JJ RIms to Cusso centres

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
chester meredith

Re: JJ RIms to Cusso centres

Post by chester meredith »

I’ve had some luck with using late model 15” rims by using the centre from a 16” Customline or mainline rim and having the wheel smith turn down the outer diameter of the centre to be a snug fit in the new 15” rim and then welding it in. You may have already thought of this and it didn’t work for your rims but I thought I’d mention it. Good luck I’m sure something will work out.

As far as getting the Customline centre to fit over the bearing hub of your new disc, you could tap out the wheel studs with a hammer and drift, then put the disc in a lathe and turn down the hub to fit. Tap the studs back in and you’re all set. This process has worked for me before too.

CM
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of : Adam Ant
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

It should be possible to leave the studs in place . I had this done to some late XB onward to XG rotors to fit my alloy wheels back onto a 66 Mustang after I did a disc conversion . Easier later when I replaced the rotors and found I could off shelf DBA106H XA -early XB rotors that have the smaller hub .
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
chester meredith

Thats 100% correct Frank. buying the discs with the smaller hub (pre XB) is the best thing to do. I’ve just turned them down because that’s what I had on hand. All good.

CM
28rp

Post by 28rp »

Thanks for the input fellas, so happens that I also have spare mainline rims-complete-and some centres off stuffed rims so that, s another way of approaching this subject.
Also had thought of turning down the boss on some new XF discs I have here on hand-so - plenty to think about!

Cheers

Ash
chester meredith

Hi Ash

Here’s some Dodge truck rims that I use for set up that I think are from the smallest 60-early 70s trucks.

These 16” x 5” rims have a heavier gauge steel rim and centre to suit a heavy vehicle. They have 4-1/2” bolt circle and the internal bore of the rim looks to be 344 mm approx.
the hole I the centre is big enough to clear the hub of an XF disc ( marked DBA 10 ) and they take a Ford ‘49 and up size cap. These type might be another way to go.

I have some 15” x 4” VW beetle rims that have a 344mm bore so I guess I could make some 15x4” wheels with this combination in the future if need be. Oh yes it’s true that these don’t have safety beads either. Just for your information

It’s amazing what can be scrounged up sometimes :^D hope this info helps

CM