1977 Street Rod Nationals

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Extreme E

Re: 1977 Street Rod Nationals

Post by Extreme E »

Thanks for the pix.
It was my first Nats too.
I went over from Perth as a passenger in Frank Buise's (dec) burgundy 33 roadster together with Art Crocker's (dec) purple 32 highboy
and Bob Dillon's 40 "Coyote" van.
Frank's 33 and Bob's van are pictured together amongst the photos.
Frank and I travelled to Sydney, then Canberra and to Melb via the unsealed Monaro highway to Orbost, before heading home.

While heading to higher altitudes and getting very cold without side curtains, near Lake Jindabine, we asked at a roadhouse,
"how far until snow"................"about 3 weeks!" was the reply. (bloody tourists!)

Great days.

EE.
spoggie

Post by spoggie »

Robtus- Re. your big trip, I remember seeing your Olds heading east as we headed west on North East Road at Modbury (Adelaide) on a fine Saturday or Sunday arvo. This young punk was stoked to see it- I immeadiately recognised it from Eddie Ford's full colour feature- it looked state of the art, backlit in that Walnut glow-y colour, rollin' low on the Dragways. I remember it now, plain as day.

Mudgy- I like those old multi wire telegeaph poles. I'd like a yard of them, just to look at. I often put 'em in my pictures.
robtus

Post by robtus »

spoggie wrote:Robtus- Re. your big trip, I remember seeing your Olds heading east as we headed west on North East Road at Modbury (Adelaide) on a fine Saturday or Sunday arvo. This young punk was stoked to see it- I immeadiately recognised it from Eddie Ford's full colour feature- it looked state of the art, backlit in that Walnut glow-y colour, rollin' low on the Dragways. I remember it now, plain as day.

Mudgy- I like those old multi wire telegeaph poles. I'd like a yard of them, just to look at. I often put 'em in my pictures.
Thanks Spoggie, yes, it was a fun time in my life, and a fun car to drive, it made 375 HP which by todays standards is not a lot but made towing a breeze at 11mpg !! but fuel was only 13c litre.

I went to a few SA rodders events while I was there, nice people made us really welcome.

I recall towing the van through NSW and stopped at the lights near a couple of rev heads. I hooked up the trailer brakes on the caravan and sat at the red light with the back tyres burning until it turned green and then let off the brakes,,, fun but I would get arrested today and the car would be crushed,, pity !!

I looked at buying it back but it is a full rebuild and I would rather just remember how it was.

Yes, love those telegraph wires, I am heading to Lake Gairdner this year so am sure there will be some out there along the way to photograph.
Cheers
Rob
I never make the same mistake twice, I do it 5 or 6 times just to be sure !!!

Making progress, https://www.muston.com/public_html/34%2 ... _Limo.html