1960 Falcon Horn Contacts

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

1960 Falcon Horn Contacts

Post by FRANK BASILE »

I am trying to find some last bits of an early Falcon[1960 US 2 door] column puzzle . Without going into a long saga about how this was messed with by someone modifying the column shift mechanism by removing the detent plate to compensate for a park pawl issue in the auto trans :evil: . I have replaced the stuffed shift collar[honey pot] and missing detent plate . I did note from the beginning of this acquisition that the horn did not work , after re arranging some wiring and re connecting the relay I discovered that the problem was in the soon to be dis assembled column top . From the photo holding the turn sig switch you can see a black plastic housing upper left under the switch plate . The visible wire with a busted lug ,I would say connects with this and in turn some form of spring/brush contacts the outer ring shown on the wheel photo circling the centre hub of the wheel . I can only visualise ,after hunting around getting no where that this contact must be a spring strip acting as a constant contact wiper ,or a sleeve holding a spring loaded carbon brush similar to what sits in the top of the wheel under the Horn ring[this appears to be the case from a photo in an Aussie Falcon Manual,that is not in an exploded format] . It is obvious from the photo posted here of the wheel that the ring under the wheel has not rubbed on anything for years ,it has over spray that rubs off via a gentle scrape :roll: . The other issue is the cancelling of the turn signals . No visible protrusions to hit the turn signal switch cam sprung fingers :?: . Anyone seen one of these before ?Image
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Re: 1960 Falcon Horn Contacts

Post by FRANK BASILE »

I have identified the item now partially under the turn switch plate . It is a spring button on a plastic housing "horn switch brush " . "horn contact" gives up the commonly termed brush with spring . Just leaves the cancelling cam issue now . Play around with terminology gives results
Jeff Hitchins

Post by Jeff Hitchins »

Been a long time since I looked at one of these so I can't help with the horn but in regards to the ............. The other issue is the cancelling of the turn signals .

There is a 3/4 round piece of spring steel that presses onto the bottom of the steering wheel. It has 2 protruding lugs on it that cancel the indicators as the wheel is turned back to the strait ahead position. It clips / presses around the innermost rig of your steering wheel (and is located in the grove between the 2 rings.

Your steering wheel in missing that part
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Thanks Jeff . I will scan the online early Falcon component sites for it
Jeff Hitchins

Post by Jeff Hitchins »

FRANK BASILE wrote:Thanks Jeff . I will scan the online early Falcon component sites for it
Hi Frank

Here is a pic of what you are looking for - I have levered the removable indicator cancelling boss off the steering wheel a bit so you can get a better look at it.

When it is pressed fully onto the steering wheel the clamp part of it is flush with the bottom of the steering wheel boss with just the lug cancelling arms protruding past the lower surface of the steering wheel.

FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Thanks again Jeff . A great help . Can you give me the height above the wheel boss of the cancelling protrusions please ,as well as the gap between them? . I will hunt one down, failing this I will make one . The missing item for the horn contact is now implanted in my skull . The plastic remnant I have should hold a spring loaded plunger with a wire termination , this component is a complete assembly .
I can rip the wheel out of the 63 Falcon if need be ,but all indication when ordering bits from the US . 60 Falcons are different . 62-65 etc share and s on .
Ford did some weird things with early Falcons and Mustangs . The column assemblies look the same ,but internals are different , like turn signal switch/ cams . And Early 65 ["64 and a half"] are different again . I would have thought that the Falcon platform being the base for Mustang would have same stuff to save costs :roll: .

I wish that I could have 5 minutes in an interview room with who ever messed with this . I guess a rubber hose would be needed just to belt a sensible answer out :lol:
Jeff Hitchins

Post by Jeff Hitchins »

FRANK BASILE wrote:Thanks again Jeff . A great help . Can you give me the height above the wheel boss of the cancelling protrusions please ,as well as the gap between them? . I will hunt one down, failing this I will make one . The missing item for the horn contact is now implanted in my skull . The plastic remnant I have should hold a spring loaded plunger with a wire termination , this component is a complete assembly .
I can rip the wheel out of the 63 Falcon if need be ,but all indication when ordering bits from the US . 60 Falcons are different . 62-65 etc share and s on .
Ford did some weird things with early Falcons and Mustangs . The column assemblies look the same ,but internals are different , like turn signal switch/ cams . And Early 65 ["64 and a half"] are different again . I would have thought that the Falcon platform being the base for Mustang would have same stuff to save costs :roll: .

I wish that I could have 5 minutes in an interview room with who ever messed with this . I guess a rubber hose would be needed just to belt a sensible answer out :lol:
Yep would have been easy if they were all the same. In my case the falcon wheel I have and the mustang have the same boss but I don't know what they are like in regards to the plastic bits that move with the indicator stalk.

The pins protrude 3/8" below the boss and the gap between the pins is 7/16"

The width of each pin side to side is 5/16" and they "push out" from the edge of the boss by 1/8"

Cheers

'
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

Frank, when you consider how many Falcons were made in the U.S.A. you would think there would be plenty of spares around. :shock:

Have you checked out U.S. ebay? :wink:

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Thanks Jeff . I will note those specs down . Yes Mick, tried looking around the US . under various retailers selling resto spares ,even the different places I got my shift collar /detent plate/brake adjustor cables from . Any steering wheel breakdown is not helpful . Three years ago we replaced the Mustang Convertible wheel and it comes back to me that I had to strip the old wheel for bits to transfer ,I seem to re collect prising a similar component off the old now that the brain is thinking :roll: :roll: . The part is pictured on one site I looked up ,but it was part of an aftermarket steering boss kit for a replacement sports wheel . Dimensions ? Most likely different diameter as they would expect you to use the original from a stock wheel . I will try my local Mustang parts supplier also . I can look at making one or hunt for a junked wheel with one on it . A guy from a US forum vaguely said the part exists ,but is not too sure of where . Obviously this is a part that does not break or wear out justifying the making to cater for market .
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Well of all the good fortune . Went to the Berwick swap meet ,first stall we came across had Ford Stuff . A table full of wheels ,after inspecting some I found the exact item under a Fairlane wheel ,he wanted $150 for the wheel ,told him I was just after a turn cancelling clip ,and if he had one in his collection of bits . He then said" if you can get back with some pliers the one on the wheel is yours for free" . Went and spent $5 for some pliers and $1 for some pincer grips from another site and scurried back :D :D :D . I slung him $10 for the clip given that I was hunting to buy one in the first place ,that made him happy as well, even though he was one of those guys who is normally just happy to be helpful :D :D .
Now this thing has orientation I gather Jeff, and is either "9 o,clock" or "3 o,clock" with regard to the centre of the two protrusions facing the turn sig lever ? Mine is a US column with the lever on the left ,that is why the 9 o,clock thought .
Mopar Mick
Old Hand

Post by Mopar Mick »

Well done Frank. :)

Restores your faith in humanity when someone does the right thing like that. :wink:

Excellent result. :mrgreen:

Mick.
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Yes Mick. Car folks are mostly like that .
Jeff Hitchins

Post by Jeff Hitchins »

FRANK BASILE wrote:Well of all the good fortune . Went to the Berwick swap meet ,first stall we came across had Ford Stuff . A table full of wheels ,after inspecting some I found the exact item under a Fairlane wheel ,he wanted $150 for the wheel ,told him I was just after a turn cancelling clip ,and if he had one in his collection of bits . He then said" if you can get back with some pliers the one on the wheel is yours for free" . Went and spent $5 for some pliers and $1 for some pincer grips from another site and scurried back :D :D :D . I slung him $10 for the clip given that I was hunting to buy one in the first place ,that made him happy as well, even though he was one of those guys who is normally just happy to be helpful :D :D .
Now this thing has orientation I gather Jeff, and is either "9 o,clock" or "3 o,clock" with regard to the centre of the two protrusions facing the turn sig lever ? Mine is a US column with the lever on the left ,that is why the 9 o,clock thought .
Hi Frank

Good pickup at the swap meet - nice to know that guys like that are still around

In terms of orientation you are exactly correct in your thoughts the centre of the 2 protrusions faces the indicator stalk

Cheers Jeff
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

Thanks Jeff . I should have looked at the wheel from the top in driving position before flipping over and removing . I was so excited then :roll: . Aussie and US columns have the stalk on different sides .