later model motor in X H panelvan

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
Mr Desoto

later model motor in X H panelvan

Post by Mr Desoto »

just wondering if any one has put a later model motor in an X H X G panelvan
or EB EL falcon, what changes do I have to make to my car , ie wiring loom , computer
different auto trans, any help would be appreciated.

regards Gary
I'm realy a ford man,but the Desoto was free
wannabe51

Re: later model motor in X H panelvan

Post by wannabe51 »

Hi there,
I have done several motor updates on some of my HQs, in both cases I replaced 253s with 5 litre fuel injected motors and transmissions from VS Statesmans. Engine mounts remain the same, but a modified rear crossmember is required. I modified original ones to suit.
Both VS Statesmans were donor cars, so I removed the computer and looms and an auto elec modified it to suit. Cost a $1000 for that work, No trouble to date.
The engineer made me fit a catalytic converter, and a swirl pot. I took the tank out and inserted an after market Commodore in tank high pressure electric fuel pump. You will have to run a return line from the fuel rail back to the swirl pot. The donor cars provided the emission stuff you need.
Really transforms the car, more power, better fuel economy and 1700 RPM at 100kmh!
Good luck
Wannabe51
Mr Desoto

Post by Mr Desoto »

Thanks Wannabe, as the existing motor is injected computer motor,
I am not going to gain to much in economy, its just that these motors are getting harder to find in good condition.
I will have to rebuild one of the motors I have.

Gary
I'm realy a ford man,but the Desoto was free
chop_shop

Post by chop_shop »

Gday, depends on the year of your XH, some have the EL Motor others have the earlier type (where the intake/throttle body is lower down). i think they ran a dizzy as opposed to coil pack/pickup that EF's run

Im about to put the AU VCT engine in my XH ute (it has the EL style motor) being an XR6. To fit the AU VCT the sump needs to be modified and the the VCT needs to be controlled. My cars manual so will run the normal manual computer, and most of the EL/XH accessories. The A/C needs the spacers cut down too. Also worth noting there is variances in the alternator across AU series 1,2,3 with one of the series being different , i think its 2, but not sure.

If its the earlier motor with lower intake then the short block from ED/EF/EL/XH/XG (using your accessories intake, dizzy, exhaust, alt, A/c ) will work.

in most cases like always its cheaper to buy a running car from the above variants, get the motor and bits you need and wreck out the rest, should see you offset the majority of the purchase price.

i have sourced low KM engines for X series and E series via Ebay, from both "Ballarat performance wreckers" and "Robbos Part and panels" in sunshine recently.

alternative choice is the 4.0 Barra from BA-FG, plenty have been retrofitted (got one in an XE and its great). Pretty sure the fit under the XH sloped bonnet, but again require sump mods, wiring mods, exhaust mods, etc etc...not straight bolt in.

cheers
Warren
“Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein