75-77 Narrandera Nats & other random pics

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Fliptop ute

Re: 75-77 Narrandera Nats & other random pics

Post by Fliptop ute »

Hi Everyone. I started to go through some of my Aust. Hot Rod magazines from the 70s the other night, & one of the first issues I picked up had a write up in it about the 75 Narrandera Nats. Used to always buy Aust. Hot Rod back then. When I first started to buy it was only 30cents a copy, ended up with every copy from part way through 1972 till when it stopped being published bout 1980. Anyway, I just thought I would post up a couple of things of interest from the 75 Nats write up that would be of interest to you Guys & Girls.
"Tweety Pie" competing in the Go Whoa.
And Gus Gursanky's 36 Coupe that I mentioned about earlier in this thread, I had forgotten that it had been at the 75 Nats as well, was also a strong performer in the Go Whoa.
And the Major Awards list, interesting to look back on. I remember that year just before the Go Whoa was run, Rod Hadfield gave a demo run in his Mk 2 Zephyr, using the chute to slow down, was a tough car. Alby Wheeler, winner of the Go Whoa, I've been trying to remember what car he had. Anybody got a pic of it, or a description to jog my memory. And the Rodder's Choice car of Warren Wilkie, was one of the neatest looking A Roadtsers that you are ever likly to see, has any one got a pic of that car to post, would be good to see. Actually, its got it listed there as a 28 model but I'm pretty sure it was an improved A. Interesting to look back on.
Fliptop.
Old Flatheads don't die, they just get blown.
snooze

Post by snooze »

Ask and you will receive.
Alby Wheeler's T Bucket

Snooze
http://aussierodding.altervista.org/INDEX.html
http://headlampsbybill.150m.com/
http://hotrodindex.atwebpages.com/
http://ozcoetrucks.netau.net/Index.a.html
http://willysbill.imgur.com
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Hi snooze. Thanks for the pic of Alby Wheeler's T. Is that the way it was back in 75, & am I right in saying thats a pontiac mill?
Anyway, petrolhead was kind enough to email me some pics that he had from the 77 Nats, & asked if I could post them up, so heres a few of them to start with. If I recognize any of the cars I will comment, other than that just enjoy the pics.
Larry O'Tooles A Tudor.
Neat T model Pickup.
A Model Bucket. I remember this car being Flathead powered, but I think this is when it had been updated to a Chev V8.
Neat Improved A Tourer. I think this was a Custom Rodder cover car back around that time.
As I've said before, I love a 34 in any style. Back with more later, Fliptop
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Back with some more pics that petrolhead had from the 77 Nats.
Pretty sure that this was a Bendigo car as widened rear guards stand out. Used to see this car parked near Motion Performance speed shop in Bendigo sometimes when I went to Tech College nearby.
ASRF Raffle car for the 77 Nats. Malcomb Mountjoy was the lucky winner of this car & on the night he won it he was stoked. Watched him proudly take it for a test run up the main street on the Monday morning. Me & the Boys from Traction R & C Club knew him quite well back then & he always used to attend the Boort Rod runs in it. Always kept it in the same condition you see it in here & I think he has still got it.
Graham Webb's 34 coupe.
The Late Tom Bartlett's Graffiti Coupe. Wonder if thats Rod's elbow out the window.
Neat Improved A Tourer again. Resto Rod.
Thats all of the pics that petrolhead sent, hope I did'nt miss any.
Fliptop.
tru34
Old Hand

Post by tru34 »

Mr Model A wrote:
tru34 wrote:Our coupe was at the 75 & 77 nationals, haven't seen it pop up in a pic yet but I'm looking :shock: :shock: :shock:
what colour was it Tanya, I assume you didn't own it then, I have 2 pix of 34 coupes from the 77 Nats one was Jim Norquays green reg JN-315 and a black one KO-101
Phil
Phil it was burgundy with black guards. Col Manglesdorf owned it at the time of both 73 & 75 Nats. Terry owned it in 77, but didn't take it to the Nationals. Next Nationals it went to was then in 2005 at Gold Coast.
Cheers,
Tanya
Trailers should be behind hotrods, not under them.
angliadon
Old Hand

Post by angliadon »

The vans were from Bridge City Truckers from Sydney,Steve Lincon`s red Transit and John Van Kempen`s Bedford.
Angliadon Member OZERODDERS President Northern District Rod & Custom Brisbane. QLD ASRF State Secretary.
TJ

Post by TJ »

my old man now owns this here is a coupla pics of it now

TJ

http://www.kikrshotrods.piczo.com
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Neat lookin Pickup TJ. Good to see its still around.
My Wife was going through some more of our old photo's again this morning & she found more pics that I had forgotten I had from the 77 Nats. I will have to sort them out before I can post them here, but heres a couple to start with that are relevant to what happened back then. This is the morning after Malcomb Mountjoy won the T Bucket raffle car & we were all just hangin around in the showgrounds drooling over it. It was parked just near where Malcomb was camping. The guy to the left of the first pic is Chaplin Bacca when he was only bout 18.
We even found photo's that I had taken at the 79 Albury Nats, but they are a bit blury & I am wondering if they can have the contrast & brightness improved so they are better quality.
Fliptop.
Last edited by Fliptop ute on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fordi6

Post by Fordi6 »

Fliptop ute wrote: Image
We even found photo's that I had taken at the 79 Albury Nats, but they are a bit blury & I am wondering if they can have the contrast & brightness improved so they are better quality.
Fliptop.

You can to an extent,,, all depends how bad the pic is,, If it's badly out of focus not much hope
Can't be too old, The Missus keeps telling me to "grow up" !!!!
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Hi Fordi6. I was actually quite happy with that pic but you still managed to improve it. Thanks for that. But here is an example of what the Albury ones are like.
There must have been something wrong with my camera at the 79 Albury Nats as this is what most of them are like. This was a neat 35 Ford pickup with a Blown Chevy competing in the Go Whoa.
Fliptop.
Bacca

Post by Bacca »

Fliptop ute wrote:Neat lookin Pickup TJ. Good to see its still around.
My Wife was going through some more of our old photo's again this morning & she found more pics that I had forgotten I had from the 77 Nats. I will have to sort them out before I can post them here, but heres a couple to start with that are relevant to what happened back then. This is the morning after Malcomb Mountjoy won the T Bucket raffle car & we were all just hangin around in the showgrounds drooling over it. It was parked just near where Malcomb was camping. The guy to the left of the first pic is Chaplin Bacca when he was only bout 18.
Fliptop.
Back in 77

3 or 4 years back & looking as good as it did in 77
1930 Chev Tourer & my others here
http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34879&start=0
Bodgy Bros. If we can't fix it no one else will once we have a go!
rainman

Post by rainman »

AAH! Just sit and enjoy that glorious y block engine, it just makes my day!! :)
In the event you think you know everything, just listen to the guy next to you who knows more.
tru34
Old Hand

Post by tru34 »

Think this was at the 75 Nationals. A VERY young Terry sitting on the running board.

Cheers,
Tanya
Trailers should be behind hotrods, not under them.
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

Chaplain Bacca wrote: Image
Hi Steve. I thought I did'nt have any pics from the 77 Nats with you in them but there you are, even though we cant see your face, could'nt take your eyes off it could you. And the other two pics you posted show its just as good now, if not better.
I was thinking about the pic I posted previously, with the 35 Ford pickup in it, that was'nt Albury 79, that was Mildua 81. My memory is playing tricks on me.
Fliptop.
Fliptop ute

Post by Fliptop ute »

tru34 wrote:Think this was at the 75 Nationals. A VERY young Terry sitting on the running board.

Hi tru34. Is this the same car?
Fliptop.