows what they're called. and he'll know the van too
and the roadster with the 34? bonnett great stuff
Cheers, Phil
...nope, but I've asked on the old van forum to see if they can ID it...... the Sloper's easier :) .....the little teardrop vents are locally made Streamlux accessories , (the company still exists too 8) )....the little stars are another add on accessory ,looks like it's got an FJ bonnet bird too and the sunvisor is similar to the one on my '49 Pickup, another good local product by Cooldrive.......again,grouse pics..... 8) 8) 8)
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
HYPORX
Old Hand

Post by HYPORX »

:shock: The van behind the rod... :shock:

Great photos, thanks for sharing and history lessons are always welcomed.
"Obviously your ambition outweighs your talent" Casey Stoner to Valentino Rossi. 03/04/2011
28 fordave

Post by 28 fordave »

324dor wrote:...This photo is of Kevin Parks. Kevin lived just a few streets away from me in Iluka before we built our new house at Woombah which is about 15 Klms away. He passed away last year.

I think that 66 car was an ex- Jack Brabham car. Kevin won the 1964 World Speedcar Championship in that at the Showground, beating Johnny Harvey. The midget ran a Holden grey motor (I think?) with a Hedley McGee Revmaster cam.
No signature yet, still working on it. Bit like the Roadster, really!
OzeRodders Member
Historic Speedway Assoc. Australia Secretary
wchappo

Post by wchappo »

324dor Hi Ken the no77 is the Herb Elliott(Elliott Special) car, called Dopey,its owned by rob smart ,who's near us,has the car for sale,on Brian Darby's vintage speedway site http://www.vintagespeedway.com,if any one's interested Chappo Ps.the #87 would look good behind my 39 even if it is a convert & not a sloper,however the chances of Swmbo allowing that,would be to costly to contemplate,however we can allways dream :cry:
ken1939

Post by ken1939 »

Great stuff, thanks for posting! I always wondered what a 34 hood would look like with a 32 grille, now I know!

Not sure that I would pull a caravan with a roadster though!

Neat stuff!
324dor

Post by 324dor »

Dave.

I don't know if Kevin Parks car had any history before he ran it. When Kevin used to come to Brisbane to race at the Ekka he always stayed with Bill Goode & Bill lived a couple of streets away from me at Mt.Gravatt. Kevins car was Holden grey powered. Another racer Brian Dillon lived right behind us & 2 doors down from us lived the Johnson Bros. who had a Vincent sidecar outfit.

Chappo.

I've replied to your P.M. How good would a Midget look behind a Rod? Speaking of which, we went to a Vintage speedway meet at Grafton recently & there was a Junior Speedcar there for sale. A mate was trying to talk me into it to tow behind the Sedan. The car is owned by Gary McClenahan who used to race against Kevin Parks & Brian Myers. Here is a pic . The price is $8k.

You're correct in saying that car 77 is the ex Herb Elliott car called Dopey.

Col.

Thanks for the history lesson re the parts used on the Sloper.

I'll post some more photos shortly.

Ken.
Last edited by 324dor on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
324dor

Post by 324dor »

Talking with Brian Myers brother yesterday & he told me that Brian had hired the caravan to take his new bride on their honeymoon.
In the background of the photo of the Junior speedcar that I posted earlier, you can see a Midget No.37. That car is the Etter Special. It is V8-60 powered & is believed to have been built in 1937 in Pittsburgh. Here is a pic of it. I have a pic of it from its racing days in Sydney so I'll try to find it.

Here are a couple more old Midgets.

In order they are Brian Davey, Bill Reynolds & Don Hunt.

Ken.

Last edited by 324dor on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
324dor

Post by 324dor »

I've found the photo of the V8-60 powered car " The Etter Special". It's in the bottom photo.

Here's a couple more older Midgets.The first is Eddie Darks Berco Holden, Then Ray Revells Offy. Don't know who owns No.20.

Ken.
Last edited by 324dor on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
324dor

Post by 324dor »

Here's a couple more of Brian Myers in action.. Firstly in his own car No.87 & then in No.77, the car referred to as DOPEY.

These pics are Brian in No.87 & then in No.97. Note the brake mechanism in the second pic, obviously not something reserved for Hot Rodding.

Here is a couple of old Stock cars.

Ken.
Last edited by 324dor on Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jww_289

Post by jww_289 »

Thanks for the pics Ken, they are great snapshots from our past.
!!