Grand Willys Project

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
hudson nut

Re: Grand Willys Project

Post by hudson nut »

Gojeep wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:23 pm They didn't work on it for a month as had promised another project to be done by Christmas. But they didn't make that deadline so beginning of January they were completing that one. He says now there are two guys on it, so hope they make up for some lost time. Cab was already in sealer and now being primed while the rest of the front panels are getting up to the sealer stage.
This made me think of an old TV commercial... There is a REALLY overweight, greasy, auto repair guy on the telephone telling a customer " I've got two of my best guys on it right now" The camera cuts to two dirtier, sloppier guys, way up on the hood of the customer's car eating their lunch.

I am looking forward to seeing tour truck in paint. I sincerely hope it comes back exactly as you expect it to.

Dany
25 Hudson speedster project
29 Hudson coupe
36 Hudson 4dr sedan
36 Hudson LWB 4dr sedan
40 Hudson 2dr sedan
41 Hudson coupe
54 Hudson coupe
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

Body shop jail is a bitch. I had a car I built that was sent to a very good painter that I knew. I told the owner not to pay him in advance. If you paid him in advance he would pay bills and have no money left for materials. He did pay him though. It took 15 months to get the car back. It was a very good job though. The paint is still pristine 30 years later.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

During my working life I dealt with literally thousands of motor vehicle claims, all on expensive, performance or odd cars. I can't recall a single one coming out on time.

My own 911 Porsche was in a shop for 3 years after being hit in the rear. We sent that shop a lot of work as they were excellent, but why hold my car hostage?

It's worth waiting if the job meets or surpasses your expectations.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

They were finishing off an XB? Coupe for Valigrunt and had the camera crew from Workshop Wars Downunder filming it. Might see my cab in the background on the show?
He does do great work and I have resigned to the fact that I wont get to drive it the season, but it will give me something to put together over winter I guess. ;)
It is the top two posts shown on their FB page at the moment.
https://www.facebook.com/RidesDownUnderWorkshopWars/
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Just watching him paint the XB is mesmerising.

They move quite slowly and if I do that I have runs. If I move faster I get an average finish.

I guess I'll never be a painter!
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

I used to like watching that show , but it's just become an advert for the bussinesses now .
scott
Twin Spinner

Post by Twin Spinner »

Take some night classes and do your own spray painting :)
If it has tits or wheels, you can expect trouble.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

zuffen wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:58 pm Just watching him paint the XB is mesmerising.

They move quite slowly and if I do that I have runs. If I move faster I get an average finish.

I guess I'll never be a painter!
I'm exactly the same!
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
heven67

Post by heven67 »

I can tell you that you need to be able to see the paint as it’s hitting the surface to be able to judge the speed of your motions, also the spray nozzle has toe be set correctly and it helps to understand the paint chemistry.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Just got an update and having two people on it caught up some time.
Cab is done blocking and they are spraying Raptor Lining under the floor next and then ready for top coat in 2 weeks time.
Front panels are not far behind so things are looking up.
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Would it be an accurate guess that the single most expensive thing on this vehicle is the paint?

I would think the entire Grand Cherokee would have been cheaper.
hudson nut

Post by hudson nut »

That's great news. Glad to hear it.

Dany
25 Hudson speedster project
29 Hudson coupe
36 Hudson 4dr sedan
36 Hudson LWB 4dr sedan
40 Hudson 2dr sedan
41 Hudson coupe
54 Hudson coupe
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

zuffen wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:34 pm Would it be an accurate guess that the single most expensive thing on this vehicle is the paint?

I would think the entire Grand Cherokee would have been cheaper.
Yes, that is for sure. The biggest single item before that was $1150 recently getting the bumper redone in chrome! Sucks that I had to do it twice after damaging it when some steel fell onto it during the night when locked away in the workshop! Still don't know how that happened as even the cat can't get in there then.
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

A little update as dropped by the painters yesterday with my wife.
In primer ready for final blocking before top coat!

All coming along very nicely.

My cab is on its back getting the floor and firewall ready to be painted and Raptor Lining sprayed on.

This is why you have a test spray out done. The one left in the picture we had done originally and in DeBeer's paint and the right was just done by the painter in Mipa branded paint that they want to use on the Truck. Way different! The original looks the same as the original Harley Davidson colour, supposed to be Olive Gold Pearl, where Mipa's version of the same paint code is much more green and has more sparkle. Not what we are after as too pretty for a truck. Also we are after olive, not green.

You can also see how the Mipa one on the left loses colour quickly when not in direct sunlight. Something we want to avoid on the truck.

This is what it is suppose to look like and the Debeer's version looks spot on.

So now I am going to see what Mipa's version of Harley Davidson Olive Gold Denim is like with a gloss clear over it, but they haven't the formula for it! It is a lighter version of the other Olive Gold and normally doesn't have a clear over it as is a matt version. I have also the option of ordering and having it painted in the DeBeer's paint, (made in the Netherlands and owned by Valspar), but they feel the quality isn't quite as high as Mipa, (made in Germany). I don't know myself.
Marcus

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

The original colour is way nicer than the Mipa green.

You need to consider if the car will be left out in the weather or not.

If it will live under cover most of the time I wouldn't be too concerned about the "quality" difference as Valspar has an amazing reputation n the marine world and I can't imagine them producing something that isn't equal to or above the industry standard.

It may be less hardy the Mipa but still way above the likes of PPG or Dulux?