fibreglass to steel bonding

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
oldmate

fibreglass to steel bonding

Post by oldmate »

Hi all, just a quick one. I'm building the subrails i believe they are called and a body frame steelout for a floppy early A roadster body which I think I have worked out. Just wondering how this is then glued into the fibreglass body? I am thinking sikaflex but open to suggestions on what is best?

Many thanks,
Woody
chop_shop

Re: fibreglass to steel bonding

Post by chop_shop »

GDay, on my tbucket i used sikaflex, the frame was supertight to the body, and sikaflexed only in areas that were on flanges or the perimeter if that makes sense, i wouldnt go using it on the middle areas due to the different expansion / movement rates of the steel and fiberglass and sikaflex

(i saw a car once that in the shade it was ok couldnt see ripples in the body where the frame was glued but as soon as it was in the sun/heated up you could see ripples, no idea what it was bonded with)

Some of the body makers also just use body filler (i assume reinforced fibrefill or something similar), especially on enclosed panels like a boot lid where there is an inner is bonded to the steel, but the outer is just bonded to the inner,
“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein
oldmate

Post by oldmate »

Thanks for the reply mate. I hadnt thought of that about the side panels as you mentioned. Yes sikaflex is probably best, i've used it before for seam sealing and wheel tub to 1/4 panels joins on a steel car, a very strong bond
ratrob31

Post by ratrob31 »

Look into Sika flex 252 , this is the stuff buses and motor home panels are glued to the aluminium with