Carter Carburetor Main Jets

Go here for posts about rebuilds, parts and problems
DumpRat

Carter Carburetor Main Jets

Post by DumpRat »

hi Guys and Gals,

so i have been mucking around with a Dual carb system for sometime and ive just come to start tuning it all in.

its a custom set up modified from two carter BBD (low top) carbs onto a 265 hemi.

i can get it to run (hence the trying to tune) but it ends up flooding. As can prob be expected 2 carbs twice the fuel going in

i have tried to source smaller main Jets for each of the carbs but alas they are the long type jets that apparently no one on the planet makes anymore, so dead end.

i was trying as a test to see if it would work soldering and drilling smaller but wasn't successful (lets leave it at that haha)

does anyone know of any other jets that would be interchangeable into the old BBD style carb the ones i have are numbered 120-297S

anyway probably a long shot at this stage, alternatively does anyone have any that are smaller than the ones i have

cheers for any info as always

cheers
Remember : Manners Cost You Nothing but Get You Everything ....
Oldcol
Old Hand

Re: Carter Carburetor Main Jets

Post by Oldcol »

...you're still here! :lol: ....did you ever get your rod finished?, can't remember seeing it on here...
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
steve the ford guy

Post by steve the ford guy »

DumpRat wrote:hi Guys and Gals,

so i have been mucking around with a Dual carb system for sometime and ive just come to start tuning it all in.

its a custom set up modified from two carter BBD (low top) carbs onto a 265 hemi.

i can get it to run (hence the trying to tune) but it ends up flooding. As can prob be expected 2 carbs twice the fuel going in

i have tried to source smaller main Jets for each of the carbs but alas they are the long type jets that apparently no one on the planet makes anymore, so dead end.

i was trying as a test to see if it would work soldering and drilling smaller but wasn't successful (lets leave it at that haha)

does anyone know of any other jets that would be interchangeable into the old BBD style carb the ones i have are numbered 120-297S

anyway probably a long shot at this stage, alternatively does anyone have any that are smaller than the ones i have

cheers for any info as always

cheers
Hi Dump Rat, I too am running a brace of Carter' carbs on my project, you could contact Carburetor Service company in Burwood Sydney, or maybe these people https://www.classiccarbs.com.au , it may be a fuel pressure issue also which a custom fuel regulator might fix, also, this guy in the US makes adjustable jets for some carbs, worth a look http://vintagespeed.com
Last edited by steve the ford guy on Tue May 19, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nailhead Bucket

Post by Nailhead Bucket »

Crikey. Carburettor Service Company
in (Parramatta?) Sydney. They’ve been around for centuries!
Were THE performance carby people back then. Well worth sussing them on your problem DumpRat.
The older I get, the more everyone else can bite my arse.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Long way away. Look up "MPL Carburettors" Reservoir in Melb. Has plenty of kits and spares and sells online. Might be worth a try.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
DumpRat

Post by DumpRat »

thanks guys ill do some more searching.

im sure ill sort something out

yeah Col im still about, took a bit of a hiatus (bout 5 years by the looks of it hahah) but with Covid lockdowns wont be doing much with the band so getting back into the old girl

Steve, i already spoke with Gavin at Classic Carbs, no good

cheers for the advice guys
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Bum steer. "Should be "MLP' Carburettors
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
Harv

Post by Harv »

Nailhead Bucket wrote:Crikey. Carburettor Service Company
in (Parramatta?) Sydney. They’ve been around for centuries!
Were THE performance carby people back then. Well worth sussing them on your problem DumpRat.
Another vote for the Carb Service Company, out at Burwood. The Howarths is good people.

Cheers,
Harv
DumpRat

Post by DumpRat »

Little update,

still having a hell of a time getting on to any jets for these carbs, so im gunna trial something to see if my theory is correct.

im going to blank off 1 jet in each carb and see what happens if i run each carb off just the one jet (in my head it will work, but that said there is some funky shit going on up in my head)

what i anticipate is essentially halving the fuel flow and thus running the carbs as two single barrels, might work might not but anything is worth a try

cheers
pilot Dave
Old Hand

Post by pilot Dave »

when we were running race motors on dyno we would keep multiple size jets etc
in dyno room
I bought a set of Weber jet drills and when we couldn't go up or down in small increments I soldered heaps and drilled them out with said drill bits (which I still have 90% left in weber plastic numbered stand
I always used good solder some of which was supplied by PMG for telephone terminals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1-DNj8eSf0
DumpRat

Post by DumpRat »

another update,

well the blanking off 1 jet in each seems to have worked well, it starts and idles for a bit now n=ice and smoothly, unfortunatly im getting heaps of vaccume at the rear carb and none and next to nothing at the front, so fuel is just pooling in the front half of the manafold.

going to check it all later today for vaccum leaks but this is frustrating me haha

im a sheet metal worker and not a mechanic :lol:

baby steps, we will get there soon, i hope

STARTING A NEW POST REGARDING THIS ISSUE