75-77 Narrandera Nats & other random pics

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Shabby T
Old Hand

Re: 75-77 Narrandera Nats & other random pics

Post by Shabby T »

"Old Yella" I believe, and was owned by Rodger Griss I think
Cheers,
Terry

That's going straight to the pool room!
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/tan60/images.jpg[/img]
tru34
Old Hand

Post by tru34 »

Fliptop ute wrote:
tru34 wrote:Think this was at the 75 Nationals. A VERY young Terry sitting on the running board.

Hi tru34. Is this the same car?
Fliptop.
I''m sure it is the same vehicle. We can't see the number plate on the one that Terry is sitting on unfortunately. This is the rod that started his love for 34's and the 'had to have one' mentality.
Cheers,
Tanya
Trailers should be behind hotrods, not under them.
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Col Manglesdorf's name was mentioned before by tru34 & in amongst the photo's we found a couple of pics of a car he had. We had gone to Albury one weekend in 84 to attend a Wedding, & the day after we were sightseeing around the town. We were in this park near the river & then this guy just cruised in his 33 Tudor so I snapped a couple of pics of it.
Cant beat a 33 or 34 in any style. Still have more pics to post but got a bit of download trouble at the moment.
Fliptop.
Old Flatheads don't die, they just get blown.
Shabby T
Old Hand

Post by Shabby T »

Fliptop ute wrote:Col Manglesdorf's name was mentioned before by tru34 & in amongst the photo's we found a couple of pics of a car he had. We had gone to Albury one weekend in 84 to attend a Wedding, & the day after we were sightseeing around the town. We were in this park near the river & then this guy just cruised in his 33 Tudor so I snapped a couple of pics of it.
Cant beat a 33 or 34 in any style. Still have more pics to post but got a bit of download trouble at the moment.
Fliptop.
My sentiments exactly, I think Colins Tudor had pale green early wires on it at one stage. I also think I have a pic somewhere.
Cheers,
Terry

That's going straight to the pool room!
[img]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/tan60/images.jpg[/img]
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Fliptop ute wrote:Image
Fliptop.
Even a Chev man like me would agree with that :wink: 8) 8)

Truly "timeless". Apart from the obvious age and surroundings, that picture could be of a 2010 rod. That car would fit in anywhere.

What do they say? "Cars done right..."
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

I think I do remember Colins Tudor having the early wire wheels on it at one stage & it does seem to have that "timeless" style about it. But thats the way a lot of the early body styles are when they are Rodded. A lot of the Rods that were around back in the 70s & 80s would fit right in with Rods that are around these days.
Heres a couple more pics that we found from the 77 Narrandera Nats.
34 Chev sedan in Griffith on the Sunday
Loved the early style of this Hiboy
A couple of Rods in the showgrounds on the Monday
Fliptop.
Cruizin TV

Post by Cruizin TV »

Fliptop ute wrote: Image
Neat 34 Coupe from WA early one morning, with Wayne "Skinny" Davis posing for the pic. Fliptop.
Both rods in this pic are part of the WA contingent which drove over for Narrandera.
34 Coupe is Neville Anderson's which is WA's longest continually owned and licenced rod which then would have been 318 Dodge powered and towed about a 26 foot caravan over with his wife Judy and 4 kids, 3 in the rumble and Jake the youngest in the front with Neville and Jude. Rumble seat had a little roadster type roof, I think I may still have a pic somewhere of the setup on crossing the big paddock. Neville still owns the 34 which is regularly driven, was over in Vic last year for the 34 weekend and pretty sure will be at Geelong for 2011 nationals, now runs a blown smallblock, from memory runs 11's and is still wooden bodied, did have a pretty tough twin tunnel rammed 351 Windsor in between for many years.

The gold 34 Chev sedan behind it is Brian French's shortly after completion which was later paint a dark red / maroon and again is still owned by Brian, taken off the road just over a year ago for a rebuild basically because it's worn out from several cross Australia journeys and pretty much everyday use for about 30 years.
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Hi Cruizin TV. I have been trying to reply but we have busted our downloads & they dont kick back in till late tomorrow or Monday. Catch you then. Fliptop.
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Post by Mr Model A »

Cruizin TV wrote: Both rods in this pic are part of the WA contingent which drove over for Narrandera.
34 Coupe is Neville Anderson's which is WA's longest continually owned and licenced rod which then would have been 318 Dodge powered and towed about a 26 foot caravan over with his wife Judy and 4 kids, 3 in the rumble and Jake the youngest in the front with Neville and Jude.

The gold 34 Chev sedan behind it is Brian French's shortly after completion which was later paint a dark red / maroon and again is still owned by Brian, taken off the road just over a year ago for a rebuild basically because it's worn out from several cross Australia journeys and pretty much everyday use for about 30 years.
Hi Murray
Yuo can't deny the enthusiasm of the W.A. rodders, especially back then, with the road.
That's dedication, and when you think about it there are a lot of blokes over there who have owned the same car for many years, something to do with the great weather maybe 8)
Cheers, Phil
never odd or even
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Hi Cruizin TV, "Murray" I always recognised that 34 Coupe as a WA Rod, but the fact that it travelled that far towing a 26foot caravan & Mum, Dad & 4 kids in a Coupe is quite a feat. Thats a dedicated Rodding family. The 318 Dodge motor would have handled it though. Would be interesting to see what that Coupe is like now. Quite amazed to hear that it still has a wood frame in it, must have been a fairly good car when it was first Rodded. I think the Chev sedan in that pic could be the same one I took a pic of at Griffith on the Sunday back then.
Anyway I only have two more pics of the 77 Narrandera Nats so here they are. I do have some other pics from other runs but I will have to sort out which ones to post.
An Essex coupe parked up the main street on the Monday.
34 Ford channeled roadster parked down a side street.
Fliptop.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

fliptop Neville Andersons coupe looks EXACTLY the same now except he doesn't run a bonnet, prefering to show off the polished blown hemi
Regards
Petrolhead
[b]Happy to be living past my "USE BY DATE" as in August 2007 they gave me 6-12 Months to live[/b]
Cruizin TV

Post by Cruizin TV »

Just spent the last hour going through some old hard drives trying to find the pics I know I have somewhere but unfortunately no luck.

As Clint says' aesthetically looks pretty much the same and yes still coachbuilt but does now have an internal roll cage to help stiffen it up. Nev once had the the unpleasant experience of blasting down the quarter stretched across holding the passenger door shut with his left hand as the door started to open on launch due to the flex with a wooden body on an unboxed chassis, but he does reassure me he won his way through to the next round where he cable tied the door shut around the windscreen post so he could concentrate on the pass and has done since.

Not wanting to contradict Clint re the Hemi but unless it's been changed recently Nev's 34 is one of the minority in WA that isn't a Hemi :lol: but blown small block chev.

Nev is probably one of the guys I most credit with me taking that next step to actually getting started in rodding, we go back over 35 years, him with a rod on the road, that 34 pictured as his everyday car and me as a high school student. He took the time to not only stop and talk to me but to come across, open it up, lift the hood and treat me as an enthusiast not just a pain in the arse inquisitive kid. Bit of a story involved but if you're ever talking to either Nev or myself we can fill in the gaps. About 25 years ago, when after a couple of Chevs I had my first Ford hot rod, a 34 moredor ready for the road Nev was one of the first to take it for a drive, only a few years back over a few ales he told me how much that meant to him but to me, his endorsement would be the greatest trophy I or that car would ever achieve.

Yea Frenchy's a top bloke too but I've only known him about 30 years, he helped out on one of the Chevs.

Many WA guys on here can also attest to the inspiration these guys and many others have been, many of whom were at these early nationals and did the big paddock when the centre was dirt and full of bulldust, nowadays you just have to listen to the bullshit :wink: .
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

petrolhead wrote:fliptop Neville Andersons coupe looks EXACTLY the same now except he doesn't run a bonnet, prefering to show off the polished blown hemi
Regards
Petrolhead
Hi Clint. I was wondering if you knew bout Neville's coupe being from over WA way. I may have seen a recent pic of it somewhere but I cant remember where.
Fliptop. BTW, check your PMs.
petrolhead

Post by petrolhead »

Murray, yep my bad. was looking at pic's after the post. In the 70's( when I was in Primary school) On a Saturday Morning at home I hear the sweet V8 rumble & run outside to see Nev's Rod, he had come to borrow their caravan,Nev' was happy to show off his pride & joy & chat to a kid, that just blew me away, others should take his lead & do the same
Regards
Petrolhead
[b]Happy to be living past my "USE BY DATE" as in August 2007 they gave me 6-12 Months to live[/b]
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Cruizin TV wrote:As Clint says' aesthetically looks pretty much the same and yes still coachbuilt but does now have an internal roll cage to help stiffen it up. Nev once had the the unpleasant experience of blasting down the quarter stretched across holding the passenger door shut with his left hand as the door started to open on launch due to the flex with a wooden body on an unboxed chassis, but he does reassure me he won his way through to the next round where he cable tied the door shut around the windscreen post so he could concentrate on the pass and has done since. :wink: .
Hi Murray. Just what you are describing there in that paragraph, meaning the body flex etc. reminds me of an article I read in an American magazine where the Guy was explaining how his 33 Coupe would perform on the Drag strip. He said how it had a reverse lock out switch to help it launch & when the switch was released on take off, it was surprising how much the body flexed, yet when it was parked back in the pits it had'nt effected it at all, everything still lined up. Just goes to show what these early Ford bodie's will stand up to.
Fliptop.