Burst Proof Door Latches

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
leocar

Burst Proof Door Latches

Post by leocar »

Hi Everyone,

I am building a 1940 Chev 4 door sedan and the rear doors are suicide doors. I have been told by the engineer that I require burst proof door latches from a late model car. In the past I would have walked around a wreckers and grabbed a set of latches and strikers with similar dimensions but Pick a Part or you pull it wreckers don’t seem to exist anymore, if anyone knows of one in the Sydney region let me know. I have looked a bit on this forum ( there is heaps of information which nearly makes it harder to find) but was wondering what most people are using? Is there a common model of car people are generally getting the latches and strikers from or are they buying the aftermarket ones like the ones Rod and Custom sell?

https://www.partsforhotrods.com.au/shop ... it-package

I have a VE commodore that I can use but the latches and strikers seem to be way too big compared to the 1940 chev. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
zuffen

Re: Burst Proof Door Latches

Post by zuffen »

Try Northern Road Wreckers Londonderry. They were trading a year or so ago but no idea if they still exist as the land was for sale.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

I fitted Holden Rodeo locks into our 49 Ford Pickup after wandering around self serve wreckers. Early 2000,s model. I had a narrow space.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

https://i.postimg.cc/cJ14xZV4/00007-IMG ... 182144.jpg hump is for lever clearance. I made brackets to mount the locks then welded them into the doors. Tacked first to make sure I could easily remove and replace if necessary. Activation externally is via S1 Jag door handles. Thes handles can either via the push button be a lifter or pusher for the lock rod by either fitting as stock or swapping left to right .
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

I have used Mazda in the past, the latch part fits in most doors (I had them in an 1930 Essex).
I see my 2001 Commodore has similar striker plates, so maybe Commodore?

I have bear claws in my 1936 Chev roadster, suicide doors. Engineer was happy at the time he inspected it, but I vaguely remember bear claws not being accepted anymore??

I need to verify this before Facebook et al get hold of it and it becomes default misinformation!
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

I had my bear claws accepted in VIC, but who knows if all engineers do here. Ford Laser or Corolla were often used and would prefer to use something like that as the aftermarket bear claws aren't that great and need more force.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
leocar

Post by leocar »

I had a look at my doors, there is about 50mm to 60mm max space in the door and similar in the pillar. I have a donner VE commodore but the latches are at least 70mm so might be too big.

Where was the Self Serve wreckers that you went to Frank?

Sounds like most cars pre 2000 will hopefully have narrow locks. It just makes it difficult when you have to tell the wreckers exactly what you want as you cannot just walk through them anymore.

Shame about the bear claw as that may have been the simplest solution.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

In Melbourne we have two self serve. One is "Pick A Part" that has sites in Kilsyth and Campellfield. And "JOLLYS" Sites in Ringwood ,Dandenong and Geelong. And we have a third I forgot "Imlachs" in Center Road Clayton. All have websites with makes/models/year . Stock holding at a chosen site and prices, Jollys has locations via numbers on a printable map. When leaving you give them the vehicle number,and they mark item as "sold" to save a trip for someone. Works well,but some dickheads do not know right from left. I went to a site to get a silver driver side[RH] rear door for a particular Toyota for someone. It was the only door missing on a vehicle that had the LH rear door "sold". Some dickhead when asked which side? Obviously was standing in front of the vehicle and saw the driver rear as "left". Nowadays you are asked. "Passenger or driver side" Great places to explore with tape measure when needing bits for rodding.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

I drove past Northern Road Wreckers in Londonderry yesterday.

They were the last Pick a Part that I know was operating.

There was a small on in Seven Hills but I would need to drive around to find it as I haven't been there for 15 years.

I think Sydney is just about out of Pick a part places. Pity.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
hugh ness

Post by hugh ness »

Dapto pick a part are still going strong afaik. Bit of hike down south of Sydney, but a nice drive.
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

What about these? https://rocketindustries.com.au/wswl24l ... aw-latches I know that some of the older models of Freightliner trucks used a similar bear claw latch that was approved. As far as I know the difference between approved and non-approved is the double locking action of the approved latches, and the single locking action of the non-approved latches.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
jeffa
Old Hand

Post by jeffa »

Hi Enjenjo.
Those ar identical to the ones I have in my Chev, except mine were nowhere near that price. Inflation I guess?

Try these...

https://www.partsforhotrods.com.au/shop ... claw-locks
Yeah. I've changed my signature. The old one was out of date...
What if climate change IS a hoax, and we make a better world for nothing?