Prefect - 1st build

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
Sly Fox

Re: Prefect - 1st build

Post by Sly Fox »

Welcome back Simon, must of been exciting testing it out and seeing it work for the first time.

Hopefully I can get back into mine soon, unfortunately there's lots of other things getting in the way like you experienced.
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
SimonG

Post by SimonG »

Gojeep wrote:Great to see you back at it.
Should look pretty phat once the guards are widened.
Thanks for the kind words and I can't believe the progress that you have made and to be out driving around must be an amazing feeling after seeing where you started

Sly Fox wrote:Welcome back Simon, must of been exciting testing it out and seeing it work for the first time.

Hopefully I can get back into mine soon, unfortunately there's lots of other things getting in the way like you experienced.
Yes now that life is back to normally I have been flat out with Scouts but am hoping to slow down a little and get some more time at home. I still try and do little bits or sit quietly and plan ahead so that I feel like I am getting something done.
NashRod

Post by NashRod »

Nice work Simon, I was also going to try the flip front but in the end went for Hagan flip either side hinges. Spent more that I would have liked but now I can concentrate on mounting them.

Scouts will do that to you. They suck every spare moment of your time if you let them but it is rewarding.
I once found that it had been four years since I touched the hotrod due to scouting commitments.

Make them balance is the best advice I can give (and don't forget to find time for your family :D )

Cheers and Happy Rodding.
Chris
SimonG

Post by SimonG »

NashRod wrote:Nice work Simon, I was also going to try the flip front but in the end went for Hagan flip either side hinges. Spent more that I would have liked but now I can concentrate on mounting them.

Scouts will do that to you. They suck every spare moment of your time if you let them but it is rewarding.
I once found that it had been four years since I touched the hotrod due to scouting commitments.

Make them balance is the best advice I can give (and don't forget to find time for your family :D )

Cheers and Happy Rodding.
Chris
After having spent the last 3 weekends out of 4 with scouts commitments I totally understand where you are coming from and have made changes this year to do a little less to get that balance right, but I do enjoy teaching the kids. It helps now that my son is old enough that he wants to help with the hot rod so progress will be slower but I am excited that he has the interest and patience.
SimonG

Post by SimonG »

It is great to see that the forum is back up and running again, so a huge thank you from me for all your hard work.

I haven't finished off too much lately but have been chipping away at my front seats which have now been narrowed and finally fit. I have made up a floor brace and the re used the original mounting brackets and whilst not finished yet it is giving me hope that I can work it out.

I have also bit the bullet and moved onto widening my rear guards. I first made a wire form using the outline of the original guard that I welded to the car with my wheels on ( but forget to photograph). When I was happy with the shape and clearances I cut it off and laid the original guard against it to get the best position to make the cut. It can be a challenge to make that first cut but it had to be done.

After making some templates I worked out that it might be easier to make the strip in 3 pieces so I cut them out and started wheeling. It was necessary to shrink one edge so after years of watching Youtube I made a shrinking stump, with a random log I had in the yard, and began beating on the perfect panel I had just spent a couple of hours forming :? :? .

So far all good and the lumps have even come out so there is hope I can make it all out of steel and looking half decent. The best part is you can wheel at night without upsetting the wife or neighbours, so I feel like I am sneaking a few extra hours every week :D

That is all from me for now but hopefully soon I will have a completed guard that I will be proud enough of to show off :)
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

Nice work Simon, I like where you're going with the back guards.
They'll really help give the little beast some more attitude.
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

That is quiet a task taking on a guard like that. Looking forward to seeing how it develops. :)
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
thatold.chevy

Post by thatold.chevy »

Great build thread - really enjoying it.
robtus

Post by robtus »

Looking good, nice to see any progress I reckon, eventually it will get done.
I never make the same mistake twice, I do it 5 or 6 times just to be sure !!!

Making progress, https://www.muston.com/public_html/34%2 ... _Limo.html
SimonG

Post by SimonG »

Thanks for the encouragement everyone and I have managed to spend a few hours on the rear guards and am happy with my progress given that I have never tackled anything this complex before.

Then a quick reminder of what I started with-

There is a few flat spots that will ned some shaping but I am hoping to get it all tacked together next weekend and I can start smoothing the shape. I have to say though it is working out ok so far :D
thatold.chevy

Post by thatold.chevy »

that's PHAT - love it.
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Coming along great. :)
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
jailbar joe
Old Hand

Post by jailbar joe »

excellent result ....you should be pretty pleased with that.... iknow i would
cheers joe

if you do nothing then nothing happens