A.I.R Adelaide 1970's nostalgia pics

Posts relating to early (Pre 1985) Hotrodding History in Australia, including Hotrod and Custom Shows plus early Drag Racing, Speedway, Hillclimbs etc.
Girl Torque

Post by Girl Torque »

yeah I'm proud of my Dad :)
54_coupe_ute

Post by 54_coupe_ute »

everyone remembers the top runners but i would give my righty to have even a 6 cly rail. ..BUT gezz BOUNTY HUNTERS COOL
fredeuce

air

Post by fredeuce »

Some more this time from the May 1972 meeting.

fredeuce
fredeuce

AIR

Post by fredeuce »

This was spotted at a Round of the Touring Cars at AIR in June 1973. Was owned by Greg Ockenden at the time.
fredeuce
54_coupe_ute

Post by 54_coupe_ute »

Fred i remember all those cars . i have the the pic of the moroon 36 but the one thats always stuck in my head was Brian gursensky's 36 coupe . check out my avatar and the 36 coupe . I COULD MAKE THAT OUT OF A INTER COUPE UTE. :o :shock: :D the green ford coupe Warren Young

fredeuce

AIR

Post by fredeuce »

Some more from around Oct/Nov1975

fredeuce
Eeyore

Post by Eeyore »

Wow what else can you say... some incredible photos in there. I wonder how many have those altereds have survived?

I particularly like the shot of Ben Gatt's Funny Car... never seen the damage before, almost looks like it could have been repaired. I thought the car was totally burnt? It must have been another incident. What ever happened to the chassis?

Kurt - 1971 Mazda 1300 Estate Deluxe ~ 1973 Mazda 1300 Wagon ~ 1979 Mazda RX7
Retro Boy

Post by Retro Boy »

I remember one time we were at the top end as Jim Walton in "Hard Goer" come through the lights under full power with 3 wheels clearly off the deck! Also Cliff Kiss in that "Coutts T" - was it the '73 or '74 Nationals at AIR? I think it had an auto tranny so every time he hit throttle it just stood up on the back wheels. The picture of the front engine car the Roly Leahy had while not a very clear could have been a car I later ran. I'm only going buy the roll cage and that Roly was a past owner of a car I later owned. I wonder if the skinny kid in a purple shirt by the Proud Australian is me?? It could be, I dunno?
Cheers
Tony
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

Girl Torque wrote:ok not sure of time lines, will have to ask but here's the pics anyway - all Russell Parker (Dad)
These pics look like the early days of drag racing in SA at Brooksfield. Mid to late sixties period would be my guess.
fredeuce
THOMMO

Post by THOMMO »

fredeuce wrote:
Girl Torque wrote:ok not sure of time lines, will have to ask but here's the pics anyway - all Russell Parker (Dad)
These pics look like the early days of drag racing in SA at Brooksfield. Mid to late sixties period would be my guess.
Gday Fred
The newspaper article is dated sept 4 1978
several years into AIR's life.
Girl Torque wrote:yeah I'm proud of my Dad :)
Your sure do have a dad to be proud of Carly
He's among the who's who of SA legends :wink:
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

THOMMO wrote:
fredeuce wrote:
Gday Fred
Thommo just to clarify, my response is to the pics posted by Girl Torque on P2 of this thread. Those pics show an old Flathead powered rail.Definitely not AIR. A different car to the one referred to in the newspaper clipping on P3.
Cheers
fredeuce
THOMMO

Post by THOMMO »

Kieth Burgin Photos.

THOMMO

Post by THOMMO »

fredeuce wrote:
THOMMO wrote:
fredeuce wrote: These pics look like the early days of drag racing in SA at Brooksfield. Mid to late sixties period would be my guess.
Gday Fred
Thommo just to clarify, my response is to the pics posted by Girl Torque on P2 of this thread. Those pics show an old Flathead powered rail.Definitely not AIR. A different car to the one referred to in the newspaper clipping on P3.
Cheers
My Apologies Fred :wink:
Girl Torque

Post by Girl Torque »

just to clarify - the pics I've posted are probably from across a couple of decades. Dad started mucking around in the 60's and sold the rail off in early 80s (horrible day - still remember it and I was a youngin).
Early shots would be Brooksfield and other areas they could use at the time.
Retro Boy

Post by Retro Boy »

Thommo,- do you have all of KB's pics?
Cheers
Tony