LIFE LONG RODDERS

Go here for general posts relating to Hotrods and Customs, Pre 71 only!
Ray McDonald

LIFE LONG RODDERS

Post by Ray McDonald »

The Northern Suburbs Street Rod Club celebrates it's 30th anniversary this month. Formed on 1/1/1978 by 5 guys that wanted a club on the northern side of Melbourne. Only 1 of them Maury Stevens is still in the club, Gary his brother joined 6 months later, I joined 1 year after him, we currently have 8 member with excess of 20 years membership. When I first started in rodding I joined the Thunderbirds in 1964 at the age of 16. When the commitee consisted of Bob Dykes, Leo Spessot, Barry Fletcher, and I thought they were old then at about 25-6 years old. The youngest member to join the NSSR was Rodney Black (Rodstop) when he was 17 y/o. He's a life member now. I know there are clubs that have been around for 50 odd years, what I would like to know is, is there still active members and length of time they have been a continous member in the one club
Ray
Intelligence and wisdom come with age - Growing up is optional
Flatoz
Old Hand

Post by Flatoz »

For some Ray it is a life long thing.

My old man and Eddie Ford have been members of Castlemaine rods for about 45 years.

I've been a member for 21 years.

being my mother has paid for him like I asked her to my boy is a member of Castlemaine rods and hes 6 weeks old tomorrow.

got to start them young! :D

Ray Charlton's been a member of Southern for along time, probably something like 50 years.
Carps
Old Hand

Post by Carps »

Flatoz wrote:Ray Charlton's been a member of Southern for along time, probably something like 50 years.
Isn't Ray a member of Thunderbirds?
Young Carps

My people skills are just fine.
It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.
Greg Wapling

Post by Greg Wapling »

BAY RODDERS had their first meeting on 25 September 1975 (32 years).
At that meeting were; Peter Arnold, Helen Betts, Ian Cannon, Rob Dearing, Clem Devine, Bill Duyvestyn, Joe Duyvestyn, John Gould, Daryl Hart, Dave Hutchins, Ray Iles, Cherrie Judd, Richard Lamb, Ian Liefman, John Lieshman, Helen Mannion, John Mannion, Lee Milburn, Ed Narkiewicz, Hayden Nobelius , Barry Slater, Len Souter, Robert Souter, Dennis Statham, Jim Ridout

Still active and members of the club are Peter Arnold, Rob Dearing, Bill Duyvestyn, Ed Narkiewicz and Len Souter.

There are a few guys who are listed above that are still active rodders as well.
FRANK BASILE
Old Hand

Post by FRANK BASILE »

I recall Ray Charlton being a Thunderbirds member at some time also. Was Len Souter also a member of Pegasus at one stage?. Around the time when he had the Tourer "Classical Gas" ,around 1970/71.......Frank.
OZ-E-Rodders Rod and Kustom Club Member #31
nomadawhat

Post by nomadawhat »

Neil Kelly bought his 35 coupe in 1960 and joined Eagles at their second meeting in 1961. It was featured in the first issue of Custom Rodder. He still has the car (has recently rebuilt it) and has been active in the club all those years - Larry had a page or 2 on him in "Australia's Hot Rod Pioneers". I'm a relative newcomer (joined in 1973) and others who joined before me and have remained active in the club include Tony Mullen, Trevor Barton, Alby Olver & Doug Lawrence. Club members who were active early on and have rejoined in recent years include Bruce McCubbin & Terry Coventry

Des
HOT ROD FRED
Old Hand

Post by HOT ROD FRED »

Len Souter was a member of Pegasus.After he moved to Baxter to be a spud farmer,he saw the need for a rod club on the peninsula,and Bay Rodders was the result.
Bomber

Post by Bomber »

Greg Wapling wrote:BAY RODDERS had their first meeting on 25 September 1975 (32 years).
At that meeting were; Peter Arnold, Helen Betts, Ian Cannon, Rob Dearing, Clem Devine, Bill Duyvestyn, Joe Duyvestyn, John Gould, Daryl Hart, Dave Hutchins, Ray Iles, Cherrie Judd, Richard Lamb, Ian Liefman, John Lieshman, Helen Mannion, John Mannion, Lee Milburn, Ed Narkiewicz, Hayden Nobelius , Barry Slater, Len Souter, Robert Souter, Dennis Statham, Jim Ridout

Still active and members of the club are Peter Arnold, Rob Dearing, Bill Duyvestyn, Ed Narkiewicz and Len Souter.

There are a few guys who are listed above that are still active rodders as well.
Ian (Liefy) Liefman is alive and well in Qld and is still an active Rodder.
Mike
Old Hand

Post by Mike »

Greg Wapling wrote:BAY RODDERS had their first meeting on 25 September 1975 (32 years).
At that meeting were; Ian Cannon, Clem Devine, Ray Iles , Barry Slater.
Not seen or heard of these blokes in yrs .... any idea if they're still rodding ??????

Ian , from memory was supposed to be on a fire truck on Ash Wednesday and was called off as his wife went in to labor , the crew later died in the fires ...... Clem , I bought a '34 off ( had an exhaust place in Frankston )..... and Ray had a factory opposite mine and next door to deceased Bay Rodder , Frank Mirabella in Cooper Crt in Cranbourne. Often they're be 6 - 7 rods outside our factories and the Ol Bay Rodder's Bus , ahhhhh fun days ! :wink:

Barry Slater , i've not seen since his wife Joy passed away , and wow didnt she give that Tall T a flogging :roll: :wink: .... The Powder Puff Queen !! :lol:

Interesting thread ...... keep it going :wink:
Greg Wapling

Post by Greg Wapling »

Mike,
Ian did come back into the club for a while, but then got tied up with his band. I haven't seen Barry for years, he did have an engineering works up near Sandown. His son Danny, is now in the club, drives a model A roadster

Will be talking to a few of them this weekend, stay tuned.
mick

Post by mick »

I was a member of the Early Ford V8 club when I was 15, and if my memory serves me correct, so were Ian Leifman and Dennis Statham.
Ian had a 35 roadster and Dennis a 36 sedan.
Geelong Street Rodders have been around since 1973 and we still have some members who have been around since then.
They are Ian Harris, Frank Fiscalini, Peter Raines, Bob Astill, Terry Dargue and I think John Davis.
I first joined Geelong Street Rodders in 1984 with a 38 coupe.
If you see it on a trailer dial 000 its probably stolen.
mick

Post by mick »

Just come to mind Con Papas was also a member of the Early Ford V8 Club and is now a member of the Confederates with a realy nice 39 sedan that he has owned since around 75/76.
If you see it on a trailer dial 000 its probably stolen.
choco
Old Hand
Location: Jerrabomberra, NSW, where, on a crisp winter's morning you can hear the Chevs rusting.

Post by choco »

I joined Bay Rodders some time in 1976, when I was posted to Cerberus. I think the Souters had a wrecking yard at Somerville, where I bought a 4 barrel inlet for my Y block 27T. I was unable to attend a full 3 consecutive meetings due to my Navy postings. In 1977, I went to Canberra and joined the Meteors. I think Alan Cooper is the only founding father left, although Peter Claydon might be close.
I also attended SARC meetings whenever I was in Adelaide from about 1973. When I bought my 36 Ford coupe body at the Campbelltown Swap Meet in 1977, I had an argument with Rob Riggs about that. I went to a swap meet committee meeting while I was there, and Rob looked up their old guest books and, sure enough, my name was there a few times.
Choco Munday, Technical Author, Hot Rod Handbooks
Ph:0412 883 235
Mike
Old Hand

Post by Mike »

choco wrote:
I joined Bay Rodders some time in 1976, when I was posted to Cerberus. I think the Souters had a wrecking yard at Somerville, where I bought a 4 barrel inlet for my Y block 27T.

I may stand corrected but i dont recall the Souters having a wrecking yard , however former Bay Rodder , Brian Kenyon had Harvey Motor Wreckers in Baxter , which is next door to Sommerville.
Ray McDonald

Post by Ray McDonald »

This is what I wanted to see, I'm amassed that Leo and Bob (The Rockers club) haven't said anything yet, also Southern HRC. what about the other states they have clubs that have been around a long time also.
Ray
Intelligence and wisdom come with age - Growing up is optional