Windscreen Wiper Arms

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
Andyd

Windscreen Wiper Arms

Post by Andyd »

The Dodge has BMC cable wipers can't remember exactly which model but I think Morris 1100 or maybe Hillman Gazelle...lol...its been a while..........anyway the arms whilst still working o/k have a bit of wear or slop where they push onto the shaft, its a 1/2" wide fitting on the shaft......has anyone had any experience with the US Newport Engineering wiper arms, they have both left & right of various lengths which would suit and in the 1/2" size so am considering them however is there anyone here in Oz that you would suggest or recommend............thanks....Andy Douglas
Harv

Re: Windscreen Wiper Arms

Post by Harv »

I had the same problem with my FB Holden sedan. I used Truvision arms:
https://truvision.com.au/

Great to deal with, and a good product.

Cheers,
Harv
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Harv...........thanks for the reply, had a look at their products, they maybe a little too big as the car, a 1940 Dodge has the split front flat screens and each wiper is only 11" long in the arm and with a 13" long wiper blade, the arm attaches in the middle of each blade and each arm has a 15 degree angled right or left kick to the blade........but I will phone them on Monday.......thanks.......Andy Douglas
hotrodsteve

Post by hotrodsteve »

hi Andy I got the ones for my 38 sedan from TCR in Melbourne. They are about the same size as the ones you are describing. Steve
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Thanks...they are also on my list to call Monday........just noticed the wear in the ends of the arms today so appreciate the info.......I remembered an hour or so ago that I had an old TCR catalog somewhere and after a search found it.......so they are getting a call...........will report back........andyd
toprodz
Old Hand

Post by toprodz »

I purchased a Newport engineering wiper setup, They were easy to deal with great products, The arms are really good quality, I am going to buy arms and blades from them for my A Tourer.
Regards
Peter Gough
FOUNDING MEMBER #24 OZ-E-RODDERS ROD & KUSTOM CLUB
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

toprodz wrote:I purchased a Newport engineering wiper setup, They were easy to deal with great products, The arms are really good quality, I am going to buy arms and blades from them for my A Tourer.

I will second that. I have used several sets of Newport arms and have yet to experience a failure.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
zuffen

Post by zuffen »

Make sure the problem is the arms and not wear in the spindles.

They tend to wear the teeth off them.

At least the spindles are easy to replace.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Zuffen.....good point.........will check.............thanks..........andyd
47chevyvan

Post by 47chevyvan »

ive used the Austin - bmc wipers in my cars for years !!! the wiper arms are the same spline as the early Holden [ fc fe fb ek ] hr and hk t g are bigger in the spline early dodge in the 50 - 60 had them aswell !!! i put early Holden [ fc fe ] ones on a 50s dodge kingsway
Andyd

Post by Andyd »

Checked and the wear is in the female "head" of the wiper arm........the Truvision ones were too big..........TCR has some SPW ones but they have the bend in a different spot, would probably be o/k but am going to modify an arm that doesn't fit to this shape/angle to check whether it will be o/k, otherwise will call Newports in the US...............andyd
Chrisso
Old Hand

Post by Chrisso »

Andy PM me please I may be able to help you out.
Oldcol
Old Hand

Post by Oldcol »

Trico used to make a universal wiper arm kit, they were loads better than any of the repro shit you'll buy from the rest of the world....sadly it's another local industry put out to pasture by our govt. allowing imports to sink local companies, but if you search around you might find someone who had old stocks of parts,if so the numbers are A103/A104......only last week I found a guy at a swap meet who has stocks of wiper arms and Lucas wiper parts too, got his card if you want to follow up on it...cheers.
-------------
Col....

"Works" comes before "looks good", cos "looks good" changes, and "works" works!
enjenjo

Post by enjenjo »

Here you go. http://www.derek.com.au/tricowiper.html

In addition, most Vintage Trico arms were two pieces riveted together with the same rivet pattern. You can drill out the rivets, and put your tops on good bottoms.
People who think they know it all, bother those of us that do.
Newbee

Post by Newbee »

Thanks enjenjo, amazing what you can find from the other side of the world now on the web.
It's in my hometown (almost) and had never heard of them.

Regards Newbee