LS6 in a hotrod

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
jex

LS6 in a hotrod

Post by jex »

I'm considering replacing the gen1 350 in my car with an LS6. Trying to keep the old school look will be a challenge but the better performance and lighter engine should offset that. I'm looking for recommendations on an engine management system, it is only needed for the engine as it will be mated to the existing turbo 400.
John
FX Panelvan

Re: LS6 in a hotrod

Post by FX Panelvan »

Hi Jex

In my experience you are best to stick with the manufacturers system.
So when buying the engine get the engine loom and computer with it.
This can then be mated into the rest of the vehicle.
Plenty of aftermarket options but no really good reason to change from the original.
The manufacturere have spent a fortune in research and development. Much more than we could contemplate spending.
No need to re-invent the wheel.
regards

Brian
Beelzeboss

Post by Beelzeboss »

I agree the standard ECU / wiring package is very good, and you can get software to fully unlock the ECU for tuning (I have HPTuners).

If you want to go fully old school then you can actually convert it to a distributor system fairly easily and put a carb on it.
My build log:
http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=63709
A Willys MB Jeep with modern(ish) Toyota components
jex

Post by jex »

My son is giving me the engine and I don't think it has the factory loom but I hear you so will follow up to see if it's available. I was going to try and stick with the fuel injection for reliability sake. Changing to a carb & dizzy would probably be a step backwards even though it would look much better.
John
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

jex wrote:I'm considering replacing the gen1 350 in my car with an LS6. Trying to keep the old school look will be a challenge but the better performance and lighter engine should offset that. I'm looking for recommendations on an engine management system, it is only needed for the engine as it will be mated to the existing turbo 400.
Trying to keep the old school look will be a challenge

it would never look old school without as was stated removing the injection /fitting dizzy etc you can buy aftermarket FI which looks similar to a 4bbl carb
depending what sort of car it is keep the bonnet closed no one will know then :wink: :D
there was a guy advertising special looms for your motor in a couple of mags could have been just cars or just parts i tossed all mine out otherwise i could look for you also castlemaine electrics i think its called may be able to help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-DNj8eSf0
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

forgot to add if you were dressing it up old school type you can buy adaptors to fit earlier chev rocker covers also in staggered or straight :D

also fit an alloy 4bbl manifold with the filler tube in it some of the newer manifolds can be bored to suit the tube :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-DNj8eSf0