Saas Speedo sender Question

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
monte
Old Hand

Saas Speedo sender Question

Post by monte »

I have bought a SAAS Speedo for the new project and have no idea where or how I set up a sender for it ,its electronic and programbable ,maybe a sender to the C4 auto or something ,any ideas would be good thanks
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Re: Saas Speedo sender Question

Post by pilot Dave »

hi Monte hope you and Ann are well up there
this should help you mate hopefully
cheers Dave :D

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... c4.328535/
Last edited by pilot Dave on Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-DNj8eSf0
46 deluxe
Old Hand

Post by 46 deluxe »

I have some of the ford sender units from xd - xf's Monte , not sure if they are compatible with your gauges though ?
scott
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

pilot Dave wrote:hi Monte hope you and Ann are well up there

We are all good up here Dave ,Ann just had a second grandaughter arrive last night so we have 2 new little Princesses now ,thanks for that info Dave as its given me some ideas on how it all works :) :) :) :)
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

46 deluxe wrote:I have some of the ford sender units from xd - xf's Monte , not sure if they are compatible with your gauges though ?
Thanks scott for the reply hope you are keeping dry down there ,I will see if i can contact SAAS tech mob and have a chat with them regarding those sensors ,I cant seem to find any information on these speedoes other than the instructions
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

monte wrote:
pilot Dave wrote:hi Monte hope you and Ann are well up there

We are all good up here Dave ,Ann just had a second grandaughter arrive last night so we have 2 new little Princesses now ,thanks for that info Dave as its given me some ideas on how it all works :) :) :) :)
all good Monte my congrats to that young lady of yours hope mum and daughter are doing well
cheers mate Dave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-DNj8eSf0
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

You need to ascertain if the sensor works on a square wave or sine wave signal.

A sine wave uses 2 wires and a square (or hall effect) uses 3 wires as it needs 12volts fed to it.

Rally cars usually use sensors inside the front hub to count the wheel studs going past. They use the front to rule out wheel spin of the back wheels.

A cheap reliable square wave sensor is an old Falcon ignition module.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Hi Monte. There should be a spec from the manufacturer/supplier for a sender depending on what pulse system it uses. I have a programmable VDO unit in our 49 pick up. I purchased a compatible sender that screws onto an adaptor that looks like the end of the old mechanical cable holding the driven gear. I purchased the speedo from Bursons who are VDO gauge distributors, and got the sender with adaptor for a Turbo 350 from Howard instruments.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

https://www.shopsaas.com/assets/files/i ... itting.pdf

Here is the link to the PDF file that Monte asked me to post (he is just as puter savvy as ever LOL) I hope this makes sense to everyone. :D :D :D
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Calibration instructions.Somewhat similar, VDO uses a button on the odometer face for mode select with three different methods, Simplest was the "Start" "finish" driving over a pre measured kilometer. I borrowed a Toyota Camry and used its odometer to measure from my driveway to another in the neighbourhood. Then did my cal. Turns out that my button reaction was not exactly science due to some tradies trucks near the end of my trip I had to watch as well. Using a GPS later for some more testing I am reading about 3kph lower. Later after figuring out whether going past what was my destination property or hitting the button beforehand. I can do it all again anyway pretty simple. Great feature of these speedos is that you can calibrate whenever you change diff ratios or tyre profiles .
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

FRANK BASILE wrote:Calibration instructions.Somewhat similar, VDO uses a button on the odometer face for mode select with three different methods, Simplest was the "Start" "finish" driving over a pre measured kilometer. I borrowed a Toyota Camry and used its odometer to measure from my driveway to another in the neighbourhood. Then did my cal. Turns out that my button reaction was not exactly science due to some tradies trucks near the end of my trip I had to watch as well. Using a GPS later for some more testing I am reading about 3kph lower. Later after figuring out whether going past what was my destination property or hitting the button beforehand. I can do it all again anyway pretty simple. Great feature of these speedos is that you can calibrate whenever you change diff ratios or tyre profiles .
So Frank you reckon this will work with a standard C4 sender like on a xd
monte
Old Hand

Post by monte »

46 deluxe wrote:I have some of the ford sender units from xd - xf's Monte , not sure if they are compatible with your gauges though ?
PM sent mate
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

You may have to get the pulse spec of the Falcon unit and the SAAS ,I looked up the SAAS speedos and they seem to have a GPS sender. My pulse generator or transducer is a hall effect type and produces 8 pulses per 1 revolution. I got that when I had no luck in first calibrating the set up. I was getting a "no signal' error code and talked to the instrument tech. After checking my wiring I removed the sender and adaptor with cog and found that my T350 was minus drive gear. The clip snapping it to the o/p shaft was weak and the drive gear had slid off. :x I had never driven the vehicle before with the old mechanical speedo.