A Tudor Project-Filling the roof ?

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
28rp

A Tudor Project-Filling the roof ?

Post by 28rp »

I am after a bit of input/ constructive criticism on this one....
I am debating whether to fill the roof insert on my 28A Tudor project-which will be trimmed as per stock, not painted. It already has a Macs wood kit installed- mocked up- I ,m wondering what later model roof to chase up as a filler-have access to a REALLY rusty XR Falcon wagon that I could raid the roof skin off,but that would be welded in and negate use of the wood kit-which I would like to keep as I like the profile of the stock padded roof.
Another thought I had was to simply fit a sheet of 1.6mm or whatever panel steel into the insert, Sikaflex, pop rivets or some other way of fitting it in and bolt the timber in on top. The sheet would seem to be reasonably supported around the perimeter flange and the steel hood bow above the doors. Possibly a couple of suages could be rolled in so the sheet would hold form.
OR-is it really necessary to fill the roof at all?
I want to get away from having the Roof billowing at speed. I am told this isn,t uncommon with Rodded Tudors-not so much with Stock ones...
All input appreciated

Ash
rx4ord
Old Hand

Re: A Tudor Project-Filling the roof ?

Post by rx4ord »

Hey Ash get in touch with 28 Tudor or read his post to find out.
It's a lot of pages but is in there somewhere :shock:

Tassie Dave
Founding Member of OZ-E-Rodders
47chevyvan

Post by 47chevyvan »

if you are going to put a steel roof into your car and cover it like original you have to paint the roof before you cover it . it will rust if you don't . factory vinyl roofs only had primmer and the dealer delivered where painted under the vinyl
Gojeep
Old Hand

Post by Gojeep »

Don't even think that just grabbing a sheet of 1.6mm steel and riveting it in will work. There is a lot more crown to these panels than you think and a flat panel will never work. Even if forced over arched timber as needs a compound curve.
If you have a shrinker/stretcher, grab some strips of steel and make the arch to match what you need in different areas. Otherwise cut strips from MDF etc with a jigsaw. Then look at different cars to see which match the best to the profiles. Often even turning them around so the back is at the front is a better match.
Marcus

To try where there is little hope, is to risk failure.
Not to try at all, is to guarantee it!

____| \______\
|/¯\ |¯ |----O||||O
()_)-o-)¯¯()_)-o-)_)
Sly Fox

Post by Sly Fox »

An old mate of mine used a Holden wagon roof to fill his A Tudor roof and the shape was perfect.
Might of been from a HQ but not 100% sure.
51 Dodge Custom & 63 EH Ute - Dare to be different
michael037

Post by michael037 »

From memory you use a HQ wagon roof with the rear facing towards the front.
Michael
28rp

Post by 28rp »

Thanks for the input fellas-the hq wagon roof info is toward where I was heading for an insert to weld into the roof.
The sheet idea was more akin to putting a flat ceiling under the rafters to stop the fabric roof billowing from the air pressure when travelling at speed. I was thinking to try and fit the panel steel over the top of the ribs would negate me using them- I would be better to use the later model donor skin in that case. If I fitted the panel steel ''ceiling'', it would probably be in a couple of sections.
OR, as I asked earlier, do I really need to bother with the modification and just trim the roof as per stock? Is there any body on the forum who has/had an A Tudor with the stock top fitted, or knows some one who has one?

Cheers

Ash
steve the ford guy

Post by steve the ford guy »

Deleted
chester meredith

Post by chester meredith »

Hi there ash.

My 30 Tudor has all the stock wood, bird wire, padding, tacks and vinyl like an original car and it doesn’t noticeably flap about at speed. I wouldn’t imagine it’s the most weather proof option out there but the car only gets rained on three or four times a year. There is some wind noise from the doors, ‘screen and side windows but it’s not terrible. I’d do it again the same way if I was to build another sedan.

My buddy is chopping the top on his sedan at the moment and is using all the stock type materials to retrim it. I called in with my sedan for a friendly comparison.

CM
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of : Adam Ant
28Tudor

Post by 28Tudor »

Hi Ash,
I've used the roof from a VS Commodore station wagon.....heaps of these lying around, as opposed to finding a HQ wagon that someone is willing to part with these days.
As has been noted here already, depending on where you lay the insert into the roof, will determine the amount of stretching and shrinking needed to the "insert" peice you choose to use. The older cars are easier, as they have more crown, requiring little to no shrinking to get them to conform to the shape of the Tudor roof. Yes, I also put mine in with the back of the Commo wagon roof skin towards the front of the Tudor.
If you choose to use a skin from a later model car, ensure you get the roof bows from the donor as well......helps maintain the curve of the donor roof, and makes mating the new skin to the old Tudor alot easier.
Although I'm not a panel beater by any stretch of the imagination, there are plenty of guys who can offer tips to do the task. Get on the "Aussie A Models" facebook page, and hit up the brains trust on there.
Cheers, Pete :D :D
28rp

Post by 28rp »

Thanks for the input ''CM'' and Pete,
Pete first.....-Thanks for the Commo Wagon input-good info that I can pass on even if I do n,t use the idea myself-this is what I think the forum is great for i.e passing on factual information that you have learned whilst building your own project to some one else who is having a crack at a similar project, but is bogged sown at one or two particular sticking points. Good stuff and thanks to all who have replied....
We are on the Aussie A Models FB sight and aiming for Gulgong 2020!
"CM"-you hit the nail on the head with the info I was chasing-I think I will just "pad" the top the old way-I do like ,em with the top covered with Vinyl or some other fabric.
Will call you one night to discuss the finer points....

Thanks to all

Ash
28Tudor

Post by 28Tudor »

We are on the Aussie A Models FB sight and aiming for Gulgong 2020!
Yep, same here Ash, I'm also on the Aussie A Models FB page..........and yes, I'm aiming for the Gulgong bash in 2020 also, 8)

Cheers, Pete

:D :D
28rp

Post by 28rp »

G,day Pete-keep in touch re the Gulgong thing. Will be great to catch up with you there.

Cheers

Ash