Hotrod and custom clubs. Past, present and future.

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
Rok 51

Post by Rok 51 »

Yeah....Glen Watts originally built the Dodge, here in Bendigo.

It has been owned by Slugger down Baccus Marsh way for many years now.

Rocky.
zacs56

Post by zacs56 »

Chaplain Bacca wrote:Found some more but will put the rest up in rods from the past
The Boort members but had other members up to 100k away.
Me on left, Wane Keeble, Des Slatter & Mark Allen in front of Dodge
The white chev 34 with brown guards was built by Norm Perrow from Bendigo , he sold it to me .
As i was driving to work early one saturday morning to do overtime , i was rounding a bend when hit on the left hand rear guard , and the poor old chev fell over , YES IT ROLLED .
( It was a yank school teacher out here on some exchange thing .) And i didn't get a cent out of her .
Bacca

Post by Bacca »

Chaplain Bacca wrote:Traction Rod & Custom Club first rod display, we invited some rodders from Bendigo. We only had 1 rod on the road then.
The white Chev sedan got wiped out from memory by a driver failing to give way.
Now I have heard the right story :D
1930 Chev Tourer & my others here
http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34879&start=0
Bodgy Bros. If we can't fix it no one else will once we have a go!
blacky

Post by blacky »

Dragferret wrote: In the '80s I was invited to join a club closer to home. I think they disbanded around '85.
This jacket still fits me and I still wear it occasionally.
I'll be buggered - I've got one of those jackets ! I was a member of that club , and I still see a few of the old club members when I visit sydney, it was a fellow club member and I that did the around Oz trip that landed me in W.A. back in 1988.
Member of Cranksters Rod and Kustom Club.
I dont care what the question is , the answer is more power !
Cranky31

Post by Cranky31 »

I was a member of the Pirates Hotrod Club W.A
club disbanded around 91. Good Times. Still looking to join another after i sign up with OZE Rodders.

Pirates Members.
Wayne O'Grady, 39 Chev? Believed to be in Melbourn
Les Moran, T Coupe, just finished new 32 Roadster
Denis Lister, 39 Chev Sloper, car sold, but still looks the same today
Graham King, T Bucket, Unknown
Graham Bell, 32 Chev Rodster, Unknown
Cranky 31, 34 Dodge Pick-Up, :roll:

There were more, but thats all my brain can exhale............... :cry:
"Living life, like i only have One"
Bacca

Post by Bacca »

From 1966 Hot Rod mag

smee

hotrod and custom clubs

Post by smee »

My old club jacket from mid 60'sImage
pickmeup

Post by pickmeup »

I got into cars late, like at fourteen after seeing a magazine cover at the newsagents,must of been a switch cause I had been looking over a fence in Maylands here in WA for years at hot rods which were cool but didnt light my fire other than looking cool.(later found out it was West Coast street rod club rooms)
A short stint in the army saw me back home and hopelessly in love with vanning. Bought 2 thames vans before becoming a founding member of "Highrollers Van club"served in a few board positions while progressing through a number of Bedford show vans then to the Wanderers van club. Joined Pirates Rod Club(Wayne Grady,Les Moran, Phil Pavicich) but they folded not long after(still owe me 2 shirts ha ha).
Met Alan Barton and he talked me into starting a rod.
Went to a few West Coast meetings but didnt feel comfortable there.
Joined Rebels car Club,but just a group of guys who were not into doing things so I moved on to Conrodders Street Rod Club where I was a member for 6 years.
A couple trips to the states made me a lot of mates in the pickup world and am now an honoury member of Silverton Flywheels in Oregon and Currant member of Pickups Limited Southern Calif.
My own pickup club here in Perth is retired hurt at the moment,"Westside Pickups" but once I get over my illness's and get back to fulltime work I will get it up and going!
Just my 2c worth!
Pickups are da bomb!
"CAB OVERS haul BABY!"
Panel Trucks are perfect!
"Do what you love, love what you do...and remember that luck has the smell of perspiration! "-Charlie Hutton
customjay

Road Stars Hot rod Club

Post by customjay »

A couple of years ago we held a reunion at Bowdens old touring car collection at Budrim for the former members of the Road Stars Hot Rod Club. They were very active in the S.E.Queensland area from the mid 60's to the early 70's.

Roadstars in the 60's

Roadstars in 2008

Ex Murray Bros Essex, Ex Rod Foote 32 roadster and ex John Anderson 32 hiboy.

Rod Foote and David Bowden

Daid Bowden, Clint Rose and Rod Foote

Phase 1,2,3&4.

Dan Bowden in usual pose

Beechy Monaro

I would like a couple of these in the garage.
Fliptop ute

Re:

Post by Fliptop ute »

Chaplain Bacca wrote:Back at High School in Boort 3 of us found we were all into rods, Mark Allen(34 Dodge roadster 351), Des Slatter (38 Ford coupe with later SV) & myself. This grew into Traction Rod & Custom Club being formed (I was first Sectary but can't spell) before most of us had licences tho Mark's brother Dave was the only 1 of us with a rod on the road, a 46 Mirc ute with a Y block, our only rod at the 77 Nats but was good for a heap of us to ride in the back.
Some of you will remember the runs Fun in the sun runs we ran, first run was a display of half a dozen rods from Bendigo in about 75. I moved to Mt Gambier in 79 but returned for many of the runs & eventually others from the small town left too resulting in the club folding in the late 80's. Unfortunately I no longer have my club T or Jacket as me wife got rid of a heap of old cloths including these :cry: Will find & scan some of my slides when I have more time, maybe do it at work when quiret & post to pics of past thread. I looked through the pics on the laptop at work & found a few old pic not put on the web before so here are 2 Boort run pics from 80's
Chaplain Bacca wrote:Found some more but will put the rest up in rods from the past
The Boort members but had other members up to 100k away.
Me on left, Wane Keeble, Des Slatter & Mark Allen in front of Dodge
Hi Everyone. Just thought I would do a bit of a write up on Traction Rod & Custom Club as me & my wife found some photos a couple of weeks ago that I had'nt seen for ages that relate to this photo of Chaplin Bacca's, of some of the members when we had our first Rod display. The Club was started sometime in 1976 & the first meeting was held in my Mum & Dads place. Mark Allen, Steve Dyer(Chaplin Bacca), Wayne Keeble & I think Wayne Davis just rocked up to my place one night & said we're startin the Club, the name Traction was decided upon & it just went from there.
Anyway, for our first organised Rod display we invited some Bendigo Rodders to Boort to put their Rods on display. The day this happened would have had to have been Australia Day 1977 as it was on the same day the Lakeside Carnival was on. That way people at the Carnival could just wander over & check out the Rods. I will start off with a couple of pics & then put the rest up in the morning.
Mark & Dave Allens Mum in this shot & Dave's wife Joy near Glenn Watt's Dodge.
Peter Warhursts 39 Merc & Norm Perrow's 34 Chev & Wayne Davis who loved being in photo's.
Some Traction members & some Boort locals hangin out together. Fliptop.
Old Flatheads don't die, they just get blown.
Fliptop ute

Re: Hotrod and custom clubs. Past, present and future.

Post by Fliptop ute »

Back with some more pics from The first Traction Rod & Custom Club Rod Display or Run.
Al Bazerio's A Tourer. Had'nt been on the road very long here & 54 Belair 2 door.
Holden V8 that was in Al's Tourer. And the other 3 cars in pic, Rocky's yellow Cusso in background, Dave Allens unfinished Merc ute, & I forget the owners name but was a neat 54 Belair 2 door.
Norm Perrow's 34 Chev sedan. Nice paint scheme.
Special effect by accident, obviously did'nt wind on film.
In the arfternoon we all headed down to the Boort showgrounds. Unfinished Dodge in grey primer was Mark Allen's who is in shot, Glenn Watt's Dodge & Dave Allen's unfinished Merc ute.
Line up of Rods & Customs at showgrounds.
Dave Allens Merc ute. Was unloaded off trailer at showgrounds & we all went for a spin in it. Had a Cusso V8 in it & I forget what sort of 4 speed. Was finished in time for the 77 Narrandera Nats. Our first Run was a success & a great time was had by all. Organised a Fun in the Sun Run every year after that until 1986. We wer'nt a big Club but we were all keen Rodders.
Fliptop.
Old Flatheads don't die, they just get blown.
DocWatson

Re:

Post by DocWatson »

Chaplain Bacca wrote:Traction Rod & Custom ClubImage
The 38 is just how my father bought the car, must have been shortly after this that he did?? Its only the second pic of it I have ever seen before the re-build.
Obviously Gibbo is my father, Im the bag of shit son that ran off to the Army and took the 38, at least he has it back now.

This is about as far back as I recall...........

Paul 'Doc' Watson (Gibson).
DocWatson

Post by DocWatson »

PS Is that Dennis Kilner with his 34 next to the 38?

Doc.
302-coop

Post by 302-coop »

I spent a bunch of of years in my street machine days as a member and comity member of SESM south east street machines, then had no club ties for around 12 yrs, then myself and a few mates were all talking 'bout starting a club that had no membership fees no comity no hassles etc the only requirements are as follows
An interest in cars bikes music hot rod art (pinstriping tikis etc)
Have to be invited by members
blah blah
Think we have heard this before but it is working well so far, current members rides include
65 Mustang
xp, 37 ford (in process)
two toranas an HT a triumph cycle a gemini bigblok powered drag car tank fairlane 29 closed cab pick up(unfinished)
As we are not a hot rod and Kustom club only, but accepting mates and acquaintances with an interest in all types off cars bikes music etc and helping each other out in a family friendly environment we decided not to have hot rod or Kustom in our name so we are simly called Kustodians. Members so far only 5 but we r not in a rush to get big :D
Gerry
Bacca

Post by Bacca »

Sounds a bit like the toy club in Stawell, a good idea for a smaller town & club display days can be interesting with even military stuff showing up.
Basically any interesting road or track vehicle. Of cause some rodders don't like mixing with other types of things, a bit like the early Holden thing :D