75-77 Narrandera Nats & other random pics

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Fliptop ute

Re: 75-77 Narrandera Nats & other random pics

Post by Fliptop ute »

Hi Everyone. When I originally started this thread I added the bit, & other random pics cause I had other random pics. Have been meaning to post them for a while but have been busy with other stuff so I had better post the pics. These pics were taken at the Vic State Rod Run 1977 hosted by Desert city Rodders & it must have been before Naranndera 77 cause I remember Malcomb Mountjoy was there & he did'nt have the raffle T Bucket then. Our club Traction R & C Club was up & running by then & it was before most of us had our P plates but we all managed to get rides to Mildura somehow. Sorry that the pics arn't top quality but our cameras back then were'nt as good as what we got now.
34 Ford Sedan. Loved 34s back then too.
Neil Stamps A Roadster from Bendigo with other some Rods.
Peter swifts T Bucket. Got an issue of Modern Motor from early 60s with a write up on this car.
Rod Taylor's 38 Coupe from Stawell. Had GT Falcon running gear, Metalic brown paint, neat car.
34 Ford Tudor with tru spokes.
Rear view of 33 Ford Roadster. Think it was owned by Ian Harris?
Back later with other pics. Fliptop.
Old Flatheads don't die, they just get blown.
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Back again with the other 77 Vic State Rod run pics
Keith Stamps 34 Ford Roadster.
34 Plymouth Fordor Sedan. Had a slant six Valiant motor under the bonnet. 36 Dodge Sedan on the right was owned by Kelly Boyles Brother. Had a Holden red 6 in it & auto. Me & Chaplin Bacca scored a ride in it at one stage. Also got a ride in Robert Wilson's 35 Ford Sedan that was two tone blue, Small block Chevy. I have a pic of that somewhere that must have been taken at the same run.
Dodge V8 that was in Peter Swift's T Bucket.
38 Coupe that was cruisin in main st of Mildura.
36 Ford Tourer that was owned by the late Bill Musset at the time.
A roadster & 37 Ford Ute in town.
This was the other pic I was refering to of Robert Wilson's neat 35 Ford Sedan with The late Bill Musset's Tourer parked next to it.
Photo by Chaplin Bacca. Fliptop.
Bacca

Post by Bacca »

That was a fun weekend back in 77, had blown up me car & as we had relatives in the area parents took us & we hitched rides in rods to get around, fond memory's
1930 Chev Tourer & my others here
http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34879&start=0
Bodgy Bros. If we can't fix it no one else will once we have a go!
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Chaplain Bacca wrote:That was a fun weekend back in 77, had blown up me car & as we had relatives in the area parents took us & we hitched rides in rods to get around, fond memory's
Hi Steve. We always seemed to have fun times when got around as a club back then, even if we did'nt have our own cars to get around in, but this is how I remember that it was the actual Vic State Rod run back in 77.
I got that stick on badge that very weekend from the Desert City Rodders & attached it to the dash in my 38 Coupe before it was even completed & registered & its still there now 33 years later.
Fliptop.
jyd1953

Post by jyd1953 »

I always wanted to know about that 28 roadster.
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

jyd1953 wrote:I always wanted to know about that 28 roadster.
Hi jyd1953. Do you mean one of the A roadsters in the recent pics?
Fliptop.
Mr Model A
Old Hand

Post by Mr Model A »

jyd1953 wrote:I always wanted to know about that 28 roadster.
if you're talking about Neil Stamps A roadster then you could ring him, I think he still advertises his coloured seat belts in the magazines.
I used his belts in my r.p.u. and he's a real friendly bloke who doesn't mind a chat.
cheers, Phil
never odd or even
jyd1953

Post by jyd1953 »

Fliptop.
Sorry, I hit the submit button by mistake.
I'm sure the roadster in front of the 37 ute is my old one.
The 37 ute still belongs still belongs to Des of Katunga.
Where was the photo taken and when ?
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

jyd1953 wrote:Fliptop.
Actually I have been wondering if that photo was taken that same weekend, but I'm pretty sure it was. Looks like it was taken in the main st. of Mildura near the top end of town, not far from where I took the pic of Bill Mussets Tourer but on other side of the road. Did you attend that run back in 77? If you have any pics of when you owned the Roadster, post them up & we can compare them, would be interesting to see pics of a past car of yours anyway.
Fliptop.
Deano55

Post by Deano55 »

Fliptop ute wrote:
Actually I have been wondering if that photo was taken that same weekend, but I'm pretty sure it was. Looks like it was taken in the main st. of Mildura near the top end of town, not far from where I took the pic of Bill Mussets Tourer but on other side of the road. Did you attend that run back in 77? If you have any pics of when you owned the Roadster, post them up & we can compare them, would be interesting to see pics of a past car of yours anyway.
Fliptop.

Spot on Fliptop thats the intersection of 8th and deakin
Whats better, 1/8th or 1/4 mile ????
I prefer 1/8th............the last half is for testing of safety equipment
Bacca

Post by Bacca »

Fliptop ute wrote:
Chaplain Bacca wrote:That was a fun weekend back in 77, had blown up me car & as we had relatives in the area parents took us & we hitched rides in rods to get around, fond memory's
Hi Steve. We always seemed to have fun times when got around as a club back then, even if we did'nt have our own cars to get around in, but this is how I remember that it was the actual Vic State Rod run back in 77.
Fliptop.
1930 Chev Tourer & my others here
http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34879&start=0
Bodgy Bros. If we can't fix it no one else will once we have a go!
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Hi Steve. That pic was when we were hitchin a ride in Kelly Boyle's brothers Dodge sedan. (What was his name?) Holden red motor seemed to move it along pretty well. We were heading out to one of the wineries I think. Note the old style rego label.
Fliptop ute wrote:
Fliptop.
Hey jyd1953, Did you have any pics of the A Roadster when you owned it? We'd love to see them if you have.
Fliptop.
Rok 51

Post by Rok 51 »

A little while back you mentioned the Kerang Drags. Well, I have finally got around to posting some pics.
I thought I would post them here. My camera work wasn't the best in those days. I remember it was a stinking hot day and no shade anywhere on the side of the road (Drag Strip), just out of Kerang. It was late 1974 around Oct. Nov.

Zac56 might be able to help us with the morris minor cars. Zac had one around that time. So did Rodger McKellar.
The black panel van belonged to Brian Thompson.
The orange Zephyr was Rod Hatfield's, but it might have been sold to Ron Hudson around then.
The white Zephyr Belonged to Ken Spence.
The pink HQ was brand new then.

Rocky.
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Good to see the Kerang Drag pics Rocky. As I mentioned in the Joe Pirotta thread, I only ever got to go to the Kerang Drags once in about 76 but did'nt get to stay for as long as I wanted to. Recognised Rod Hadfields car straight away in your pics. I remember the Kerang Drag Club hosted a car show in 1975 & Rods Zephyer was there. Can't seem to remember what other cars were there so they must have been later models, :? would have remembered if they had been earlier cars or Hot Rods, 8) but Rods Zephyer seemed to be the main attraction.
Was'nt a wide road they used for the drags, but they seem to get by with it, real country racing with just the nearby paddock for the pits. Did Kenny Spense & Rod Hadfield ever line up together? Good to see the HK Monaro & the pink HQ, wonder where that is these days.
Fliptop.
gd533

Post by gd533 »

Hi Guys I sold the bucket to Robert Trimbole JNR At the time he was working at Casula Cellars which his dad owned (Robert senior) Cheers Geoff Davis