Hotrod and custom clubs. Past, present and future.

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
Big G
Old Hand

Post by Big G »

This was and still is the reason you build a car, it is YOUR personal statement and really who cares what others think, Ok if you are smart (you might think you are) and build the car to a fashion, you may make some money out of it . It is really your business and no one elses.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Founding Oz E Rodder Member
I've lost the Plot
One day I will find it !
fordor.37

Post by fordor.37 »

What about the 'ACE " Hot Rod Club.....In the late '50 s....
Used to meet in Fivedock Sydney...
Cheers
Fordor.37
Retro Boy

Post by Retro Boy »

I was a Member of the Crusaders here in Adelaide. They started in the mid ‘60’s as the Crusaders Hot Rod Club and then when Hot Rodding and Drag Racing went their separate ways became the Crusaders Drag Racing Club I was a member on and off for about 15 of 16 years from some where around 1983. By the mid ‘90’s different factions and internal politics drove me mad so I left but generally I have many great memories of that era. Don’t know if The Crusaders are still going as we haven’t had a quarter mile race track in South Oz for 10 years now.
Cheers
Tony
olskl_dave

Club Member

Post by olskl_dave »

I'm a member of no club :D (NOW) :D ,but l enjoy the "once a month dinner" with the Thunderbirds @ the Epping R.S.L.
As well, a group of us "Hang" around at "Pete's Shed" on a regular basis.... Some of the Blokes there are Sultans Members,both old and new....

Here's some N.S.S.R members with Leo at Bright just as he recieved Rodder of the year award....[/img]Image
Last edited by olskl_dave on Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
Do a skid.......
Cruisin' at Chopped 2013.... http://youtu.be/OVn0Ki8_VRA

2014 Reliability Run Video....http://youtu.be/7KBkWY-ERTQ
Dragferret

Post by Dragferret »

Retro Boy these are for you:
Retro Boy

Post by Retro Boy »

Dragferret
Where did you get those ? Where you a member at some point?
Cheers
Tony
rog
Old Hand

Post by rog »

did it. joined oz-e-rodders today ( financially, anyway :wink: )
... my first club ... like loosing my virginity all over again.. NOT :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
thunder427

Post by thunder427 »

Confederates/Melbourne......I was asked by 'Wagg's' (Ian Wagstaff) would I like to join the 'Hot Rod Club',I had been to many functions (read 'PARTIES') with members of the club so' I thought, "Why Not"!!!

Went along to the three meetings as required,you remember 'The 'Check' you over period,see if you are 'Manic Depressive',so at the 4th meeting some payed up member voted that I be accepted into the 'Confederates' as a full 'payed up' member,up shoots 'Waggs',"I second that"!!!!!!

At this moment a member Halts proceedings,"Whoa!!,Hey, check the club constitution it states that a new member has to be building a 'Rod or Custom' to qualify for membership,has any body addressed this point"??????

"MJ,are you the owner of a 'Hot Rod' at this time"?????
My answer was a simple "No '!!!
"MJ,are you the owner of a 'Custom Car' at this point in time"?????
My simple answer was,"No"!!!

>Now, I should make the point, that this was all taking place in and around 1978/79,I had one of the 'Few' Custom Paint and Panel Shops at that time in Melbourne ('Custom Cars'),which just 'so' happened to be working on ,no less than three 'Confederates' cars at that/this time.<

"Sorry MJ, when you get yourself a project,let us know and we, the club shall reconsider your application,.....membership denied"!!!!!!!

'NO CLUB-LONE WOLF'.............. It will be forever,regards427 8) 8) 8)
NB.When do you get time to work on your own 'Projects'????????????? :cry:
growing old is mandantory,growing up is opptional !!......I started out with nothing and still have most of it left!!!
Bacca

Post by Bacca »

Traction Rod & Custom Club

Back at High School in Boort 3 of us found we were all into rods, Mark Allen(34 Dodge roadster 351), Des Slatter (38 Ford coupe with later SV) & myself. This grew into Traction Rod & Custom Club being formed (I was first Sectary but can't spell) before most of us had licences tho Mark's brother Dave was the only 1 of us with a rod on the road, a 46 Mirc ute with a Y block, our only rod at the 77 Nats but was good for a heap of us to ride in the back.
Some of you will remember the runs Fun in the sun runs we ran, first run was a display of half a dozen rods from Bendigo in about 75. I moved to Mt Gambier in 79 but returned for many of the runs & eventually others from the small town left too resulting in the club folding in the late 80's. Unfortunately I no longer have my club T or Jacket as me wife got rid of a heap of old cloths including these :cry: Will find & scan some of my slides when I have more time, maybe do it at work when quiret & post to pics of past thread. I looked through the pics on the laptop at work & found a few old pic not put on the web before so here are 2 Boort run pics from 80's
Mark Allens & his Royal in background, drve it many times especially while Mark had lost his licence for speeding, go whooa happening
Last edited by Bacca on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1930 Chev Tourer & my others here
http://www.ozrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34879&start=0
Bodgy Bros. If we can't fix it no one else will once we have a go!
Bacca

Post by Bacca »

Unpacking old Street Rodding mags & found some other interesting bits including this with a post from our old club. How many of the clubs listed on the cover are still going. Used to enjoy the lake Fynes run.

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Joined the Ballarat Morris Minor Club, did some time as treasurer & news letter editor. Had morrie ute with dato motor/box, hr diff and dato seats.
Was a member for about 5 years, I think.

Joined the Ballarat Street and Custom Club back in '89. Was the clubs first editor. Stayed with them for 12 months. Club has long been gone.

Joined the Ballarat Road Rodders in '90. Served time as editor, secretary & most of that time as a committee member.
During that time I piloted a '37 chev sedan as a daily for 5 years, an FC sedan, and more recently an improved A roadster.

Have had a couple hot rod projects pass through my shed, a vast range of early holdens, I drive a HR sedan as a daily now.

I sold the roadster about 16 months ago, I built it from scratch & didn't think I would ever sell it, BUT after joining the biggest mens club (divorce)
the funds from the sale came in very handy.
Anyhow, remarried and things are great now, wish we had of met 20 years earlier.

At this time I am not in any club and have backed off from the hot rod scene a bit, but still do a couple of runs and cruizers when we can.

Oh yeah, also joined the Silhouettes in the states a few years back.
Bryan
Bacca

Post by Bacca »

Traction Rod & Custom Club first rod display, we invited some rodders from Bendigo. We only had 1 rod on the road then.
Saw the red Dodge at Ararat last year, rambler 327 gone in favour of sb mopar
The white Chev sedan got wiped out from memory by a driver failing to give way.
Bacca

Post by Bacca »

Found some more but will put the rest up in rods from the past
The Boort members but had other members up to 100k away.
Me on left, Wane Keeble, Des Slatter & Mark Allen in front of Dodge
rowie
Old Hand

Post by rowie »

That Dodge is very sweet!
"Low Self Esteem Support Group will meet Thursday at 7 PM.. Please use the back door."

Chrysler Restorers Club of Australia
I actually drive my 1936 Dodge Resto-rod :)
Bacca

Post by Bacca »

I think this is the same car last year at Jailhouse Rock-Ararat, personal plate so can't use rego to know for sure. Was 327 Rambler powered in 70's