1977 Street Rod Nationals

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Hotrodbilll1961

Re: 1977 Street Rod Nationals

Post by Hotrodbilll1961 »

Hi Guys

Relatively new member here, have posted a couple of times,
Had a bit of spare time and was looking at these old pictures

This was about the time i joined Hot Rodding
What i recognised out of the pictures
Bob Bowmans Pepermint Pirate - Still owned by him and dont think he will ever part with it :D
This was the first Nationals for the just completed Green A Tudor with Black Guards and wires, Then owned by John Phillpot
I bought this car from its 2nd owner, Still the same as it looked then. Changed it to green Guards and 5 spoke wheels, also sits lower now, still owned by one of the other members in my club. Still have the entrants dash plarque.
The pink 34 Coupe with 32 grille was another car owned by a member from my club
The 32 Sport coupe also looks like one owned by a previous club member but may not have been owned by him at that time

Good to see some history

Bill
ken1939

Post by ken1939 »

That is some classic stuff. Funny, alot of those cars would look perfect today. They skipped right over the pastel colors of the 80s. The hair cuts and the clothing is another matter :D Really cool history!
robtus

Post by robtus »

A couple of years ago I re-discovered my 37 Olds Sloper (shown in the go-whoa near the bottom of page one here). It still has the 396 big block Chev and the remains of the paint and some of the original trim, but a lot has been changed. It is "under construction" again but I doubt it will see the road.

Here is a photo, and there are few more on my website here http://www.muston.com/public_html/37_Olds.html
I thought about buying it back but I really don't need another project !! It was a fun car to drive and I drove it daily for a few years. Power steer, air-cond and a375 HP big block with TH400. In 78 my (then) wife and I with two small kids towed a 22 ft caravan from Shepparton to Adelaide, then to Brisbane, then up past Cairns to Cape Tribulation, return via the coast in 9 months. On that trip I found the one-owner 32 Roadster that I later sold to Rod Hadfield. When I got home with the caravan after 9 months I took a trailer and headed back to Charters Towers with Ian Eliason to collect the 32, about 4500 klm round trip at 13 MPG !!

I never make the same mistake twice, I do it 5 or 6 times just to be sure !!!

Making progress, https://www.muston.com/public_html/34%2 ... _Limo.html
robtus

Re:

Post by robtus »

Watching that DVD reminded me of those stupid yellow "silent cops" that were placed in the middle of intersections in NSW at that time. I recall Rodney Bartlett driving the copy of the yellow American Graffiti 32 Coupe and hitting one dead centre with the beam axle in a Narandera backstreet. Bent it seriously but they managed to pull it straight so he could keep enjoying the Nats. Not sure what year.

We took a real long Super 8 movie at the Albury Nats, wondered why then realised there was no film in the camera !!!

I still have all my t-shirts 73 through 87.
chev32 wrote:HI here is a clip of a dvd i put together of the 77nats

Image[/url]

Mudgy
Old Hand

Post by Mudgy »

The shadow of that multi-wired power pole on the road makes me remember about a caravan trip to Wilcannia (around that time) with my dad . Don't see those around any more..

Last work trip to Griffith I found a few of the old insulators around West Wyalong. Busted a few off and gave 'em to Dad. He was stoked

Thanks for posting, I was only a lil' tacker in '77, but I already knew Hot Rods were cool as - even then!
Good Judgement comes from experience....experience comes from bad judgement.
blowncaddy

Re:

Post by blowncaddy »

WillyFast wrote:yep to many people r to scared to get out and get there cars dusty u would,nt c to many big dollar cars out there :roll: lets get back to the good old days were runs were fun with your car doing driving skills i think we r going soft all alot wont to do is park there car and talk shit all day bendigo tryed to put on such a event and didnt get the support those that went had a ball i think there r to many static shows we r getting like the u.s.a :roll:
It's just like you said , lets drive our cars at the events not just park then like a pack of old fairies,
But most hot Rodders seem scared to do the events today as may be there rods are all show no go or is that the drivers are a bit past it :D :D
324dor

Post by 324dor »

Some of my photos from 77. I've only just recently scanned my slides.
324dor

Post by 324dor »

Some more.

mick

Post by mick »

324dor wrote:20Runs/burgundy35sedan_zpse1542256.jpg.html]Image[/url]
Was a good Nationals, and being the first one I ever went to, it was the one that put the icing on the cake in making me a life long rodder. Rapt with this pic, the green 47 sedan in the background to the right was my fathers car. Can still remember the old man having to change the water pump in the caravan park and doing a windscreen on the way home, fortunately was the left side, so he could still see out of the unbroken right side. 8) 8) :D :D
If you see it on a trailer dial 000 its probably stolen.
tub1935

Post by tub1935 »

great pics ,life was easier then and so was hot rodding
robtus

Post by robtus »

Yeh but I am sure cars are much better, safer, and much more reliable now. I know of a Shot-Rod that went to the 77 Nats with a steering pitman arm made of two parts bolted together in the centre to make it longer !! Only had 2 bolts, 3/8 in, drilled through so that half the metal was missing..Scary stuff (no, not my car )) :D

tub1935

Post by tub1935 »

yes robtus I fully agree re safety 100% mind you, you talk about pitman arms bolted together have a look at a 47 chev one next time you see one
324dor

Post by 324dor »

More photos.
Ken.
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Image[/url]

Left rear of frame, Chris Cook's severely channelled Y block powered '34 Dodge 3 window coupe with VW front end. Originally built by Frak Krapp in the late '60s superbly detailed and finished.

The brown '35 Sedan was Graham Hooper's which the weekend before had served official duty at my wedding. Yup, honeymoon at the Street Rod Nat's! :D
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
Chris tassie devil

Post by Chris tassie devil »

Thanks for posting the '77 Nats picks.
I was pleased to see some from Tassie including Don Langdon's red '35 Tourer and my '37 green sedan behind 'advertising' Tassie rodding.
Chris