Somebody got a BARGAIN!

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
jeffa
Old Hand

Somebody got a BARGAIN!

Post by jeffa »

I'e been following this for a while, love the car!

If I had the space....

Hopefully the link stays active for a while...

A 1935 straight eight Buick Holden bodied sedan in what I would describe as great condition..https://online.doningtonauctions.com.au ... 3d0ee1add3

I have more pictures if the links dont work.

Quote from the ad:
" The 1935 Series 8/40 five-passenger sedan we have the pleasure of offering here is a right-hand drive car that was almost certainly sold new in Australia, although we have no documentation or paperwork to verify this. Finished in the period two-tone colour scheme of brown on beige, the Buick has been part of an extensive private collection of classics based in the Southern Highlands region of NSW for some years.

Evidently the subject of a restoration in the not too distant past, the Buick presents well overall, with decent paint, brightwork and a lovely interior. The brown upholstery is in good condition, with no splits or tears and relatively little wear while the carpets are clean, the headliner in good shape and the dash beautifully finished and well-stocked with a lockable glove box, clock and gauges for fuel, water temperature, amperes and oil pressure housed either side of the 100mph speedo. Indicators are a concession to modern traffic but this apart the Buick remains pleasingly original.

Mechanically the car appears to be complete and recommissioning should prove relatively simple. Currently unregistered, the Buick will be sold with No Reserve. "

Guide price was $15,000 to $20,000?? Sold price I estimated would be around the $40k+ mark.

Hows $17,000 sound...
Last edited by jeffa on Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
Gojeep
Old Hand

Re: Somebody got a BARGAIN!

Post by Gojeep »

Wow! Hate to think what they put into it for the resto, and only got that back.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
hugh ness

Post by hugh ness »

Incredible value.
Prices have fallen considerably over the past couple of years, but that is great buying.
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Yes, a unique model as well.
Independant coil sprung front end. Straight eight. Plenty of room inside. It would make a great vintage rally car.
The body was unique to Australia. The US model didn't have an integrated boot, and the body was shorter. Because of the depression, Buick was struggling so they decided to still produce the straight eight chassis from earlier years, but went to Chev for the body.
Her in Oz, because Holden built the bodies, they stuck with the more luxurious (Buick style) earlier bodies. So we got a better body than the folks in the US. Longer body, bigger opening rear side windows ("quarter windows"), and leather interior (the US version was broadcloth).
It'd be interesting to take one to a Buick convention in the US to see their reactions.

Only a few things you'd need to get used to...
Wood framed body... This is when most manufacturers were chaging over to all-steel bodies. Holden were a bit slow.
That would (pun...) depend on how much attention it got during the restoration.
No power anything... no power steering... just heaps of turns lock to lock, and a BIG wheel.
Not only no power brakes (!) but mechanical as well... You'd need to plan a long way ahead if you want to stop!
Lots of maintenance and fiddly adjustments to keep you off the streets.
Oh. and a leatherette roof insert to look after.

Still in all, I should have made a bid. Very active Buick club here, and I would put it straght to work as a wedding/event car.
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Great background info there. :)
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
turns
Old Hand

Post by turns »

Beautiful car and excellent value

No good for blokes like me though :roll:
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly"...............Morticia Addams