Datsun Booster - Ford Master?

Go here for info on chassis construction, body work and suspensions
spark

Datsun Booster - Ford Master?

Post by spark »

I need to find out what Datsun booster fits with a Ford master.

Datsun 120 Y fits – ??? (Ford XA or Commodore)
Datsun 180 B fits- ???

I need to find out pronto because I am headed to the wreckers tomorrow.

32 Coupe, if you are online, what master / booster did you use?
Danger- man with a dry sense of Humor that lives near the sea.

Image .
santa28a

Post by santa28a »

datsun 200b or Bluebird will fit.
carlos

Post by carlos »

Spark, I have a Datsun Stanza SSS one, same size as Gemini but with different bolt pattern. I have the bolt pattern dimension for Gemini and Datsun if you want them for an easy bracket manufacture.

Regards Carl
[img]http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3014/colemanengforumplaque3pl.png[/img]
spark

Post by spark »

Thanks Calos, I have spotted a Cab over van at the wreakers that has the booster / master facing back towards the diver, It also has a big off set on the pedal. By the looks of it the booster and master will end up completely under the dash and all most in the centre giving me heaps of clearance. I have a RodTech under floor brake setup as a “plan B” if the van one doesn’t work out.

The 120 Y booster is tiny! I remember 32coupe posted a pic of one he used but cannot remember if it was 120Y or 180B, (the wreckers has both),
Last edited by spark on Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image .
32coupe
Old Hand

Post by 32coupe »

Mine is a 120Y booster, I used a Mazda master cylinder but don't know from what model as I got it out of a big box at the wreckers. I needed one that has a plastic see through resivour, and the cap in the appropriate position to miss the floors steel work.
I only use a 3/4 inch hole in the floor to top up the fluid too. Don't need a great big trap door.
Just make sure the master cylinder has the same piston size as the falcon or commodore ones.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exersize machine,

Proud Oz-E-Rodders member
Pep
Old Hand

Post by Pep »

The early 180B ( 1972/3) had the small booster, same as the 120Y.
See ya on the road or at a run somewhere!
Mark Saunders
Old Hand

Post by Mark Saunders »

120Y boosters is available in two bolt patterns.
One fits the L300 master cylinder.
The other, I think, fits Foulcan/Holden
chop_shop

Post by chop_shop »

spark, what sort of van has that combo ??, as i want to have a similar set up in my rod, ie booster/master under dash and not the floor ...

cheers
chop_shop
spark

Post by spark »

Chop, I was on the hunt for a Toyota HiAce van brake pedal set up, they have a bell crank set up that sets the booster / master at a right angle to the pedal- the whole thing sits up under the dash 8)

Unfortunately I had to go to Sale (1 ½ hours drive away), only to find the “Toyota Van” was a Torago not a HiAce :evil: . The master faces straight back toward the driver. :roll:

I also got the 120Y booster and will try to get a master cylinder with same bore as XA Ford. :?:

It sucks being so far away from wreckers, $30 bucks in fuel for a compromise that I may not be able to use. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Image .
carlos

Post by carlos »

Spark, I found two Hiace vans @ Wandandian Wreckers but neither had the setup you were looking for. Couldn't find ID plates, but wasn't looking too hard for fear of snakes as I was wearing open shoes.
Did have a 120 "why" there also with booster.

Regards Carl
[img]http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/3014/colemanengforumplaque3pl.png[/img]
chop_shop

Post by chop_shop »

spark, i too went searching the wreckers for a van with 90 degree booster/master setup, all hiace/torago/mazda/ford van all had rear facing combo's, when you find the van you mentioned or setup the rear facing booster etc. post and let me know, would solve my under floor space issue...

cheers
Chop_shop
GBS

Post by GBS »

Spark and chop shop

There are a couple of things I have done in recent years that could help both of you.

It is possible to put a Gemini booster and a Falcon master cylinder up under the dash of a model A with the cylinder facing straight back towards the driver. I have done it using a modified Holden Shuttle van pedal assembly. There is not a lot of room but it fits.

This photo shows the pedal and cylinder/booster in my current car. The pedal is a very much modified one from a VP Commodore and the booster is a stock VP with a matching 1 inch VP cylinder. I have mounted the booster further back and a little higher than usual so it does not hang down below the chassis. It does stick up above floor level but it is behind the seat and easy to get at. The cylinder is also higher than all four calipers. The shaft connecting the two is made from a length of pipe with a pedal to booster rod from another VP welded into the front end of it. My engineer has inspected and passed everything.

Although the engineer says it is not necessary, I still intend putting some kind of rubber or spring loaded support on the shaft to stop any vibration.

This is a good way of putting a full size booster with its own cylinder under the floor without running into clearance problems.

It may not work on all chassis though because the top of this X member is slightly above floor level allowing the booster to go higher but it is worth checking out. It could be useful in other applications

Brian

klassik

Post by klassik »

Hey GBS, what are the sizes of the tubing you have used there?

O/D and nominal bore?

raig
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will

www.klassikkartoonz.com
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

I have found another combo over the w/e. Datsun Stanza ,small compact booster, similar size to popular Gemini that can take Ford XA-XB. m/c . The Stanza unit will bolt up to VB-VK Commodore m/c 15/16 bore which of course has a proportioning valve incorporated. One mod is required though,the rod that seats into the m/c piston requires lengthening ,this I overcame by using a rod from an old P76 booster I had,which incidently has a threaded end for adjustment. Further to this I think that the VL Commodore m/c will bolt up without rod replacement,as the VL booster has it,s pin below the mounting face for m/c,I found this out when recently swapped a VL booster into my wife,s VH Commodore,and ended up with excessive pedal travel...............Frank.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
chop_shop

Post by chop_shop »

thanks for the info and pics guys, anyone used a cortina booster (has adjustable rod to seat into m/c) with an XA/XB masster cylinder ?, (just coz i have these bits at home) and will it work ok with l300 calipers and xb commercial rear brakes ?

cheers
chop_shop