45 years of Custom Auto Chassis Eng.

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
Oldcol
Old Hand

Re: 45 years of Custom Auto Chassis Eng.

Post by Oldcol »

I had one of those Willys wagons for a while, ugly as sin tho.... :lol: , sold it to some surfer dude from Phillip Island who wanted it as a promo thing for his surf shop ( more likely to scare customers away I reckon :lol: )...

..and that Godawful tourer of Eames's, around the time he first got it , we...Peter and Fergie and I took it for a little blast up Ruby St (slow blast)...it's not a really generous 3 seater so I ended up sitting in the middle of the 2 Peters with my head sticking up above the screen a bit....and that was fine until we hit a bit of speed and the bonnet flipped up and over ,beaning me neatly on the noggin and breaking off the windscreen posts....didn't even see it coming, just all of a sudden a big bang and the lights went out for a bit. Fuckin' thing..... :lol:
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

ha ha pisser Col thanks for posting that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-DNj8eSf0
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Oldcol wrote:I had one of those Willys wagons for a while, ugly as sin tho.... :lol: , sold it to some surfer dude from Phillip Island who wanted it as a promo thing for his surf shop ( more likely to scare customers away I reckon :lol: )...
I used to see that Wagon in Newhaven all the time. The surf shop was owner by Shirley Strahan from Skyhooks! He was living a couple of doors down from our holiday house and I used to see him all the time.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Greetings,been a little while since any posts, but haven't been sitting around doing nothing :lol: ....

....Wayne's pickup is all but finished,runs and runs well!, just fiddling with a few final detail things and working out cold starting....fluid levels and stuff like that....

...been foolin' around with this one today, bought it last year and stuck it in a corner...now we're in lockdown or isolation or whatever you wish to call it, I figured it was time to sort out some of the stuff I've collected since we moved here . This hasn't run for some years and was missing a few bits and pieces which I've managed to scare up, only thing left to do tomorrow before I fire it up is make up some plug leads and add fuel,everything else is ready ....we'll see what happens tomorrow :lol:
-------------
Col....

Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

Those Cadillac badges are a nice finishing touch 8)
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

looking at chassis behind W motor reminds me of 50/s around west suburbs so many rods ran pilot hubcaps one reason most cars had 39 brakes fitted and pilot caps were considered an update
oops dribbling on my new puter looking at your work Col :lol: :lol:
rx4ord
Old Hand

Post by rx4ord »

Nice Col.
What cubes is that big Chev jigger?

Tassie Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
Greg N Smith

Post by Greg N Smith »

pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

I could never tell the difference between a 348 and a 409 prob cos I haven't seen a lot of them :lol:
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

pilot Dave wrote:looking at chassis behind W motor reminds me of 50/s around west suburbs so many rods ran pilot hubcaps one reason most cars had 39 brakes fitted and pilot caps were considered an update
oops dribbling on my new puter looking at your work Col :lol: :lol:
....yes Dave,Pilot caps were the big deal,probably 'coz there was nothing else back then and they did look pretty neat. I'll get some pics today of the '34 they are on, would have done it yesterday but both Fbucket and the forum were playing up and not loading,so I went and read a book.... :lol:

...and the W is a 348, I think the main visual difference is a bigger harmonic balancer. Also found out that regular Chevy dissy's don't fit, these have a shorter fatter one. Was a bit of a worry there for a while 'coz I didn't have a cap for the vintage Mallory,or so I thought :roll: :lol: .
-------------
Col....

King Willy

Post by King Willy »

Hey guys, I think that Flood bodied Willys would be the one Ted Robinette now owns, he bought one to stop it from going outside of Oz.
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

thanks Col is the Mallory a 2 piece cap?? if so Craig W may have one I can ring him for you if it is
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

King Willy wrote:Hey guys, I think that Flood bodied Willys would be the one Ted Robinette now owns, he bought one to stop it from going outside of Oz.
...well you'd be wrong :lol: , it's Eames' car,even says so in the ad....and it did go o/s, along with a few others that Peter sent, no-one here wanted Willys back then except for a scant few of us, so Pete was able to find a niche market in the USA for some of our stuff that would probably have ended up as scrap if he hadn't done it...he also brought back a few US bodied coupes and pickups too ,so it wasn't all one way traffic.
-------------
Col....

Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

pilot Dave wrote:thanks Col is the Mallory a 2 piece cap?? if so Craig W may have one I can ring him for you if it is
Thanks Dave but I had one that I bought last year at a swap meet, initially it didn't fit and I thought it was the wrong thing....turned out that some numbskull ( no, not me :lol: ) had bent the rotor contact arm up and it was stopping the cap from seating....easy fix once I spotted it. And the big clunker runs too, just came inside from stinking up the workshop :lol: ....
-------------
Col....

pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

all good Col :D glad its running Craig got my 3 genuine GM tri carb set (1 centre 2 outer)I had would look nice on that but his garage is called "the Bermuda triangle" once it goes in it never comes out I think his dad Ian may have named it that but could be wrong …..again