old pictures

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Gerry

Re: old pictures

Post by Gerry »

rog wrote:Interesting, lots of channelled cars! Gerry's gonna love these picks :D
You are right Rog. Good to see them again.
Cusworths channelled coupe and Costello's sedan were local cars and so were these
The 34 Coupe in the background is supposed to be my red coupe when either Roger Brockway or Peter Quaiffe or both owned it..........
Dragferret

Post by Dragferret »

Thanks for posting. I've got a couple of calendars featuring colour photos of Australian street rods. One is from '76 and the other from '78. I got them from my local service station but I don't know if other years were done. The photo of the Sedoupe confirms the photos were taken at the '73 Nationals.
HOT ROD FRED
Old Hand

Post by HOT ROD FRED »

Mr Model A wrote:
Bates wrote:Whos the hippy to the right :D
I thought it mighta been someone from Led Zep
Ian Gillan from Deep Purple :wink:
Dave
Old Hand

Post by Dave »

HOT ROD FRED wrote:Ian Gillan from Deep Purple :wink:
He does a bit, can't wait to hear him try and break into 'sweet child in time' next time I see him! How much does nick (Low'n'loud') look like his old man!
Dave Petrusma
rog
Old Hand

Post by rog »

Dave wrote:
HOT ROD FRED wrote:Ian Gillan from Deep Purple :wink:
He does a bit, can't wait to hear him try and break into 'sweet child in time' next time I see him! How much does nick (Low'n'loud') look like his old man!
:lol: :lol: :lol: was thinking yesterday that the apple didnt fall far from the tree
tub1935

Post by tub1935 »

talking to peter leech weekend before, last still has strange hat on head some things never change
mgyxjc

Post by mgyxjc »

Old Pictures.. aside from a channelled purple/pink roadster that an itinerant worker had, at the local fruit packing shed circa 1966, two cars that that 'fired me up' in my teens, up around Swan Hill, were Larry's A-bucket with its flathead, and the Kraehnert bros with their hand formed bucket, it's big Tank tail lights and big, for the day, FE donk.. managed to see plenty of pics of Larry's car over the year but never of the Kraehnert's so Thanks indeed to Ian Liddell, the John English Family Album and his son Richard for publishing these.. exactly as I remember the car, colour, headers etc.. hopefully you can see it at...https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater.. even if you have to copy and paste.. I do hope Ian, Richard don't mind but I'll copy one of the images here.. Image Must be something about Buckets and Green paint that does it for me.. painted my own teenage A-Bucket Green and decades later, it was the Utting & Lee Green T-bucket from S.A... "eater of Chevs" with it's Jaguar V12 that inspired me to work my own Jag V12 over.. and of course, the Pickmeup is green on green too.... the Utting & Lee T..Image
'36, or is it ?, Ford pickup ( one day..) an' a 'A' hangin' in the rafters ( or was.. the rope broke )
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

...good idea dredging up this old thread Wayne....cool! :lol:
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Here is one from Jan 74 . Sultans line up from the Southern States Rod Run to Swan Hill . Front vehicle here is our 35 Ford Coupe ,with Lyndon Piper's Chev sitting behind . Note the accumulation of dead locusts on the screen . These things were everywhere :( :( :( :( :( :( .
Clocked up a few miles within the first 3 weeks of registering that Coupe. Honeymoon trip Melb to Sydney and then back to go on that rod run in Northern Vic. Only issue was a busted front shocker bracket weld on the way to Sydney due to pot holes on the Hume near Tarcutta . :evil: :evil: :evil: Stayed the night at Gundagai to have the bracket welded up at a local Ford dealer workshop . The guy commented on the shit welding and some smart alec claimed " whoever did this would never get a job here" . Well it busted again and I borrowed some tools from my new brother in law in Sydney and removed both front shocks from the beam axle front end . On the way back I briefly dropped into that Ford dealer and commented on their "poor staff selection " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . Fixed it at home and never had another issue
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

...this Chevy?....you should have kept yours Frank!
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Oldcol wrote:...this Chevy?....you should have kept yours Frank!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . If I only saw that "For Sale" ad back in the 80's
35coupe

Post by 35coupe »

FRANK BASILE wrote:Image

Here is one from Jan 74 . Sultans line up from the Southern States Rod Run to Swan Hill .
G'Day Frank,

Anymore of this old Coupe?? :) :)
Brett Carroll
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

I heard Peter Leech is building a new 32 roadster.
Looking forward to seeing it.Hope it is red and I know it is
running a flathead.

Tassie Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

35coupe wrote:
FRANK BASILE wrote:Image

Here is one from Jan 74 . Sultans line up from the Southern States Rod Run to Swan Hill .
G'Day Frank,

Anymore of this old Coupe?? :) :)

Somewhere Brett is one with my dad when we slung in the 283 Chev . Another I found and plonked somewhere is one with my cat on the coupe roof .
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Here is my 32 Ford ,outside my folks place circa early 1972 . I was the Ray Charlton built "Yellow Fever" with October 65 issued plates . I got this roadster delivered on a tow truck as a swap for a 57 Customline purely by chance .
I was in my final years of RAAF service based at Laverton Vic. My days were off base stationed at the radio transmitting site in what was paddocks down off the Point Cook Road . Developing an interest in Hot Rodding I was scanning the adjacent farm land with binoculars at a line up of tin outside a farmhouse looking for a Model A roadster . An ex RAAF civilian contractor from an aero company Hawker Siddeley who happened to be on site asked what I was looking for . I told him ,he then stonkered me telling of a 32 Ford Hot Rod he had sitting up in Rochester at his dads garage that he lost interest in . He said the brakes were stuffed ,otherwise still registered . We got talking and a straight swap was arranged .It would have been Aug 1971 as I remember the rego due on the Customline was Nov and the Roadster was Oct . We paid each rego at the time and the rod was delivered to my parents place . Aside to the brakes ,The side steer 34 Box was somewhat ordinary with a bad sector shaft . I took the shaft to an engineering joint in Lt Lonsdale St Melb ,my spirits were lifted when I dropped it on the counter and an old guy in a grey dust coat recognized it for what it was and after looking it over told me it would end up good as new :D :D :D :D :D :D :D . The front springs were reverse eyed and sagged allowing the sump to ride on the steering tie rod . I removed the spring and had it re set .
The power plant was Y Block with Riley 1.5 ltr 4 speed ,that I upgraded to a stronger 2.5 litre after stripping teeth . Diff centre I swapped from the 3.9 to the 3.22 removed from my 57 Customline when swapped to manual from auto .This allowed some better use of the 1st Gear in the Riley box . Rileys were heavy with low geared drivetrains :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
The roadster was eventually sold off to finance the 35 Coupe . It underwent a re birth with new appearance and new plates issues in late 72/early 73 Currently as far as I heard it is in Gippsland in pieces . And when I last looked out of curiosity not long ago the plates were still current .